Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Music Industry Sues Charter For Failing to Disconnect Pirates' Internet Service

12 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Who even downloads music anymore? Everyone just uses Spotify or Youtube.

Downloading some music as I write this ... because the original CD is too scratched up to do a proper rip. 

Kappatalism at work. 

Laptop: 2020 13" MacBook Pro i5, 512GB, G7 Graphics, 16GB LPDDR4X | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

Honestly OP you have been extremely selective with your highlighting here.

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Actually, the ISPs have to comply with the DMCA notices if they want to keep certain protections from infringement lawsuits.

Probably why the RIAA is bringing up money into the whole deal.  They want to make it seem the ISP is gaining some short of financial benefit which in turn the ISP loses protection from the DMCA.

Yeah. Fairly recently a ISP (can't remember which one) lost a lawsuit from the RIAA for refusing to send notices and disconnect users that the RIAA claimed (with no proof beyond an IP address) were pirating music. The ISP was basically telling the lobbying groups to eat a dick and sticking up for their customers and were still forced to pay the RIAA.

These are the kind of people who think that hackers can hack anything with an IP, and that you can get a virus on a iPhone, or that jailbreaking is illegal, or they keep their laptops plugged in even if their battery is 100%, my point is, they’re very naive and would make up their own knowledge about computers and believe them as facts. They are probably the people that complain about why they didn’t use the same Xbox they released from almost 2 decades ago today. If they don’t have evidence then the claim isn’t valid, higher speeds doesn’t mean they’re supporting pirating, but actually supporting the consumers and giving them a quality connection.

I have 512k of internet and pirate so it's not like you need a 10Gbps connection to do that lmao

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

As much as these guys can go suck a dick, I do not think the argument is that the speed itself is the problem. If you read the whole paragraph it's clear they mean that charter just never took actions against people that were pirating. Obviously having higher speed internet makes it more viable to pirate large amounts of content but that does apply to every ISP

They've basically complained that charter is making money by upselling to pirates that want faster speeds to pirate. 

"For those account holders and subscribers who wanted to download files illegally at faster speeds, Charter obliged them in exchange for higher rates. In other words, the greater the bandwidth its subscribers required for pirating content, the more money Charter made," the complaint said.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Uh... yeah. I DECIDED to subscribe to Spectrum... "because I had a choice"...

9 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Guess it's time to go back to DSL because big brother RIAA can't believe that no one wants to pay for their shitty music.

I just use Apple Music / Spotify. Way better business model and you're not pirating. 

5 hours ago, floofer said:

I just use Apple Music / Spotify. Way better business model and you're not pirating. 

If you can use them... I live in Central Europe, in a modern country, the one people coinsider as first world country. It's also year 2019. And Spotify is not available in my country. Been trying for like 10 years and it just keeps saying the same shit, "not available in your country". And then everyone is shocked I may download an MP3 here and there. I also like to physically own things, especially things like music that I consume regularly, repeatedly and in many places. I don't want to burn my data plan and battery on a phone just to listen a damn music in my car because I need to hook it to a car stereo this way. It's retarded.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | AORUS GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If you can use them... I live in Central Europe, in a modern country, the one people coinsider as first world country. It's also year 2019. And Spotify is not available in my country. Been trying for like 10 years and it just keeps saying the same shit, "not available in your country". And then everyone is shocked I may download an MP3 here and there. I also like to physically own things, especially things like music that I consume regularly, repeatedly and in many places. I don't want to burn my data plan and battery on a phone just to listen a damn music in my car because I need to hook it to a car stereo this way. It's retarded.

Just use a VPN to download Spotify/Apple Music - don't even need one on iOS, just change region. Can download songs easy off them. 

1 hour ago, floofer said:

Just use a VPN to download Spotify/Apple Music - don't even need one on iOS, just change region. Can download songs easy off them. 

Why would I go out of my way to fake so that their poss product/service would work? Do they want my money or are they just too much of a shit company to adapt to, I don't know, customers?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | AORUS GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

So now let us now sue Charle Babbage's Family for letting Charles Babbage invent the computer because of digital piracy came into existence and if I go little of topic let's sue him not only for that but also for bringing up a new type of criminals know as cyber criminals ?? Now these companies seem to act like kids or rather a grown up but still having a mind of elementary school kid.

Quick someone sue Charter so they are forced by law to enable piracy.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.1Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

20 hours ago, Derangel said:

Yeah. Fairly recently a ISP (can't remember which one) lost a lawsuit from the RIAA for refusing to send notices and disconnect users that the RIAA claimed (with no proof beyond an IP address) were pirating music. The ISP was basically telling the lobbying groups to eat a dick and sticking up for their customers and were still forced to pay the RIAA.

