Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Linus called us 560ti owners out on the WAN show. Shall we compare notes?

XionEternum

Okay, preface: This is not my primary system. I keep this system around because it was my first complete build albeit heavily upgraded along the way before going all-out on something new.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1176716?

Last recorded 3DMark score. Old beta drivers.

All framerates are at my native monitor resolution of 1920x1200 for this system.

Unigine Heaven 4.0 Max settings: 24avg, 51max, 12min, 595score & w/no-AA: 32avg, 71max, 15min, 803score.

Sleeping Dogs w/HD Textures @ max settings except AA-Normal: 58avg, 69max, 42min & w/AA-max: 32avg, 45max, 18min.

Tomb Raider @ max settings, no-TressFX, no-Motion Blur, no-DoF, no-AA: 70avg, 93max, 49min & w/FXAA: 5fps reduction overall & w/x4SSAA: Halved FPS overall.
(side note here: Motion Blur and DoF are film inspired effects with no baring on how things are seen in real life; they are caused by shutter speed and focus of the camera. I also dislike lens flares and sun spots for the same reason; it's how a camera lens causes the image to be seen. Now I am aware eyes focus on objects too blurring surroundings as well, but glancing around the screen without moving the mouse to focus on something is annoying with DoF effects.)

I may update this list with more samples in the future, everyone with a 560ti or 560ti-448 or any sort of SLI configuration is welcome to share their benchmarks as well. I'ld like to see if we can establish a baseline here so these decent cards don't get so much flack any more from anyone. Immediate comparisons from surface investigations suggest mine is about the same performance in general to a GTX760. However, that's accounting for different resolutions and alternate settings. I'll investigate that further in the future as well, not enough time as of this posting.

Edit for full benchmark sweep of my EVGA GTX560ti-448 Ultra Classified below this line.

If you need the absolute closest thing to proof I can provide for these benchmarks, here is a link to a .zip containing all benchmark logs and applicable screenshots:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9c1v6uaod3pft61/Benchmarks.zip

You are of course advised to always scan any .zip files for viruses with any available software. Just because I didn't put a virus in it, doesn't mean a snooper can't put one in as you download. Always scan downloads.

For those willing to trust a C&P from the benchmarking log, all games maxed and at 1920x1200 except where noted otherwise:

2014-01-22 00:59:27 - MetroLL (Metro Last Light: SSAA-off)
Frames: 2900 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 48.333 - Min: 36 - Max: 61

2014-01-22 01:20:41 - farcry3_d3d11 (Far Cry 3: MSAA-off, FXAA-off)
Frames: 2215 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 36.917 - Min: 16 - Max: 53

2014-01-22 01:30:27 - HKShip (Sleeping Dogs: AA-normal)
Frames: 3590 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 59.833 - Min: 54 - Max: 65

2014-01-22 01:33:47 - TombRaider (Tomb Raider: MSAA-off, FXAA-off)
Frames: 4010 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 66.833 - Min: 48 - Max: 90

2014-01-22 01:39:10 - witcher2 (Witcher 2: All DoF-off, Vignette-off, Motion Blur-off, UberSampling-off)
Frames: 3259 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 54.317 - Min: 1 - Max: 64

2014-01-22 01:49:31 - trine2_32bit (Trine 2)
Frames: 3052 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 50.867 - Min: 38 - Max: 60

2014-01-22 01:59:19 - HMA (Hitman Absolution: MSAA-off, FXAA-off, DoF-off, Bloom-off)
Frames: 2000 - Time: 54304ms - Avg: 36.830 - Min: 30 - Max: 49

Bare in mind, I do find some benchmarking done by professionals to be unrepresentative of real-world application. While in most of my samples, I've disabled AA where needed to get playable framerates; I really don't notice 'jaggies' at a glance unless I am actively looking for them or it's a high/low contrast such as a dark metal pole against a brightly lit neon sign. For those looking for the highest details without a huge hit to framerates, disabling all forms of AA is ideal.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6145146?
This is how you own price to performance.
"Life is too precious to be wasted in misery." -Me.

I haven't watched the archive yet, can you give me a summary of what was said about the 560 Ti?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

My brother rocks a 560ti hand me down and it runs everything he plays, Skyrim, LOL, Minecraft

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

I haven't watched the archive yet, can you give me a summary of what was said about the 560 Ti?

This. 

560ti owner here. Did he specify the standard version or the 448 core one?

/// POLICE ASSAULT IN PROGRESS ///

He didn't call the owners out per say he used the card as an example of people who lie on forums about how well a card performs

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

He didn't call the owners out per say he used the card as an example of people who lie on forums about how well a card performs

Then I guess it would be a good idea to post real world gameplay performance instead of things like Unigen haven/valley or similar benchmarks to actually prove the cards capability.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Then I guess it would be a good idea to post real world gameplay performance instead of things like Unigen haven/valley or similar benchmarks to actually prove the cards capability.

its a preety capable card it beats a 150$ new card 

I believe both static and in-game benchmarking have equal merit. The latter takes significantly more time to do hence why this is just a quick few I can do right away with what I have on that system. Currently downloading more games and software and will possibly update tomorrow.

