Corsair SF600 on a ATX case

th3n0b

Hi,

a bit of sad story :

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/SF-Series/p/CP-9020182-EU

I saw a nice review for Corsair SF600 / CP-9020182-EU (600W) and since this model included the SFX-TO-ATX bracket I thought should go with it. (Since I thought that if they included the bracket then the cables must be as well long enough for the ATX case).
Surprise surprise , they weren't long enough, and as I found out they weren't even long enough for some mini-ATX cases (people complaining about it even on review videos on youtube).

I contacted Corsair Support which (of course) wasn't helpful at all (they first told me to buy another Corsair PSU for atx, and were really uncomfortable with the question why they included the SFX-TO-ATX bracket on it when the cables are so short , while on another SF600 model it wasn't included), and it seem they do profit from these "grey area" mistakes since, they are the only (maybe there's 2 more) PSU suppliers that sell separately PSU cables. [Didn't see seasonic or other vendors do the same].

So , long story short, shady business practices and not at all transparent. Won't buy anything that has corsair on it for the remaining of my life.

Now I'm stuck with the cables that don't make it to the motherboard.

The question would be :

1) Should I go with extensions ? https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Supply-Sleeved-Extension-Length/dp/B07K68NK52/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=PSU%2Bmodular%2Bcables&qid=1553725481&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1

2) Or replacements (i'm yet to find one, as they are INSANELY expensive , it's almost worth considering buying a seasonic PSU instead)

3) What do I loose gain in terms of risks with the extension?

4) Is the above fully compatible ?

18 minutes ago, th3n0b said:

were really uncomfortable with the question why they included the SFX-TO-ATX bracket on it when the cables are so short , while on another SF600 model it wasn't included)

for use on tiny cases with only ATX PSU mounting holes. Something like the the Silverstone SG13

20 minutes ago, th3n0b said:

yes, cheaper than replacing the unit completely

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I didn't find anything interesting so far, mostly I saw insanely overpriced stuff, it's like you buy the PSU with the cables but you get only the cables :D

17 hours ago, th3n0b said:

I saw a nice review for Corsair SF600 / CP-9020182-EU (600W) and since this model included the SFX-TO-ATX bracket I thought should go with it.

So , long story short, shady business practices and not at all transparent. Won't buy anything that has corsair on it for the remaining of my life.

Wait.... 

This is an SFX PSU made for SFX cases.  Every (professional) review shows the cable lengths in the review.  The cable lengths are on the side of the box.

How is this "shady business practice"?

YOUR lack of research does not correlate to "shady business practice". 

Any way.... Don't get extensions.  You can get full blown cable sets that are compatible with the SF from either Corsair or Cable Mod:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CP-8920144-Premium-Individually-Sleeved/dp/B01MYYZ5P3

https://cablemod.com/products/?filter_models=rmi-rmx

As for "other manufacturers":

Again, it's an SFX PSU.  It's made for smaller cases.  Here's SilverStone's 600W PSU, which comes with an SFX to ATX bracket and very short cables:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=524&area=en

And they also sell aftermarket cables:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product_access.php?tno=4&area=en

Again, your lack of research and/or lack of reading comprehension does not equate to "shady business practices". 

19 hours ago, th3n0b said:

.....on another SF600 model it wasn't included)....

The SF Gold did not include the bracket.  Customers complained.  So the next generation Platinum included the bracket.

It's not a mistake.  It's not oversight.  It's not "shady business practices".

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

As for "other manufacturers":

Again, it's an SFX PSU.  It's made for smaller cases.  Here's SilverStone's 600W PSU, which comes with an SFX to ATX bracket and very short cables:

I can confirm that SFX PSU tend to come with short cables.

Antec, for whatever reasons, made a TFX PSU with a 600-700mm long ATX Cable - that is absolutely awful because the cable is long enough to put it around the Motherboard and then where you need it...

Same with other PSU. You don't want no 600mm ATX Cable in a Silverstone RVZ-01. You want a 300mm short one because you don't have the space to wrap it around the Motherboard 2 times and then connect it to it. You want it from the PSU directly to the Board.

Both my SFX PSU, the SX700-LPT as well as the 550W Chieftec have really short cable.

And you want that.

And ATX PSU are better than SFX anyway, so if you don't want to switch to an ITX System with SFX PSU it makes no sense to use a SFX PSU in an ATX PC because its more expensive, worse electrically and louder.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 3/27/2019 at 6:28 PM, th3n0b said:

Hi,

a bit of sad story :

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/SF-Series/p/CP-9020182-EU

I saw a nice review for Corsair SF600 / CP-9020182-EU (600W) and since this model included the SFX-TO-ATX bracket I thought should go with it. (Since I thought that if they included the bracket then the cables must be as well long enough for the ATX case).
Surprise surprise , they weren't long enough, and as I found out they weren't even long enough for some mini-ATX cases (people complaining about it even on review videos on youtube).

I contacted Corsair Support which (of course) wasn't helpful at all (they first told me to buy another Corsair PSU for atx, and were really uncomfortable with the question why they included the SFX-TO-ATX bracket on it when the cables are so short , while on another SF600 model it wasn't included), and it seem they do profit from these "grey area" mistakes since, they are the only (maybe there's 2 more) PSU suppliers that sell separately PSU cables. [Didn't see seasonic or other vendors do the same].

Now I'm stuck with the cables that don't make it to the motherboard.

The question would be :

1) Should I go with extensions ? https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Supply-Sleeved-Extension-Length/dp/B07K68NK52/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=PSU%2Bmodular%2Bcables&qid=1553725481&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1

2) Or replacements (i'm yet to find one, as they are INSANELY expensive , it's almost worth considering buying a seasonic PSU instead)

3) What do I loose gain in terms of risks with the extension?

4) Is the above fully compatible ?

Yeah SF lineup is mainly SFF builds, yes you can use in really any case but when I used a SF600 in a Phanteks Evolv Shift mITX case I ran into the same problem.  Luckily only the 24 pin cable was short and i just used an extension cable but that cable alone costed $20.  To be totally honest it might be as expensive or cheaper to buy a whole other ATX PSU compared to buying new cables. 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"