Is Guitar Course Worth It?

Hiya!

Hello there..

I was thinking about taking a guitar course in the future but the lesson is only 30 minutes long per lesson?

I ask my older brother to teach me and even after 2 hour i am still struggling let alone 30 minutes and he have teach me for 2 week...and now i can play a little.

The place is about 10KM away from my home and it will cost me around $150/month ( 4 courses 30 minutes each per month) actually around $300 because i have to take a taxi.

For those who have experience it, What do you think?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

For the little instruction time, I'd say no.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

For the little instruction time, I'd say no.

Is 30 minutes considered normal or?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, Hiya! said:

Is 30 minutes considered normal or?

Maybe for like a bi weekly class, but 2 hours a month is not a good deal.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Most are hourly. 

Excellent lessons are 3~ hours from really good professionals in NYC. 

You can attend 1 if you want but most instrument skill comes from practice. 

Youtube is full of guitar lessons. 

If you just wanna learn songs, guitar tabs and YouTube all the way. 

If you want to learn to write songs & play with lead sheets, you’ll want to learn the scales on the guitar & see what music theory you can learn. Wikipedia is pretty good. Learn your scales first over everything. Then learn the interval chart, chords, cadences & you’ll know enough. It comes down to skill at that point. 

28 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Hello there..

I was thinking about taking a guitar course in the future but the lesson is only 30 minutes long per lesson?

I ask my older brother to teach me and even after 2 hour i am still struggling let alone 30 minutes and he have teach me for 2 week...and now i can play a little.

The place is about 10KM away from my home and it will cost me around $150/month ( 4 courses 30 minutes each per month) actually around $300 because i have to take a taxi.

For those who have experience it, What do you think?

Eh, it's within the realm of what I would expect for prices. 

I paid $45 a lesson for 60 minutes from a retired session guitarist. (Played for Tooth and Nail, BEC and other labels that I can't remember)

Sure that was 5 years ago, but I wouldn't pay as much as you are unless he has professional experience, ex: Large scale live experience with a band, album recording with major artists, etc. 

The other part of this argument is you can learn all you need to have basic skill from sites like Musicism, Yousician, or even Youtube honestly. I would try these before in person lessons. 

A few things I want to say. 

- Learning takes LOTS of time. I've been playing for 13 years (approximately 12,000 hours) and I still look at other guitarists skill and feel like a beginner (it's called impostor syndrome, many musicians have it). Don't focus on what they can do better then you, focus on what you can learn to be as good as them someday.

- Set yourself goals (learn a song, for example) and focus on that goal until you reach it, then keep pushing. Songs like Metalica's 'Nothing else matters' or Slash's 'Anastasia' sound like difficult songs when you are first plinking your way though chords, but you get closer and closer to them as you continue to practice.

- Don't set yourself ridiculous goals. Just work on learning simple things like tuning by ear (takes a lot of time), scales (Start with a simple one like G major), and chords (G, C, D, E and A are the best to start with as they are not barre chords). Setting high goals will cause you to become upset because you feel like you can't reach that goal you set in a reasonable time. 

Last thing.

Feel free to reach out to me. I'm not the best guitarist in the world but I'm always happy to help others get better at it. :D

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

38 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Eh, it's within the realm of what I would expect for prices. 

I paid $45 a lesson for 60 minutes from a retired session guitarist. (Played for Tooth and Nail, BEC and other labels that I can't remember)

Sure that was 5 years ago, but I wouldn't pay as much as you are unless he has professional experience, ex: Large scale live experience with a band, album recording with major artists, etc. 

The other part of this argument is you can learn all you need to have basic skill from sites like Musicism, Yousician, or even Youtube honestly. I would try these before in person lessons. 

A few things I want to say. 

- Learning takes LOTS of time. I've been playing for 13 years (approximately 12,000 hours) and I still look at other guitarists skill and feel like a beginner (it's called impostor syndrome, many musicians have it). Don't focus on what they can do better then you, focus on what you can learn to be as good as them someday.

- Set yourself goals (learn a song, for example) and focus on that goal until you reach it, then keep pushing. Songs like Metalica's 'Nothing else matters' or Slash's 'Anastasia' sound like difficult songs when you are first plinking your way though chords, but you get closer and closer to them as you continue to practice.

- Don't set yourself ridiculous goals. Just work on learning simple things like tuning by ear (takes a lot of time), scales (Start with a simple one like G major), and chords (G, C, D, E and A are the best to start with as they are not barre chords). Setting high goals will cause you to become upset because you feel like you can't reach that goal you set in a reasonable time. 

Last thing.

Feel free to reach out to me. I'm not the best guitarist in the world but I'm always happy to help others get better at it. :D

Alright so its a no then...actually i wanted to learn classical guitar such as flamenco because idk its just i love it..Rodrigo Sanchez and Gabriela Quintero aka Rodrigo Y Gabriela inspired me to learn guitar.

