Gaming 1440/144Hz Build

I've searched the form, but most old posts are streamers asking which processor might be better. I originally was going to build with a i5-8600k, but then found out it only had six threads. I've got the rest of my build pretty much set, but a recent sale might make me change. Right now I can find the 8700k for $370, and the 2700 for $220. I was planning to also overclock as well. Any information to help my decision would be great! I got the 1080 from a friend for $200.

It'll be for gaming. I'm planning to do 1440p at 144hz.

3 minutes ago, mikeike951 said:

It'll be for gaming. I'm planning to do 1440p at 144hz.

And how much do you want to spend? 

Also, make sure to quote in your reply so we get notifications 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

And how much do you want to spend? 

Also, make sure to quote in your reply so we get notifications 

Well originally I was thinking about $1000, but I also want to buy a new monitor, which is not included in the budget. So if I can save a decent amount on the build, then I might get a better monitor with the extra money.

1 minute ago, mikeike951 said:

Well originally I was thinking about $1000, but I also want to buy a new monitor, which is not included in the budget. So if I can save a decent amount on the build, then I might get a better monitor with the extra money.

For 1000 you can't get a great system for 1440p 144hz, but you can get a pretty kickass one for 1080p 144hz. Would you do that?

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

For 1000 you can't get a great system for 1440p 144hz, but you can get a pretty kickass one for 1080p 144hz. Would you do that?

Well I'm not doing too bad with this current build.

That includes the monitor that I really want. I'm fine going up to $1200, I think that's the hard number in my budget, but then I might get a $200 monitor instead of $300-350.

5 minutes ago, mikeike951 said:

Okay well with the 200$ 1080 it would be pretty fine then.

Couple changes I would make to it though are these:

• Drop that cheap water cooler, the last thing you want in there is a cheap and dangerous component. I'd replace it with a Dark Rock Pro 4. It'll be quieter and perform better- without the (really slim) possibility of leaks
  • Change the case to something with more airflow like the Meshify C- that case will have terrible airflow judging from the front panel

13 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Okay well with the 200$ 1080 it would be pretty fine then.

Couple changes I would make to it though are these:

• Drop that cheap water cooler, the last thing you want in there is a cheap and dangerous component. I'd replace it with a Dark Rock Pro 4. It'll be quieter and perform better.
  • Change the case to something with more airflow like the Meshify C- that case will have terrible airflow judging from the front panel

So would this be better?

I didn't realize the Meshify came with tempered glass, which that's a nice upgrade over acrylic.

1 minute ago, mikeike951 said:

Dark Rock Pro* 4, but that one will do

And yeah the Meshify c is a super slick case, its definitely a  current favorite

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I thought about it but I'm not sure I need that extra cooling. So then definitely stick with the 8700k instead of the r7 2700? Otherwise I might have to switch out the monitor, just not sure what I'd switch to yet.

Just now, mikeike951 said:

I thought about it but I'm not sure I need that extra cooling. So then definitely stick with the 8700k instead of the r7 2700? Otherwise I might have to switch out the monitor, just not sure what I'd switch to yet.

So the biggest difference between the two is single core performance

The 8700k has better single core performance which will handle games better, the architecture of the 2700x would perform better in situations where multitasking is crucial- like streaming.

The 8700k is exactly what you're looking for