New laptop battery dying at high %

So I just replaced my laptop's battery. It had expanded and stuff and needed urgently replacing.

It's an MSI GS40 6QE Phantom 028UK.

However, it doesn't seem to be working properly. At first, if I unplugged the laptop, it would shut off almost immediately, at like 99%. I assumed it was because the battery hadn't reached full capacity, as I hadn't done the thing where I discharge and recharge the battery a few times which seems to be recommended.

Obviously I couldn't discharge the battery by unplugging and letting it run down, since it would just turn off.

MSI's MSI Battery Calibration tool, while the charger is plugged in, runs the battery down to <5%, and then up to 10% and then stops.

I charged to 100% and ran that 5 times, and the laptop shuts off at around 80-90% now. I tested after only 2 calibrations and it shut off at 82%, and after 5 it shut off at 90%, so it doesn't seem to be having any further impact.

The Battery Calibration did fail one time - it shut off when it discharged to 80% - I didn't include that as one of my 5 calibrations.

I've experienced no problems when plugged in.

Does anyone know what the problem could be / how I could diagnose / fix it?

Thanks in advance :)

25 minutes ago, Sommanker said:

So I just replaced my laptop's battery. It had expanded and stuff and needed urgently replacing.

It's an MSI GS40 6QE Phantom 028UK.

However, it doesn't seem to be working properly. At first, if I unplugged the laptop, it would shut off almost immediately, at like 99%. I assumed it was because the battery hadn't reached full capacity, as I hadn't done the thing where I discharge and recharge the battery a few times which seems to be recommended.

Obviously I couldn't discharge the battery by unplugging and letting it run down, since it would just turn off.

MSI's MSI Battery Calibration tool, while the charger is plugged in, runs the battery down to <5%, and then up to 10% and then stops.

I charged to 100% and ran that 5 times, and the laptop shuts off at around 80-90% now. I tested after only 2 calibrations and it shut off at 82%, and after 5 it shut off at 90%, so it doesn't seem to be having any further impact.

The Battery Calibration did fail one time - it shut off when it discharged to 80% - I didn't include that as one of my 5 calibrations.

I've experienced no problems when plugged in.

Does anyone know what the problem could be / how I could diagnose / fix it?

Thanks in advance :)

It likely has to do with the batteries not being able to hold a charge or not being able to release the charge properly. The discharge curve probably looks all screwed up too. Anyways, I would not recommend mettling with the electronics in the battery. RMA it if you can.

Sounds like a cheap Chinese or factory reject battery. See if you can exchange it. If not try to find a first party battery either through MSI or used in better shape.

I've ordered another battery from a different seller and I'm returning the first one for a refund. Hopefully this one will work :)

Someone else suggested that if no batteries seem to be working, it's also a possibility that it could be my laptop's power circuit that's the problem?

I'll update if I keep getting duds.

Edit: Got another new battery, working fine so far :)