They are kinda unique, Their genre combined rock and classical style into one unique piece music.

But ehh i am like billion of light years away to become or at least master some of their skills...i'll keep learning though..sacrificing some of my time for it because frankly my schedules are so tight.

I will sir..i followed you in case i forgot your username, and i will send you a PM if i need your assistance..i really really appreciate it ? i really do..thank you very much ^_^ 

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Learning to play guitar by lessons is fine but the best way to learn music is by ear. Learning theory can handicap you because the music have notes not found in scales. I started guitar by reading the sheet music and they never catch the artists' nuances.

Only by ear will you get it.

When's Lunch?

1 hour ago, Boarder said:

Learning to play guitar by lessons is fine but the best way to learn music is by ear. Learning theory can handicap you because the music have notes not found in scales. I started guitar by reading the sheet music and they never catch the artists' nuances.

Only by ear will you get it.

Seriously? What a load of nonsense, especially "the music have notes not found in scales".

I know a lot of good guitarists who don't read music but it's the ones who do read music that get most of the pro gigs, such as playing backup for a traveling pro artist with little to no rehearsal. Knowing music theory makes understanding music much easier.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Seriously? What a load of nonsense, especially "the music have notes not found in scales".

I know a lot of good guitarists who don't read music but it's the ones who do read music that get most of the pro gigs, such as playing backup for a traveling pro artist with little to no rehearsal. Knowing music theory makes understanding music much easier.

and yet the most influential guitarists of the 20th century couldn't read or write music

3 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

and yet the most influential guitarists of the 20th century couldn't read or write music

Example?

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

9 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Example?

Jimmy Hendrix

Chuck Berry

Angus Young

Eddie Van halen

oh and robert johnson and the beatles

Jimmy Hendrix

Chuck Berry

Angus Young

Eddie Van halen

Thats impressive but times has changed now..

I've been into youtube a lot learning from them such as adam nelly,samurai guitarist,etc most of those guys knows how to read music and its true most people/guitarist they knew don't know how to read music but they wished that they able to..the result is well they start to learn it in their old age.

Idk if you can be another eddie van halen in this modern age..but i say this..Undestanding music theory such as the ability to read/write music is what separate a musician from guitarist,drummer or whatever..

Regardless whether u can be famous or not from learning it is another story..

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Thats impressive but times has changed now..

I've been into youtube a lot learning from them such as adam nelly,samurai guitarist,etc most of those guys knows how to read music and its true most people/guitarist they knew don't know how to read music but they wished that they able to..the result is well they start to learn it in their old age.

Idk if you can be another eddie van halen in this modern age..but i say this..Undestanding music theory such as the ability to read/write music is what separate a musician from guitarist,drummer or whatever..

Regardless whether u can be famous or not from learning it is another story..

im not disagreeing with that but it all depends on what you want from the instrument,

some people need to learn theory and some people should never learn theory

there is no exact method for everyone, in some cases the structure of theory can ruin the creativity

and in some cases it can assist creativity

though if you want a job playing other peoples songs then ye theory is the way to go

, in some cases the structure of theory can ruin the creativity

Example?

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

25 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

I would argue the most influential are classically trained or learned from someone who is. 

Joe satriani and all the people he taught spring to mind.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Van Halen was taught classically as was his brother.  They both know how to read and write music.  Their father made them learn it.  Steve Vai, Yngwie, Buckethead, Kirk Hammet, Joe Satriani, the father of neoclassical Uli Jon Roth, Kai Hansen, Michael Weikath, Chris Broderick, Dave Mustaine, and several others all know how to read and write music.  They are all better than Hendrix, Berry, and Angus.  Angus does mostly blues style shredding, Hendrix was someone sloppy, Berry is just a blues player.  The most difficult styles of guitar are Jazz, Baroque, Classical, Flamenco, and Romantic Era.  Influence doesn't make you a great player, and I'm not saying you can't like the bluesy popular players.  But, that doesn't mean they're as good as you think you are.  The best players take lessons and learn music theory.

lol ....better than Hendrix and chuck was JUST a blues player ROFL

Hendrix sloppy? man you're funny

best laugh i have had in a while

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Blues guitar is very simple, and one of the first things taught to most guitarists.  Translating a baroque piece onto a guitar that doesn't scale properly takes a lot more skill.  Berry and Hendrix didn't play difficult music they mostly use flash and emotion to impress the crowd.  Hendrix didn't know how to play guitar at all, and it's a known fact that he was sloppy.  You can like his music and his emotion if you want.  This guy did, but he was way better than Hendrix on the technical level.

You want tight playing of a violin piece translated onto the guitar?

