Upgrading RAM and cooler for my old PC

Go to solution Solved by ice856,
6 hours ago, Cyracus said:

It's probably better to save your money and stockpile for an upgrade.

3 hours ago, Berfs1 said:

It is always worth it to get a stronger cooler, as it can result in cooler temperatures, which allows for higher overclocking, or extended lifetime. However, in regards to your original question, you may wanna just save for a new build altogether. You could keep your GPU though, but I would recommend upgrading that too depending on how much you want to spend on an upgrade. It is okay to mix RAM sticks together so long as they are the same type (DDR1 or DDR2 or DDR3 or DDR4), and they will run at the lowest speed and with the highest timings of the two sticks. However, with overclocking, you can set them to your desired settings. But again, I strongly recommend saving your cash for a newer system as AM3 has shown its age.

I have plan to upgrade but right now i can only afford to upgrade my old pc. Thanks for the suggestion

my pc spec:

AMD FX 6300

Sapphire r7260x

Corsair vengeance blue 4GB

Seassonic 650 80+

I'm planing to upgrade my pc cooler and ram, i have a couple choice for both parts

RAM :

Corsair Value 4 GB PC 12800

Corsair Value 8 GB PC 12800

Corsair Vengeance Black 8 GB PC 12800

I have two question :

Based on their website corsair value runs at 1333Mhz and the vengeance runs at 1600Mhz

the value one definitely cheaper but it run at a lower speed than the one in my pc.

Is it okay mix ram with different speed ?

And for cpu cooler :

Cooler Master Blizzard T2 mini 95W TDP

Cooler master Hyper 212 LED 150W TDP

My cpu is 95W tdp is it worth it to use cooler with a higher tdp than the processor ?

i have limited budget so i want to make sure to get the most out of it.

And I really hope my question is clear enough despite my horrible English Thanks

PC Spec :

Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G  ; Motherboard : MSI B450 A-Pro MAX ; RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX White 2 x 8Gb

GPU : Sapphire RX 5500 XT 8GB Pulse ; PSU : Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W, 80+Gold ; SSD : Samsung 860 EVO 250GB ; HDD 2 x WD Blue 1TB 3.5" ; Toshiba 1TB 2.5"

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

It is always worth it to get a stronger cooler, as it can result in cooler temperatures, which allows for higher overclocking, or extended lifetime. However, in regards to your original question, you may wanna just save for a new build altogether. You could keep your GPU though, but I would recommend upgrading that too depending on how much you want to spend on an upgrade. It is okay to mix RAM sticks together so long as they are the same type (DDR1 or DDR2 or DDR3 or DDR4), and they will run at the lowest speed and with the highest timings of the two sticks. However, with overclocking, you can set them to your desired settings. But again, I strongly recommend saving your cash for a newer system as AM3 has shown its age.

6 hours ago, Cyracus said:

3 hours ago, Berfs1 said:

I have plan to upgrade but right now i can only afford to upgrade my old pc. Thanks for the suggestion

PC Spec :

Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G  ; Motherboard : MSI B450 A-Pro MAX ; RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX White 2 x 8Gb

GPU : Sapphire RX 5500 XT 8GB Pulse ; PSU : Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W, 80+Gold ; SSD : Samsung 860 EVO 250GB ; HDD 2 x WD Blue 1TB 3.5" ; Toshiba 1TB 2.5"

3 hours ago, ice856 said:

in that case look for cheap used ram and get a cooler that's compatible with am4 or current intel

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

8 hours ago, ice856 said:

If you absolutely need to upgrade it, on a budget, get yourself an 8 core FX CPU. The FX-8xxx and FX-9xxx CPUs are both 8 cores, but you will want the FX-8xxxE CPUs as they have a lower TDP, such as the FX-8320E and FX-8370E. If you are going to go this route, I strongly discourage you from getting the FX-9370 or FX-9590, as they have a TDP of, um, 220W. And um, that can cause your motherboard to um, catch fire, so um, DONT GET A FX-9XXX CPU!!!

On 3/19/2019 at 10:01 PM, Cyracus said:

in that case look for cheap used ram and get a cooler that's compatible with am4 or current intel

The one i mention hyper 212 led does support am4, that's why i choose it

On 3/20/2019 at 2:52 AM, Berfs1 said:

If you absolutely need to upgrade it, on a budget, get yourself an 8 core FX CPU. The FX-8xxx and FX-9xxx CPUs are both 8 cores, but you will want the FX-8xxxE CPUs as they have a lower TDP, such as the FX-8320E and FX-8370E. If you are going to go this route, I strongly discourage you from getting the FX-9370 or FX-9590, as they have a TDP of, um, 220W. And um, that can cause your motherboard to um, catch fire, so um, DONT GET A FX-9XXX CPU!!!

I think my current cpu is okay. the problem I'm having right now is the ram usage even on idle is at 65% which is understandable since I'm only using 4gig of ram. so i just plan to fix just that. i think with more ram my pc will perform slightly better

PC Spec :

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 10:46 PM, ice856 said:

The one i mention hyper 212 led does support am4, that's why i choose it

I think my current cpu is okay. the problem I'm having right now is the ram usage even on idle is at 65% which is understandable since I'm only using 4gig of ram. so i just plan to fix just that. i think with more ram my pc will perform slightly better

A temporary "solution" can be to increase the page file size. Press Home button > type "systempropertiesadvanced" no spaces > click "Settings..." button in the "Performance" section > go to "Advanced" tab > select the drive you want to use for pagefile > configure the size > restart if required. For example, if you get a fast 120GB SSD for cheap (40$ USD?), you most likely can use that as a "ramdisk" but it will not be as fast as actual ram. If you have other drives as well you can use those. I should mention that you can also use regular hard drives but it will be a slower ramdisk.