To answer your other question though, yes Linus was calling out the 'liars' for claiming their 560ti can handle all high-end games, but by using equally fantastic claims of it having to be on SD resolutions to be playable. While only the 560ti itself was mentioned, I also lump the 448 with it since nVidia did already. The braggers who claim their 560ti can handle all high-end games aren't lying, it is truth that these cards -be them standard 560ti or 448- can handle all high-end games reasonably well at high settings and resolutions. Linus's claim was more farfetched than the ones he was calling out. He went full-rant on this. :P

@XionEternum Did he claim it could 'Handle it'? I thought he claimed that they said they are maxing it?

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Uhh.. Which WAN show did this happen in? The last one? I don't remember that.

Just wanna hear what exactly was said.

Mr. @LinusTech, my 560ti runs Battlefield 4 at 60FPS stable with medium settings at 1080p, thank you very much.  ^_^

This isn't "maxing it" as you claimed, but at ultra + 2AA, I am capable of maintaining 20-40FPS if I remember correctly. 

I'll do some proper benchmarks when I get a working motherboard in my hands. 

/// POLICE ASSAULT IN PROGRESS ///

I have a 560...not a 560Ti :o.

I can run pretty much everything at ultra at 25-30fps(but I lower the details to get higher framerates,for eg. Battlefield 4 60 fps @ a mix of medium-high),but I only have a 1680x1050 monitor,which isn't exactly 1080p,but close enough.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

560Ti can equal a 760? Rightttt. According to Nvidias own performance guide, the 760 is twice as powerful. I have a 560Ti myself. It works, but no way can it max out modern games @ 1080p. BF4 runs on around medium settings @50FPS. Crysis 3 can run on a combo of medium/high, but only with shaders down low (one of the most important settings).

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 |  Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2x Acer Predator 24" 144hz GSync Monitor | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Razer Basilisk Ultimate + Logitech G Pro Wireless | ATH-R70x

@XionEternum Did he claim it could 'Handle it'? I thought he claimed that they said they are maxing it?

No, he didn't claim "handle it" initially, the initial quote was "every game at full details" which in itself is highly subjective: Full details doesn't always mean max settings, context is needed to establish a standard for a baseline.

He then proceeded to suggest this was only attainable on a watch display like his Pebble, which is just as arbitrary and suggestive as initially presuming 'full details' means 'max settings' without a point of reference.

For example: How many thus far have only hinted at it's worth without actual definitive benchmarking, and how many other than myself have done the benchmarking?

As I said; highly subjective and generalized. I don't think such a merit-less blanket example as "my 560ti runs all games at full details" should've been treated so harshly considering this means becoming condescending to the personal and financial value invested in such a card whenever they were acquired. They are nowhere near as bad as he's suggesting, while the afore mentioned statement from their owners is at least truthful to an extent. The 560ti can handle most high-end games at high settings with playable framerates at 1080p. Not max settings and certainly not 60+ average, but it's a reasonable balance of choice between high FPS or high detail or even a balance between them. If his point was to call out people lying on forums about what card can handle playable framerates at high settings and 1080p, he could've at least targeted the 560 non-ti or a 660. And that's just on the nVidia side.

Now that purpose of the debate has been identified, let's get back on topic if at all possible: I'ld like to see actual owner benchmarks of 560ti and 560ti-448 cards so we can get our own baseline going. :)

560Ti can equal a 760? Rightttt. According to Nvidias own performance guide, the 760 is twice as powerful. I have a 560Ti myself. It works, but no way can it max out modern games @ 1080p. BF4 runs on around medium settings @50FPS. Crysis 3 can run on a combo of medium/high, but only with shaders down low (one of the most important settings).

I said 'mine' is. Not the standard 560ti. Mine is an EVGA Ultra Classified 560ti-448. You'ld have known that had you checked the 3DMark link. You've lost your credibility before I've even read more than 7 words, and I don't feel like wasting my time with the rest.

Framerates I've seen back when I cared were on par with what I've seen from the GTX760 in general. Again; I'll need time to confirm this and will edit the original post with my findings.

Edit: Now that I've actually given the rest of your post the light of day; nVidia claimed the GTX680 was as powerful as 3 GTX580s in 3-way SLI back when they were hyping up the launch of the GTX600 series. What happens less than a month after the 600-series launches? Global driver update scales the 500-series to mere frames away from their respective 600-series kin in actual games. Since the 560ti-448 I have is OCed as far as it'll go, it's just shy of a stock 580 with is just shy of a stock 770, which puts mine at around a stock 760. Now, AGAIN; I'll need time to confirm this general observation and correlation of existing examples and evidence.

Linus' point is valid though. People often claim their mid-end graphics cards run every new title with all settings maxed.. Which often is completely bogus.

