ASK; Planning on buying a budget laptop, can someone give me good advices?

Hello, Let's just get straight to the point. I have a budget around IDR 16,000,000 which is around 1140 USD.

and here's what i will be using my laptop for:

1.University task, like presentation, video editing, and stuff around that area

2.light to medium gaming, because hardly any time to play (CSGO,GTA-V, SAO games, Mirror's edge catalyst, and some region local games which intel hd graph can run)

and im planning to try the msi brand this time, which is Msi GL63-8RD/ Msi GL63-8RC.

why? i was aiming for Asus Rog Strix GL503-GE, but i found it has a lot of issues like broken fans and coil whine, which is quite massive, try search that on youtube if you guys curious.

So, here's the spec

1. GL63-8RC series which is 13,000,000 IDR

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

MSI GL63 8RC - 249ID | i5 - 8300H | GTX 1050 4GB | Win 10

Display :  15.6" FHD (1920*1080), Wideview 94% NTSC color Anti-glare
Processor : Intel Core i5-8300H Coffee Lake + HM370
Memory : DDR4 4GB
Storage :  1TB (SATA) 7200 rpm
Graphics : NVidia Geforce GTX 1050, 4GB GDDR5

and im planing to upgrade it with 512 gb of m.2 nvme ssd and 16gb of ram, and the final cost will be around 16,300,000 IDR

or

2. GL63-8RD at 15,500,000 IDR

MSI GL63 - 8RD - 427ID | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | WIN 10

Processor : Intel Core i7-8750H Coffee Lake + HM370
Memory : DDR4 8GB
Storage :  128GB SSD + 1TB (SATA) 7200 rpm
Graphics : NVidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB GDDR5

the only difference is for 1050 ti and i7-8750h, i sacrifice the 16gb ram and 512 m.2 nvme ssd.... but i could get 12gb of ram if i squeze in the budget around 16,300,000 IDR for the 8RC series, but still missing those ssd

both the ram and ssd mention are team elite brand, which is kinda consumer brand i guess, i don't really know.

So can anyone help me with these options?

For the note: i already got acer swift 5 for univ uses

I'm looking for a gaming laptop that could run univ task too. so i don't have to bring both of them. because the swift 5 got like basic intel chip without integrated graph.

do you want to haul around a gaming laptop or would a thin-and-light be good enough?

because you have the Huawei Matebook 13 with the mx150 which can do some light gaming. 

edit: gaming laptop only?

I HIGHLY suggest not buying gaming a laptop for uni. You will not have enough time to play a whole lot anyhow and will have to lug around a heavy computer all day. Most of my friends made that mistake. 

Buy a GPU less laptop with thunderbolt and get an external GPU, or the matebook X like was just recommended. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

4 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Buy a GPU less laptop with thunderbolt and get an external GPU, or the matebook X like was just recommended. 

only the Matebook X pro has thunderbolt. the Matebook 13 does not. 

also never buy the X non-pro. its an old laptop with 7th gen intel CPU. 

17 minutes ago, Nicholas808 said:

Hello, Let's just get straight to the point. I have a budget around IDR 16,000,000 which is around 1140 USD.

and here's what i will be using my laptop for:

1.University task, like presentation, video editing, and stuff around that area

2.light to medium gaming, because hardly any time to play (CSGO,GTA-V, SAO games, Mirror's edge catalyst, and some region local games which intel hd graph can run)

and im planning to try the msi brand this time, which is Msi GL63-8RD/ Msi GL63-8RC.

why? i was aiming for Asus Rog Strix GL503-GE, but i found it has a lot of issues like broken fans and coil whine, which is quite massive, try search that on youtube if you guys curious.

So, here's the spec

1. GL63-8RC series which is 13,000,000 IDR

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

MSI GL63 8RC - 249ID | i5 - 8300H | GTX 1050 4GB | Win 10

Processor : Intel Core i5-8300H Coffee Lake + HM370
Memory : DDR4 4GB
Storage :  1TB (SATA) 7200 rpm
Graphics : NVidia Geforce GTX 1050, 4GB GDDR5

and im planing to upgrade it with 512 gb of m.2 nvme ssd and 16gb of ram, and the final cost will be around 16,300,000 IDR

or

2. GL63-8RD at 15,500,000 IDR

MSI GL63 - 8RD - 427ID | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | WIN 10

Processor : Intel Core i7-8750H Coffee Lake + HM370
Memory : DDR4 8GB
Storage :  128GB SSD + 1TB (SATA) 7200 rpm
Graphics : NVidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB GDDR5

the only difference is for 1050 ti and i7-8750h, i sacrifice the 16gb ram and 512 m.2 nvme ssd.... but i could get 12gb of ram if i squeze in the budget around 16,300,000 IDR for the 8RC series, but still missing those ssd

both the ram and ssd mention are team elite brand, which is kinda consumer brand i guess, i don't really know.

So can anyone help me with these options?

14 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

do you want to haul around a gaming laptop or would a thin-and-light be good enough?

because you have the Huawei Matebook 13 with the mx150 which can do some light gaming. 

edit: gaming laptop only?

7 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I HIGHLY suggest not buying gaming a laptop for uni. You will not have enough time to play a whole lot anyhow and will have to lug around a heavy computer all day. Most of my friends made that mistake. 

Sorry,for the note: i already got acer swift 5 for univ uses

I'm looking for a gaming laptop that could run univ task too. so i don't have to bring both of them. because the swift 5 got like basic intel chip without integrated graph.

7 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Simple, buy a Dell XPS laptop. Nuff said.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-xps-13/spd/xps-13-9380-laptop

Dell is running their annual sale right now. So you could get something for less money. 

Thanks for the advices though, but im trying to avoid shopping online, because univ student can't get Credit Card here.

4 minutes ago, Nicholas808 said:

Sorry,for the note: i already got acer swift 5 for univ uses

is there some workload the Acer Swift 5 cant do except gaming?

also what Acer Swift 5. can you give the year of purchase?

will you be bringing that laptop around or will you be using that as a stationary PC at home?

Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

is there some workload the Acer Swift 5 cant do except gaming?

also what Acer Swift 5. can you give the year of purchase?

will you be bringing that laptop around or will you be using that as a stationary PC at home?

it can run almost all my univ needs, but yeah not very fast especially video editing, but it can still umm enough to get by...

and some gaming session on the go

https://shopee.co.id/ACER-SWIFT-5-SF514-I5-8250U-8GB-SSD-256GB-14.-FHD-WINDOWS-10-i.31203650.1920415933

sorry bout this, dunno if i can post a link or not... and it's around 1st week of october 2018...

- Processor : Intel Core i5-8250U'

- Ram : 8GB

- SSD : 256GB

- UHD Graphics 620

- Layar : Display 14.0, IPS Full HD (1920 x 1080)

my friends recommend me to get the i7-8750h and 1050 ti, why? because it could still be a little future proof (not a lot, but some new casual  games might run with 1050ti in the future) not at max settings.

and from what i see from benchmark 1050 and 1050ti doesn't have big difference in the spec sheet, but from gameplay videos i can see around 10-20fps improvement on the 1050 ti... but yeah im missing the 512gb ssd and 16gb of ram for this model 

9 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Perhaps you could have your parents buy it and you pay them back?

Thanks, I'll try to think about it... because at 16,000,000 IDR price point, it's almost equal to my university payment per semester.So, i don't really think thats a good idea... i know it's my money but some nagging parents might scream and u'll never know the end of it.