You're confusing influence, flash, and emotion with skill.  These are skilled players.  Blues was never difficult to play.  Berry was influential because he did flashy shit like the duck walk and was one of the first rockers known with hits like Johnny B. Goode.  The song isn't difficult to play at all nor is most of blues guitar.  Now, compare that to getting Yngwie's sweep, technique, and pieces down properly.  It's not difficult.

your too funny, you're pulling my leg arent you?

Just outside of the debate, good lessons are definitely worth it,  if you practice poor techniques you can really hamstring your ability to develop as a player.

Before anyone says "there is no such thing as proper technique"  I will just reiterate that I didn't say to learn a "proper" technique, I just said not to practice a poor one. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Just outside of the debate,

ye sorry for derail .....thread not about this argument

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Nope, I just know how to play guitar.   Hendrix's music and Berry''s music was taught very early when we were started on Blues guitar.  It's year 1 playing here.  There's not much technical playing at all to Berry's music it's mostly your typical blues progressions that lead up into your typical blues solos  I've seen him play it's more flash than technical skill.  Hendrix never learned how to play the guitar, and his playing is indeed sloppy from a technical point.  He was just at the right place at the right time, did flash similar to Berry, and it sounds like crap to me.  I get from the emotional side why people like him, but he's completely overrated.  From a technical standpoint, there are far players who actually know the instrument. Yngwie alone destroys them on the technical level.  You can like Hendrix, and you can like Berry all you want.  That doesn't mean they are these gods of guitars that you assume they are.  Yngwie is far better at both technique and far more complicated styles than them.  Translating stuff not meant for guitar takes a lot more skill than being flashy, playing the blues, and so on.

we both have assumptions about which guitar god is more godlike, for me its hendrix

for you its Yngwie by the sounds of it, let the age old battle for axe supremacy continue..... just not in this thread man we derailed it enough

Hendrix FTW lol

31c05febfb87f71ebd47b58489030459.jpg

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Most end up going like Richard Benson who don't try to learn to play properly,

Richard Benson actually could play very well, but he has debilitating arthritis and can't play like he used to.  I don;t know why he continues but most of his latest stuff is just mockery and playing the fool because it some how pays the bills. 

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You missed my point which is part of why I brought it up.  Guitar lessons are for technical playing and mastering the instrument, and it's actually far more difficult to master than most think.  If you want to improve yourself on the instrument you need lessons.  I'm sure Barry had some form of lessons, but Hendrix didn't.  What Hendrix did was watch other established players play then tried to learn by watching them without actually knowing what he was doing.  It worked for him, but going that route doesn't always work out for most.  Most end up going like Richard Benson who don't try to learn to play properly, or they end up giving up at some point because they feel lost.  Even if they don't go into some form off lessons with another human being most will at least surf the internet to learn scales and techniques.

There is one problem I have noticed, to be fair, with a lot of people going into lessons.  A lot go in asking to be like Synyster Gates or whoever else is trendy to them that they like, and I would highly advise against that.  Music theory itself doesn't actually trap players at all.  The problem is when the player goes in there with the wrong mindset.  What I did was I went to one of the best players/teachers in my state then told him.  "Ya, I like metal and shred gods.  However, I don't want to be them.  Teach me how to master baroque, classical, and romantic era."  -Exactly what I told him.  A teacher will respect you more if you have that kind of attitude and if you practice that too.  It's not an easy route, but the more you practice the better you get.  I suggest someone OP go that route and establish their own style/approach to playing.  As that's how you get better rather than trying to be someone else.  It really does help.  I use to be in the mindset when I was younger that I wanted to be like other guitarists, but then I listened to an interview from a player from both sides, took his advice, and I realized that he was right.  I think it was Joe Satriani, but it's been like ten plus years since the interview.

and you missed my point ... the most influential guitarists of the 20th century didnt read or write music...whether you rate them or not is irrelevant they were the most influential 

who inspired yngwie to play that guitar? Hendrix

It's not my style of music or guitar (I would call it closer to jazz than anything) but here it is:

3 rather long songs and weird at that. But it Benson playing.

Regarding OP's question, that's way too much for way too little of teaching time. 

I would suggest you to check out JustinGuitar.com. It's free and pretty well  made tool. 
By doing so you can check if you actually want to stick with guitar or not. If yes, you can look for other teachers around your local area. Proper teacher can help you out a lot, not just by teaching you how to read tabs or music theory, but also proper way to hold the guitar, exercises for wrist/fingers.

Now, regarding that debate....
There's technique and the so-called "feelings". Yngwie is well regarded as one of the most skilled guitar players of all time, but plenty of people bash him for the lack of feelings in his music. 
From my own experience, most of blues players with "feels" in their music are just wanking and bending strings for 10 minutes.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold