Is it advisable to use it for mass storage?

SGTechGamer

I'm intrested in using the Samsung QVO series as a mass storage. Hdd isn't a option because I sometimes will have to move the pc around due to church events. 

The QVO ssd is pretty cheap in singapore and I can get a 2tb version for 1tb price. 

But is it ok to use it as a mass storage for music and video? 

My Main System :  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hk4pcY (Silverstone Sugo SG13W) 

My Home Gaming Pc : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hk4pcY (Silverstone RVZ03) 

O

The QVOs have only a three year warranty vs the five year warranty of the EVOS. The TBW rating is dramatically lower for the QVO vs the EVO. Also, the QVO (and other QLC drives) slow down dramatically once the drive is 50% full. If you are strapped for cash (we've all been there), you would probably do ok with the QVO but I wouldn't buy one for myself. It's just too new and doesn't have the proven track record of the EVO yet.

This isn't to say QLC is no good. When the TLC drives (like the EVOs) first came out, they were pretty bad but have become pretty reliable now. The QLCs just aren't ready for prime time yet.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

9 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

The QVOs have only a three year warranty vs the five year warranty of the EVOS. The TBW rating is dramatically lower for the QVO vs the EVO. Also, the QVO (and other QLC drives) slow down dramatically once the drive is 50% full. If you are strapped for cash (we've all been there), you would probably do ok with the QVO but I wouldn't buy one for myself. It's just too new and doesn't have the proven track record of the EVO yet.

This isn't to say QLC is no good. When the TLC drives (like the EVOs) first came out, they were pretty bad but have become pretty reliable now. The QLCs just aren't ready for prime time yet.

I see, so I should still go for a Evo then. 

O

Personally, I use a 500GB EVO SSD and i've written 2.6TB to it so far and it's still working great, while QVO will have fewer write cycles for you to use up (how many times you can write files to the same sector of an ssd), as long as you aren't constantly updating your media, or constantly updating and modifying a large number of files all in one go, I would say go for it, save some money, store your files, and always remember to make backups, just in case.

I would avoid QVO. EVO TLC is about as cheap as I would go.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No matter which drive you decide on, make sure you make and maintain backups; at least one but, preferably, two.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

OP asked a simple question people, the answer is yea it would be fine.

3 hours ago, NetherRealm said:

Personally, I use a 500GB EVO SSD and i've written 2.6TB to it so far and it's still working great, while QVO will have fewer write cycles for you to use up (how many times you can write files to the same sector of an ssd), as long as you aren't constantly updating your media, or constantly updating and modifying a large number of files all in one go, I would say go for it, save some money, store your files, and always remember to make backups, just in case.

I would hope, that’s like not even remotely close to the TBW they’re typically rated for.

4 hours ago, SGTechGamer said:

Hdd isn't a option because I sometimes will have to move the pc around due to church events. 

are you using he right tools?

any thumb drive / portable drives should store your church stuffs more than enough. 

chromecast & laptops and phones also does the job

27 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

are you using he right tools?

any thumb drive / portable drives should store your church stuffs more than enough. 

chromecast & laptops and phones also does the job

I have to bring along a small storage server where most of the stuff are stored. 

O

Folks, keep in mind that running out of TBWs is not the only cause of SSD demise. Other chips, such as the controller, are more likely to be the ones that kill an SSD than the NAND chips.

Jeannie