You maybe thinking of the case filed agaisnt Cox Communication where 25 million fine was thrown out, but the Court concluded that Cox lost their safe harbor protection from the DMCA.

https://torrentfreak.com/appeals-court-throws-out-25-million-piracy-verdict-against-cox-doesnt-reinstate-safe-harbor-180201/

The concerning bit:

“Cox failed to qualify for the DMCA safe harbor because it failed to implement its policy in any consistent or meaningful way — leaving it essentially with no policy,” Judge Motz writes.

I get a feeling the DMCA in the coming years is going to get an overhaul and not the good kind of one either.

This case agaisnt Charter is not really new for the RIAA and MPAA.  Even last year, both been going after a lot of the smaller ISPs as they now shifted from targeting individual offenders to going after the ISPs instead.  

As Grande in Texas was trageted as well by them:  https://torrentfreak.com/riaa-cox-ruling-shows-that-grande-can-be-liable-for-piracy-too-180207/https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2018/09/05/grande-communications-is-fighting-the-recording-industrys-demand-that-isps-banish-internet-users-suspected-of-illegal-downloads

And, Bright House:  https://torrentfreak.com/music-companies-sue-isp-bright-house-for-failing-to-disconnect-pirates-190325/

Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

4 hours ago, Ithanul said:

You maybe thinking of the case filed agaisnt Cox Communication where 25 million fine was thrown out, but the Court concluded that Cox lost their safe harbor protection from the DMCA.

https://torrentfreak.com/appeals-court-throws-out-25-million-piracy-verdict-against-cox-doesnt-reinstate-safe-harbor-180201/

The concerning bit:

I get a feeling the DMCA in the coming years is going to get an overhaul and not the good kind of one either.

This case agaisnt Charter is not really new for the RIAA and MPAA.  Even last year, both been going after a lot of the smaller ISPs as they now shifted from targeting individual offenders to going after the ISPs instead.  

As Grande in Texas was trageted as well by them:  https://torrentfreak.com/riaa-cox-ruling-shows-that-grande-can-be-liable-for-piracy-too-180207/https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2018/09/05/grande-communications-is-fighting-the-recording-industrys-demand-that-isps-banish-internet-users-suspected-of-illegal-downloads

And, Bright House:  https://torrentfreak.com/music-companies-sue-isp-bright-house-for-failing-to-disconnect-pirates-190325/

The DMCA won't get an overhaul until the industries that benefit from it stop lobbying to keep it around and if it did the new thing would end up being even more in favor of the lobby groups. The DMCA needed to be abolished and new laws written 20 years ago, but the lobby groups bribe politicians to do what they want and these industries would rather force people to deal with antiquated regulations and ideas that do not belong in the digital age.

25 minutes ago, Derangel said:

The DMCA won't get an overhaul until the industries that benefit from it stop lobbying to keep it around and if it did the new thing would end up being even more in favor of the lobby groups. The DMCA needed to be abolished and new laws written 20 years ago, but the lobby groups bribe politicians to do what they want and these industries would rather force people to deal with antiquated regulations and ideas that do not belong in the digital age.

Hence, the "not the good kind of one either" on the end of my sentence.

DMCA got lobbied by the music/movie industry.  At most, it be the same industry lobbying for it to be updated to put harsher limitations on ISPs and/or online plateforms.

Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 3/26/2019 at 5:17 PM, Brooksie359 said:

I was literally thinking the same thing. I have rented movies from a ton of different platforms like that. I used to use iTunes and you can easily pay for the music you want just like you can with steam. Honestly for the longest time if I wanted to listen to music at home I would simply play music on YouTube while I do stuff. Now i have spotify premium for the sole purpose of being able to play a large playlist at work to drown out my coworkers. I would say there are plenty of ways to get music and movies legally. 

Problem is most places dont have unlimited mobile data, plus its more convenient have it  stored locally without any form of DRM...

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Problem is most places dont have unlimited mobile data, plus its more convenient have it  stored locally without any form of DRM...

It's also more convenient for me to get everything I want. That doesn't mean I'm entitled to everything i want. I still have to abide by the restrictions put in place by the owner of the things I want.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

It's also more convenient for me to get everything I want. That doesn't mean I'm entitled to everything i want. I still have to abide by the restrictions put in place by the owner of the things I want.

If they want our money they better move on and forget about drm.....

On 3/26/2019 at 12:47 PM, maartendc said:

Can anyone please tell these people it is not 1999 anymore? Who even downloads music anymore? Everyone just uses Spotify or Youtube.

Master Race iPod Touch user reporting in. 

Also Spotify is missing a lot of stuff, if you always used Spotify you'll never notice.

Desktop: 7700k @ stock, 32gb ddr4 @ 3000, 1080Ti, Maximus IX Hero.

Laptop 1: Asus Zephyrus 701 - i7-9750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 2070 RTX

Laptop 2: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti