Is this bad for my gpu?

Origami Cactus

So my gpu is the zotac 1080ti mini, which runs at 90c while gaming, no matter the fan speed, due to bad heatsink. So i turned the fan speed to 40%, instead of auto, which has the fan running at 90+%.

The clockspeed turned down from boost of 1911mhz, to baseclock of 1511mhz, but gaming performance seems roundly about the same, and my pc is whisper quiet.

My question is, that is it more harmful to do that? As temps seem the same, performance is about the same, but pc is much more quieter, and clock speeds are lower.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

18 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

As temps seem the same

That's really the key here. If the temps are within spec, then you will be fine. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's really the key here. If the temps are within spec, then you will be fine. 

Just seems weire that the noise is just so much smaller, but game perf is within spec. 

Im like "Where is the catch?"

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Just seems weire that the noise is just so much smaller, but game perf is within spec. 

I understand. I have a GTX 260 I tinkered with that at stock would hit 90+. It was used so I thought I'd tear it down, clean it out, fresh paste, new pads, etc and watch the temps go down.

End result, not so much...temps stayed at 90+, but a slick underclock and increasing the fan just a bit brought it within tolerable limits.

You might consider a better heatsink, or better airflow.

To answer your original question, no catch per se, I just suspect improvements could be made to bring those temps back into "reasonable" limits

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

22 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

try to compare unigine heaven benchmark scores or something? maybe your game is just not gpu bound enough to have a 400mhz downclock on your gpu to make a difference

also, try to replace thermal paste, likely won't help much but it might. If the heatsink bit that's in contact with the die isn't aluminium you can try liquid metal maybe

6 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

try to compare unigine heaven benchmark scores or something? maybe your game is just not gpu bound enough to have a 400mhz downclock on your gpu to make a difference

also, try to replace thermal paste, likely won't help much but it might. If the heatsink bit that's in contact with the die isn't aluminium you can try liquid metal maybe

Yeah, i have locked games at 60fps, but i was expecting like sub 30, because the fan speed was that much lower.