No, it's not bogus, they just aren't claiming framerates. Linus pointed out they don't bother mentioning FPS or resolution, that is true in a vast majority of cases. But most just see shiny graphics at 20fps and think it's amazing because they likely just graduated from console which often has 20-30 fps in games. They don't know how much smoother it can get yet. Grain of salt here and some common courtesy: they are likely people knew to the whole smooth-gameplay PCs are capable of scene and are still psyched by the much better graphics. I wouldn't doubt a stock-standard 560ti could come pretty close to matching the PS4/XB1 in graphical performance since those already run lower than 1080p/30 in most high-end cases thus far.

I believe both static and in-game benchmarking have equal merit. The latter takes significantly more time to do hence why this is just a quick few I can do right away with what I have on that system. Currently downloading more games and software and will possibly update tomorrow.

To answer your other question though, yes Linus was calling out the 'liars' for claiming their 560ti can handle all high-end games, but by using equally fantastic claims of it having to be on SD resolutions to be playable. While only the 560ti itself was mentioned, I also lump the 448 with it since nVidia did already. The braggers who claim their 560ti can handle all high-end games aren't lying, it is truth that these cards -be them standard 560ti or 448- can handle all high-end games reasonably well at high settings and resolutions. Linus's claim was more farfetched than the ones he was calling out. He went full-rant on this. :P

I wouldn't call that a full rant, unless you consider 10 seconds full on rant mode. It was more of a mention that anything else from what I saw, he just called out an older mid-range GPU he wasn't specifically targeting 560 Ti owners any more than he was targeting owners of 660 Ti's it was just an example.

560 Ti owner here. Great card when I bought it in 2011 but it is starting to become too outdated now. Will hold on a lil longer as the games I play run good (DotA 2, CS GO etc) but new triple A titles are demanding or very AMD optimised.

My 560 Ti DirectCU II runs BF4 average of 50 fps on my 2560x1440 screen with all low settings.

Well I have a GTX 470 and I recently borrowed my brother's 560Ti to compare them. I dialed back my i5-3570K's overclock to precisely 4 ghz and my GTX 470 (Zotac, reference cooler) got a 3DMark 11 score (performance preset) of P5211. I then changed out the GTX 470 for the EVGA 560Ti and got a score of P4852.

These cards are very similar, but if the extreme preset was run instead, the GTX 470 would pull ahead quite a bit due to the 280MB more memory as well as a 320 bit bus over the 560Ti's 256 bit bus.

The actual processing unit on the 560Ti is great by today's standards, and easily the match of a theoretical 750Ti (doesn't exist yet) or a 660, but the memory is a real problem in a lot of newer AAA titles if you use ultra textures and even as much as glancing at the MSAA menu can make your GPU jump out of the case and run for the hills.

Not to mention the fabled "Nvidia driver has stopped working" issue that I was instantly familiarized with the moment I started using the 560Ti. (Yep, it's not a myth after all)

But I digress, I don't know exactly what he said, but it sounds like another Linus diva statement/ sweeping generalization, he's been making a few of those/ getting a bigger head since he started these forums and the live streams took off. TBH, people should be getting more careful not to take his word for everything as he has been getting a bit arrogant in certain cases.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Okay, preface: This is not my primary system. I keep this system around because it was my first complete build albeit heavily upgraded along the way before going all-out on something new.http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1176716?Last recorded 3DMark score. Old beta drivers.All framerates are at my native monitor resolution of 1920x1200 for this system.Unigine Heaven 4.0 Max settings: 24avg, 51max, 12min, 595score & w/no-AA: 32avg, 71max, 15min, 803score.Sleeping Dogs w/HD Textures @ max settings except AA-Normal: 58avg, 69max, 42min & w/AA-max: 32avg, 45max, 18min.Tomb Raider @ max settings, no-TressFX, no-Motion Blur, no-DoF, no-AA: 70avg, 93max, 49min & w/FXAA: 5fps reduction overall & w/x4SSAA: Halved FPS overall.(side note here: Motion Blur and DoF are film inspired effects with no baring on how things are seen in real life; they are caused by shutter speed and focus of the camera. I also dislike lens flares and sun spots for the same reason; it's how a camera lens causes the image to be seen. Now I am aware eyes focus on objects too blurring surroundings as well, but glancing around the screen without moving the mouse to focus on something is annoying with DoF effects.)I may update this list with more samples in the future, everyone with a 560ti or 560ti-448 or any sort of SLI configuration is welcome to share their benchmarks as well. I'ld like to see if we can establish a baseline here so these decent cards don't get so much flack any more from anyone. Immediate comparisons from surface investigations suggest mine is about the same performance in general to a GTX760. However, that's accounting for different resolutions and alternate settings. I'll investigate that further in the future as well, not enough time as of this posting.
pictures please
But I digress, I don't know exactly what he said, but it sounds like another Linus diva statement/ sweeping generalization, he's been making a few of those/ getting a bigger head since he started these forums and the live streams took off. TBH, people should be getting more careful not to take his word for everything as he has been getting a bit arrogant in certain cases.
Or he's using an example OR since he has been working for himself he is acting more like himself, I can trust a person who speaks there mind