Microsoft 2: Google Bugaloo - Android to offer alternative browser and search selection for EU users

rcmaehl

Source:
Mashable

Summary:
Similar to the 10 year old case during which IE had the dominant market share, Google is now being forced the same decision pressed upon Microsoft in the EU, to offer alternatives.

Media:
Image result for EU browser picker

Quotes/Excerpts:

Android users in the EU will soon be offered a choice of browsers and alternative search engines on their devices. The European Commission (EC) slapped Google with a record $5 billion fine in July 2018 for stifling browser and search engine competition. Google's SVP of Global Affairs Kent Walker said the company will "do more to ensure that Android phone owners know about the wide choice of browsers and search engines available to download to their phones." Owners of both existing and new Android devices will be asked which browser and search apps they want to use. Android users have "always been able to install any search engine or browser," but there's a difference between having Google's search engine and Chrome browser pre-installed as default and just letting users find alternatives on their own, and actively providing customers with a choice. Google's solution to the EC's complaints echo a 10-year old decision by Microsoft, which provided Windows 7 users with a "browser ballot" solution following an EC fine. Walker also pointed out that the company had made several other changes following the fine from the EC: It changed the licensing model for the Google apps on Android phones, and created separate licenses for Google Play, Chrome and Google Search. This made it possible for phone manufacturers to pre-install alternative apps on Android phones, something the EC put a big emphasis on in its July decision. Google says it will implement these changes "over the next few months."

My Thoughts:
Google is really just repeating, and amplifying Microsoft's mistakes now that it has majority market share. Although considering alternative browsers are usually downloaded from the Google play store... which requires an Google account, it will be interesting to see how the alternative browsers are distributed. Will it only be the major browsers, or all the browsers listed on the Google Play store as well? What about browsers not on the Google Play store? This will be interesting to see how Google implements this.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Google... The old Microsoft.

It's like Steve Ballmer is the CEO of Google.

Finally! Now make this the global standard.

Now we’ll also do more to ensure that Android phone owners know about the wide choice of browsers and search engines available to download to their phones. This will involve asking users of existing and new Android devices in Europe which browser and search apps they would like to use.

Was this on their own accord or were they forced to do this? The article and blog posts aren't clear about this.

51 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Was this on their own accord or were they forced to do this? The article and blog posts aren't clear about this.

It was either that or another multi-billion dollar fine.

Does the EU do anything besides meddle in business affairs that it has no justification for meddling in?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Do they think people are just too dumb to go download another browser

Basically, yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Yay! I'll finally be able to uninstall Chrome on my Samsung devices because currently I am not able to. The workaround I've used is just to disable it but it's so annoying to still have it.

Also, forcing 3rd party apps to be installed on Phones should not be allowed. I really don't want Facebook installed on my phone. Please let me uninstall it without requiring root.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Does the EU do anything besides meddle in business affairs that it has no justification for meddling in?

And preventing innovation with the new data protection law while at the same time annoying citizens because they have to agree to even more now. Every website I visit for the first time asks now about my permission for data protection in addition to asking for cookies.

Why does Android have to do this and not Apple? At least Android lets you get software from someplace not Google without rooting your device.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Lots of free trade

1 hour ago, Chett_Manly said:

Why does Android have to do this and not Apple? At least Android lets you get software from someplace not Google without rooting your device.

Ah be careful on something. Rooting is not considered a feature. As it isn't an option in the OS.  You are going out of your way to unlock the phone capabilities set by the phone manufactures, and deepening on the phone manufacture, this most likely breaking the phone manufacture and your phone carrier license agreement. I know it isn't an issue with Google own phones, HTC and I think Sony if I recall correctly (maybe others too), but for other manufactures it isn't permitted. And again carriers might impose restrictions. When I say carrier imposes restrictions, I mean for phones that you get from them, and not fully purchase yourself. Although, some carrier might put in their service policy banning users who root their phones (if they find out... which they don't actually care, as they like money... but doesn't want to provide support for you, and if any  activity that affects their network is detected, it gives them an easy way out to cut you out). In any case, one can argue that as long it is not an option in the Settings panel to unlock/root your phone it can't be considered a feature, and should be considered as locked down.

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

Lots of free trade

So then the answer is no.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I hope it will only be a few trustworthy major browser. If it was all of them, people wouldn't know what to make of them. I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of people who didn't know any better would just get a "browser" that's basically a clone of a clone of a clone, designed solely to spy on you and steal your info by some foreign entity. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

40 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So then the answer is no.

People with a BCom would know 

10 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

Most likely because of the market share, though what Apple forces other browsers to do on iOS is worse, every other browser is still webkit but with a different UI skin.

Sure, I'll give Fennec a try.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I remember when this was on Windows that web browser selection window. Never cared or saw the point of it. Could just download easily what I wanted. Was coo it showed some preview though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is for the casual users who don't bother go beyond the defaults unless presented with alternatives. Is it bad to just stick with the defaults? Not necessarily but if all your apps are the defaults you gain a lot of power automatically by virtue of controlling every aspect of the user experience and the data it provides.

I'd say in certain countries Apple would be the 'dominant' entity, not Google. In my country I'd guesstimate that Apple holds 55% market share. Phone market that is. 

11 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

quick question: does the generic web renderer (or webapps) on android depend on chrome? o_o i feel like removing chrome would be pretty pointless (possibly either they'll follow apple and hide default apps instead of removing them, or webapps striaght up stop working after actual removal)

It's called Webview, and "does it depend on chrome" is both a yes and no answer.

From google:

Chrome for Android is separate from WebView. They're both based on the same code, including a common JavaScript engine and rendering engine. 

For the most part, features that work in Chrome for Android should work in the new WebView.

Basically it's dependent on Chrome/Chromium's source code if you compile it from scratch, but as compiled apps (.apks), it doesn't.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

LoL 5Bil $, EU is getting rich by just slapping fines left and right on free market abuse and anti-competitive practices. We could use some of those EU funds from google to build highways in Romania.... oh wait our gov refused free EU funds for that....

I have 3 or 4 browsers on my phone, but i get it most people i know have no idea what a browser is, or what android is or what an OS is, even though they use android phone for the 5+ years, wow... so sad, all this school system is pointless people cant point their country on a map and have no clue what an OS/browser is in 2019, and these are young people... wow.

In conclusion EU fines google because people are too dumb to find another browser?