Kyle Bennett sold HardOCP and is taking a position with Intel as their Director of Enthusiast Engagement

lloose

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/03/19/goodbye_hardocp_hello_intel/?fbclid=IwAR2CyHcxc7x54yNr7Xk4SDdgBUUmTOecb0bkqFnF6VVK-7I_Az_3_LHTzAA

"HardForum.com will be sold to a company that I have done business with for years, one that I can trust to run it in the way you are familiar with. HardForum will be demonitised and all advertising and commission links removed. Simply put, HardForum will not make money in any way. It will be left up to its members to fund operations through Patreon. We already have Patreon funding in place, so this should not be an issue. Over the last year, I have gotten the HardForum to run lean and mean and I have no doubt that we will not see much change in its functioning. I will also still be an admin and member of our HardForum community. I will still be there interacting with you and the other members. Even though I am going to work for Intel, I am still a member of the enthusiast community and love being a part of it. It is not something I would ever give up."

Not really sure how I feel about this. Hardforum and HardOCP were my entry into the tech industry some 15 years ago. He doesn't mention who the party is that he sold it to which worries me a little. Also sad to see any tech review site go down. 

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

HardForum.com will be sold to a company that I have done business with for years, one that I can trust to run it in the way you are familiar with.

Really not sure how I feel about this part.

Also, there were a lot of behind-the-scenes changes in the last couple months that all make sense now. The biggest being that Soapbox, a subforum where you could freely debate religion, politics, and current events was completely purged and re-added with very strict rules. Kyle used to post quite a bit in Soapbox and was not afraid to share his opinions on topics there. In retrospect I think the purge was a good way for him to clear some posts that may not align well with his new position with Intel. The 2 NSFW subforums behind the paywall were also removed. 

2 minutes ago, lloose said:

On, April 2nd, we'll see, though having had a start date of 4/1 at one of my previous employers, and it being on a Monday, this could very easily be true. And the fact that a google search shows that Intel had the position available, but now doesn't adds weight to it being true.

Good luck Kyle.

(Some 4/1 jokes on tech and other pages have started this early in the past.)

intel buying anyone who dares to talk shit about their products? ?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

Thread title as currently written is a bit misleading, only the forum has been sold on, and the site is being mothballed.

I haven't had any significant interaction with the site, never mind the forums, so don't have a personal interest other than Intel do seem to be on a hiring spree. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, circeseye said:

i hope it wasnt the same people that bought overclock.net...that site went straight downhill after it got bought

I’m wondering. Hardocp is his life’s work. Someone on hardforum jokingly mentioned that he might have sold it to his son. I’d love to see that happen as a passing of the torch instead of torching the entire thing. 

5 hours ago, circeseye said:

i hope it wasnt the same people that bought overclock.net...that site went straight downhill after it got bought

Could be worst... bit-tech.net (a UK focused tech news and review site) got bought by a magazine. YEA! They moved 99% of their content (detailed reviews, news and so on), to one of their computer focused magazines that they were doing... Oh and that magazine is only sold in the UK if I am not mistaken. Physical copy only, no online. I think they were hopping that tech enthusiasts would drop the internet for their magazine. ? It obviously was a total flop. I guess the magazine owners were living under a rock, in a cave, in another universe.

Not sure what happened to them today... site seems still up and running and has more content per day than before after they got bought... I guess things changed... but I don't think they'll return to their glory days any times soon, especially that the scene is more competitive with even more in-depth content from better sites and YouTube channels like GamerNexus. Yes, this story was before all this. But still, the writing was on the wall that magazines are dead.

2 hours ago, Neftex said:

intel buying anyone who dares to talk shit about their products?

If anything, it reflects better on Intel than on the person. Intel can always say "ok, then come work for us, help us get better". Whatever you think of a person who is talking shit about a company and then joining it, is a whole different matter.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about Kyle and whether he bashed Intel or not. I do know that he heavily bashed NVIDIA over their NDA though so it's not unlikely that he gave Intel some shit as well. I vaguely remember him being in the center of attention over some NDA  reviews but that's all.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

8 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

If anything, it reflects better on Intel than on the person. Intel can always say "ok, then come work for us, help us get better". Whatever you think of a person who is talking shit about a company and then joining it, is a whole different matter.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about Kyle and whether he bashed Intel or not. I do know that he heavily bashed NVIDIA over their NDA though so it's not unlikely that he gave Intel some shit as well. I vaguely remember him being in the center of attention over some NDA  reviews but that's all.

Kyle has “bashed” every major player in the PC hardware space at one time or another.

4 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

Was Nvidia's GPP that he reported first. That was pretty big and just last year.

Saw this earlier, and it's a little surprising. At the same time, Intel is showing a lot of willingness lately to un-screw their screwups of the last couple of years. That's just good for everyone. It doesn't fix Intel's 10nm and at least 2-4 more years of significant stagnation for them, but the less like a soulless behemoth they act like the better.

Bye objective threads and news, hello RTX fanboyism

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB