"low" fps in GTA V with low GPU usage

MultiDJRoni

Hey. 

I have the following problem with GTA V: It does not max out my GPU. No matter what settings i use in game, it just uses about 50% of the GPU and is around 100-110fps. I need at least 120 to use my monitor properly. 

My GPU is a RTX 2080ti, CPU i7 7700k (OC to 4.7 GHz, have not optimized that one yet). Latest driver is installed.

G-Sync is enabled, but that is not the problem.

Any idea how to fix it? The first few google results didnt help (Enabled XMP profile in bios etc.).

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, alatron978 said:

Is your cpu being maxed out? (check per thread not total utilization)

Nah, its about 70-90 peak

image.png.e3eb9b3b15d1bdbb245c42a32321bad6.png

Just now, alatron978 said:

That does look like your cpu is getting maxed out, when running games your cpu wont ever usually be fully utilized so it looks like you're just held back buy your cpu.

shit. Is it worth upgrading? I dont really reach the FPS i expected from an RTX 2080ti in other games, but i always thought i was just expecting too much.

If so, what to? I usually run a few background tasks like wallpaper engine, Discord, Spotify, maybe a Stream while playing. Should i aim for a CPU that has more cores?

Just now, alatron978 said:

If you really need above 120, you could overclock to 4.8 or 4.9 and see if you get the frames. Or you could upgrade but you would need a new motherboard as well as something like a 8700k,9700k or 9900k which wouldn't be cheap. What is your ram configuration btw?

2x 8GB corsair ram. This one if you need more info: https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/corsair-vengeance-rgb-2x-8gb-ddr4-3000-dimm-288-ram-6187671

Increasing Graphics Settings in game will put more load onto the GPU and may reduce your CPU bottleneck, so give that a try. But yeah as people above mentioned it does look like CPU bottleneck. i7 7700k is just a quad core CPU with hyperthreading and your GPU is insanely powerful.

Sorry for the late answer. Would upgrading to a i7 9700k fix this? Or would it be better going for a i9 9900k? (Price difference in Switzerland is about 100$). 

Hope for a fast answer there is a sale going on ?

1 minute ago, MultiDJRoni said:

Sorry for the late answer. Would upgrading to a i7 9700k fix this? Or would it be better going for a i9 9900k? (Price difference in Switzerland is about 100$). 

Hope for a fast answer there is a sale going on ?

The i7 9700K will allow you significant more multi-tasking alongside games than the i7 7700K while also providing a boost in gaming performance.

Worth is subjective to need, but considering you already spend so much on a 2080 Ti I would personally go for it... just remember that the 9700K needs a Z390 motherboard to run, you can't repurpose your current motherboard.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

What resolution are you running GTA on?

3440x1440 (Maybe for info: I have 3 monitors, while gaming i usually have discord and Spotify running in the background and i like to have live wallpapaer on which also increases CPU load.)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

The i7 9700K will allow you significant more multi-tasking alongside games than the i7 7700K while also providing a boost in gaming performance.

Worth is subjective to need, but considering you already spend so much on a 2080 Ti I would personally go for it... just remember that the 9700K needs a Z390 motherboard to run, you can't repurpose your current motherboard.

yup, thats what kinda was hindering me from buying one, but i guess you are right. also i dont think new CPUs are around the corner right? 

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

Have you tried with only 1 monitor turned on, and maxing out the settings? It looks like your CPU can't handle all your tasks in background while gaming, you could benefit from an i7 8700K or an i7 9700K

i tried closing wallppaper engine and spotify, discord is needed however because obvious reasons :D

Have not disconnected the other 2 monitors. I also dont really want to hinder my experience in that way. 

I guess ill get an i7 9700k then, thank you guys for the quick answers. Have a great day!