We Got SCAMMED on Deal Extreme...

jakkuh_t

We look into how to differentiate misleading products from the real thing on sites like Deal Extreme, Aliexpress, and eBay.

Check out the Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Gaming Headset at https://dro.ps/linus-pc37x-4

Check out the Thermaltake A500 case on Amazon at https://lmg.gg/tta500 

Buy Akitio 10Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Adapter:
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KVwk 
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVh8 

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Welp...

image.png.873dd0ac6e89fd5e72781ef4951dc5d5.png

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It's not getting scammed if you're okay with giving some chump in his moms basement your hard earned cash for no reason ;)

You don't say?
Shocking.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Welp...

We look into differentiating misleading website links from the real thing on sites like YouTube.

topkek me

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

That blender is not falsely advertised, as it was advertised as European. Here I can easily pull 2.2 kW from my standard 230 V outlets.

To play devil's advocate here, the title of "...USB 2.0 Type C to RJ45 10GBps Network..." is descriptive of compatibility, not performance.

All you are getting is a thing that works on anything from 10gig or less into a type C USB2.0

I suppose there could be some obscure scenario where you need that wired network connection but only have type C, and usb 2 is cheaper than 3 (or whatever it gets called these days)

But really, it's a con, and they seem to rely on the fact it isn't worth you returning the item and just writing off the 4 bucks.

PS. that blender is the same sorta thing, nothing incorrect in the title. But misleading

TL;DW: Demonstrated tips for identifying scams, using a blatantly obvious scam as an example:

• Beware conflicting info throughout the product page (e.g. spec being listed with a different value in the title vs the specs)
  • Look at the product pic and model number, see if you can Google that for a match for something conflicting with the advertised product - scams often just slap a label on an existing product and resell as something different
  • If you don't know what a spec means, Google it - it can indicate whether something is BS, like 10Gbps networking over USB2.0
  • Reviews lie, and average review scores lie - this applies even to reputable stores like Amazon

I bet the Aquantia also adds AVB audio when connected to a Mac so you could also use it as an audio card.

always look for bad reviews / complains, thats what to be expected.

everything on the internet can be fake, you take your own risk .

just set a budget you are happy to throw away with no return~ this is internet shopping lol

224582661_ScreenShot2019-03-27at4_35_34PM.png.b75356a615f0361d40a71082f9958f0b.png

Read the product label you ding dong ????

10 hours ago, Herbstein said:

That blender is not falsely advertised, as it was advertised as European. Here I can easily pull 2.2 kW from my standard 230 V outlets.

Actually, we can pull a bit over 3600W on a 16A.

Am I the only one who knows that a 4€ product can't function at said specs? It's just so out of the "too good to be true" you can't even miss it. It's like USB drives when I was buying 64GB ones. If it was 64GB and cost like 5€ I knew it can't be a real thing. But those that were 30€ and branded from Sandisk and item location even within Europe, I knew they were the real thing. Yet they were like 15-20€ cheaper than in retail stores. That is significant and I actually still have those USB drives and they are the real deal.

When I wanted a micro WiFi USB adapter, I found one with Realtek chipset for like 3€. I literally didn't care as I was only looking for a WiFi module for USB that "works". Similar ones were sold for 30+ € in retail stores.

It's similar with TPU cases for phones. They sell them for freaking 15-20€ in retails, the ones on eBay are like 1€ and they are really good quality. Over time you just kinda develop a sense for these things and how you prioritize them. When I want warranty and 100% reliability I'll go with higher costing options that have that. When I just need something for "that'll do", these cheap things on eBay are great. Like this $4 RJ45 to USB. If you just need an interface to do the task and you want it cheap coz you only need it once, you may not even care about the speeds. I need to recover data via ethernet for some reason one time, I don't care if it takes 4 days. It'll be done and it'll cost me 4 bucks. But if you need 10GBps, then sure.

Btw, that proper ethernet to Lightning is ridiculous. You pay like 50+ bucks just for the extruded aluminium case that literally serves no purpose other than being big and fancy.

It's not false advertising. It's just that the '10Gbps' on that page decodes to '10 gigabit per some time' with that 'some time' being 100 seconds.

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

what's worse than false advertising are ones that fontload the title as if they were tags, causing the results page to be crowded with mostly unrelated stuff

<- (says the guy who frontloads his threads with novelty tags)

D1L8joZ.png

PICK ONE!!!!

"New Macbook iPhone Kia Sportage for sale (CR2024 battery)!!!" Only 0.40$!!! x 1000s

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

what's worse than false advertising are ones that fontload the title as if they were tags, causing the results page to be crowded with mostly unrelated stuff

<- (says the guy who frontloads his threads with novelty tags)

D1L8joZ.png

PICK ONE!!!!

I also hate when sellers use some stupid low price like $1 for the listing, but when you pick an actual color it jumps to $12. So, they are selling a $1 product that you can't actually buy, but costs $12 because that's how much any of the colors actually costs. eBay of course lists the entry as $1. This is really super annoying and stupid.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I also hate when sellers use some stupid low price like $1 for the listing, but when you pick an actual color it jumps to $12. So, they are selling a $1 product that you can't actually buy, but costs $12 because that's how much any of the colors actually costs. eBay of course lists the entry as $1. This is really super annoying and stupid.

And then there are the listings where they list it as 1 cent but the shipping is the entire cost of the product 

1 hour ago, Sychic said:

And then there are the listings where they list it as 1 cent but the shipping is the entire cost of the product 

that's getting a little less prevalent these days as ebay now charge final fees based on price and P+P combined

4 hours ago, Sychic said:

Or the Amazon Prime "free delivery" items that cost exactly the cost of postage more than the non-prime free delivery versions. XD

As crafty as a fox, not! ?