My TV died, time for a replacement.

I seem to be in the market for a new large (50" at least), family room tv. The last time a purchased a TV was 10-12 years ago, so needless to say I have very little knowledge on them today. It would be used mostly for watching movies (either netflix or blu-ray), the occasional sporting event, and some console gaming (the kids still play console, which is ok with me as i get the gaming PC to myself most of the time lol) 

While 4k tv would be awesome, its my understanding it requires an internet connection, and I live in a place where we have a very strict (and low, 500GB a month) data cap, so all "normal" TV activities would be capped at the Bell Satellite's 1080p (I believe it is that anyways).

I am not restricted to the "Cheapest" models, but looking more in the "bang for your buck" range.

Thanks for the insight everyone.

8 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

What is your budget?

Up to $1500 but would love to stick as close to $1000 as I can.

22 minutes ago, SarcasticElder said:

Up to $1500 but would love to stick as close to $1000 as I can.

Canadian btw

So, is that like $37.48 USD? 

That's a pretty good budget still. You might be able to get into a 55" samsung 8000 or maybe a Q6. They are coming up on replacing the older models so you might be able to snag a clearance tv, or snag some like open box type deals. A solid other option that doesn't have all the bells and whistles and is still a 60hz panel is the TCL 6 series. Supports a lot of formats and is a pretty good panel for the price and for what it is. Also maybe look into a LG SK8000/80 whatever the model is up there. I just snagged a 49" for a pretty solid price today, albeit 60hz it's still a great tv for gaming and looks fantastic for what it is.

Been doing a lot of digging and looking at charts/infographs and the like, using the suggestions you gave and I am leaning pretty hard towards the TCL R617 right now. 

Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful info you gave.

It's a good panel man. Although I would say if you're getting it from like a best buy, get the warranty on it. It's worth it. Quality control isn't as good as Samsung or LG. It's quite the panel lottery with tcl sometimes. Get the warranty. 

I was prolly going to get it from Amazon, and the 3 year warranty is only 125 extra. I figured it was a no brainer at that price. Especially after ready what you just mentioned about the panels QC. 

You better read into what they cover. If it's squartrade, good luck. They are pretty terrible as a company. If you can get it from a retail store with their warranty, I would. Just read into it and see what it would take to get it "warrantied" if you needed work done. Sometimes you have to pay a technician fee, then they will fix it. Also, they mainly only extend the manufacturer warranty, not have their own. Just do a little research first is all.

My samsung tv likes to randomly open their "tv plus" app, and it loves to keep adding itself to my homescreen. I also had to set up a "pihole" network-wide adblocker on my home network to stop all the ads that keeps popping up every time I opened the main menu on the tv. any time you want to switch inputs, open settings or an app, you would see ads.

I emailed my complaints to samsung and they told me to screw off. They make money off it, I'll never get the option to disable this crud.

Very annoying. Had I not won the TV for free, I would have immediately returned it for something else. It wasn't worth having a 65 inch advertising billboard in my living room until I blocked ads forcefully. 

my 2 cents. stay away from samsung. they also have a good history of recording your screen

21 minutes ago, UnbendableStraw said:

My samsung tv likes to randomly open their "tv plus" app, and it loves to keep adding itself to my homescreen. I also had to set up a "pihole" network-wide adblocker on my home network to stop all the ads that keeps popping up every time I opened the main menu on the tv. any time you want to switch inputs, open settings or an app, you would see ads.

I emailed my complaints to samsung and they told me to screw off. They make money off it, I'll never get the option to disable this crud.

Very annoying. Had I not won the TV for free, I would have immediately returned it for something else. It wasn't worth having a 65 inch advertising billboard in my living room until I blocked ads forcefully. 

my 2 cents. stay away from samsung. they also have a good history of recording your screen

my samsung does none of that stuff...i think you have other issues going on

12 minutes ago, circeseye said:

my samsung does none of that stuff...i think you have other issues going on

I certainly have the same issues that most of the newer samsung smart tv owners will have. 

RTings gives credibility to my claims about the ads

Do some googling about the tvplus issues. It likes to open itself, or it will be the source the tv automatically goes to when you turn the tv on, or it will just randomly open the tv plus app while the remote isn't being used at all.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide any Samsung forum post links to back this up, because they have banned me after I spoke up about the unwanted behavior.

The "solution" is to edit all the channels inside tv plus, and delete them. But every time an automatic update is forced down my throat, new channels are added and it's back to the spammy behavior again. 

Samsung is taking this too far

image.png

I almost forgot,

This is a $3,000 TV we're talking about. Samsung claimed these ads were coming from 3rd party apps, but there's a few issues with that

A) I cannot uninstall any of these apps as they don't allow it
B) I even get ads for the bigger better samsung tvs on my samsung tv!
C) Unless you do not have your tv hooked up to the internet (arguably the best move in the first place) it is IMPOSSIBLE to use this tv without encountering one ad

dbPJxs9.jpg

On 3/27/2019 at 9:19 PM, TheFlyingTraut said:

It's a good panel man. Although I would say if you're getting it from like a best buy, get the warranty on it. It's worth it. Quality control isn't as good as Samsung or LG. It's quite the panel lottery with tcl sometimes. Get the warranty. 

Th warranty (through amazon) is from a company called  "SmartGuard". Does anyone have anything experience with them, good or bad, i'd like to know.