With mantle on its way.....

RightfulNerd

should i upgrade from my gtx 560ti to an amd card and do you think mantle will be worth it 

@Ryantech95

1) Upgrade only if you feel like you can't run the games you want at the resolution and details you want to.

2) No. Personally I have no belief in that Mantle will ever become big enough to mean something and I would consider it stupid going AMD just because of that.

A Norwegian saying is "Selg ikke skinnet før bjørnen er skutt/Don't sell the pelt before the bear is shot". Don't buy because of technologies we haven't even seen/properly seen yet ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

should i upgrade from my gtx 560ti to an amd card and do you think mantle will be worth it 

We can't know for sure if Mantle will be worth much at all, it's up to companies to seize the opportunity and support AMD.

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

No. Mantle is being sold by AMD as providing "up-to" an increase of 45% in performance.

That's all fine and dandy, but the average performance gain likely won't be anywhere near that. Not to mention, the only games that will benefit from Mantle are games that are specifically optimized to work using Mantle. Every other game won't see a difference with Mantle.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Never ever ever EVER buy based off of theoretical performance. It's like pre-ordering a game based on the publisher's promises, you're almost sure to be dissapointed.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

No.

Don't buy something that hasn't been proven yet. In a year or so you should be able to get a better feel for how Mantle performs (hopefully).

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Never ever ever EVER buy based off of theoretical performance. It's like pre-ordering a game based on the publisher's promises, you're almost sure to be dissapointed.

*Cough* Total War: Rome 2 *Cough*

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Since it's coming so soon you could just wait and see see the results =P An upgrade would probably be nice but i wouldn't upgrade just for mantle. It's still a unknown as to how much of a performance impact it's going to have and well how much of a impact it's going to have overall in terms of game development. Upgrade for the sake of upgrading, Not just for mantle =).

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

No. Mantle is being sold by AMD as providing "up-to" an increase of 45% in performance.

That's all fine and dandy, but the average performance gain likely won't be anywhere near that. Not to mention, the only games that will benefit from Mantle are games that are specifically optimized to work using Mantle. Every other game won't see a difference with Mantle.

I couldn't agree more.

The real question is do you need to upgrade? Or could you lower settings and put it off for a couple of months to save a bit more money towards a better graphics card?

*Cough* Total War: Rome 2 *Cough*

Yeah that's a prime example. Just wait till it releases, they aren't gonna exactly run out of copies.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

i dont think you know how mantle works u dont just have everygame working with mantle. a game either has support for it or not. there is no "optimization" here. other games just wont support it

780 or 780ti. Don't wait for mantle cause you might just end up waiting forever.

780 or 780ti. Don't wait for mantle cause you might just end up waiting forever.

Why would you say that? We have the Mantle drivers scheduled for release this week...

And we have about 5 Mantle games coming in early-mid 2014, 30 by 2015.

Why would you say that? We have the Mantle drivers scheduled for release this week...

And we have about 5 Mantle games coming in early-mid 2014, 30 by 2015.

He probably didnt know about the recently talked about driver update.

Because he has a Nvidia card, most Nvidia owners need not know about AMD's updates.....ie:Mantle, even if its posted everywhere on the forums :P

Thinking improvements will be minimal as I'm GPU bound anyway, still excited however.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

He probably didnt know about the recently talked about driver update.

Because he has a Nvidia card, most Nvidia owners need not know about AMD's updates.....ie:Mantle, even if its posted everywhere on the forums :P

Thinking improvements will be minimal as I'm GPU bound anyway, still excited however.

I have 2 280x's and a 3570k, so I'm heavily CPU bound in BF4, good news for me :D

I have 2 280x's and a 3570k, so I'm heavily CPU bound in BF4, good news for me :D

Looking into grabbing my brothers 7950 soon,. meaning similar situation.

Or sell it and get a 290, to which I'll want another... to which similar situation :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

i dont think you know how mantle works u dont just have everygame working with mantle. a game either has support for it or not. there is no "optimization" here. other games just wont support it

I don't think you read/understood what I said.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

I wish people would stop just recommending nVidia products because they have no belief in mantle. Here are the facts. 280x and 770 are evenly matched on average. 290 and 780 are so close that it doesnt matter in alot of games ( and are 100% bona fide overkill for 1080p 60hz, do not buy them for that). 290x and 780ti are the ultra high end and are only useful for 1440/1600p or 144hz 1080p (NOT 4k, we arent that good yet peeps). 780ti does edge out ahead and if you are looking to spend darn near $900 then yes it is preferable to go green team, but everything below is almost pure preference.

So here is the simple recommendation. Make a list of the AAA games you most play, find out which team red or green is better optimized for the majority of your games, and then try to find that teams card at a price cheaper than the other teams. For example, a 770 plays your titles better and so you would try to find one for cheaper than a 280x, otherwise there is no real difference for 80% of people out there. Consider if you are planning a monitor upgrade, especially if you feel you have the extra cash to part with for a 1440p or G-Sync (or both) as this may sway you to one side or the other. Don't bother with 4k. Just don't. Its not worth it at the moment unless you are a workstation professional. The only other factor to consider is if you stream a lot and the relief on your CPU that shadowplay provides may also be of benefit. 

Basically everything else if irrelevant, both sides have stable drivers that work 98% of the time if you use the WQHL's, both sides have game optimization software and all the rest.

I wish people would stop just recommending nVidia products because they have no belief in mantle. Here are the facts. 280x and 770 are evenly matched on average. 290 and 780 are so close that it doesnt matter in alot of games ( and are 100% bona fide overkill for 1080p 60hz, do not buy them for that). 290x and 780ti are the ultra high end and are only useful for 1440/1600p or 144hz 1080p (NOT 4k, we arent that good yet peeps). 780ti does edge out ahead and if you are looking to spend darn near $900 then yes it is preferable to go green team, but everything below is almost pure preference.

So here is the simple recommendation. Make a list of the AAA games you most play, find out which team red or green is better optimized for the majority of your games, and then try to find that teams card at a price cheaper than the other teams. For example, a 770 plays your titles better and so you would try to find one for cheaper than a 280x, otherwise there is no real difference for 80% of people out there. Consider if you are planning a monitor upgrade, especially if you feel you have the extra cash to part with for a 1440p or G-Sync (or both) as this may sway you to one side or the other. Don't bother with 4k. Just don't. Its not worth it at the moment unless you are a workstation professional. The only other factor to consider is if you stream a lot and the relief on your CPU that shadowplay provides may also be of benefit. 

Basically everything else if irrelevant, both sides have stable drivers that work 98% of the time if you use the WQHL's, both sides have game optimization software and all the rest.

Finally some logic :D

I don't think you read/understood what I said.

"Not to mention, the only games that will benefit from Mantle are games that are specifically optimized to work using Mantle."

specifically optimized? its either using mantle or not  mantle will NOT cmoe into effect of games that dont use the API

a game either usses mantle or it doesnt

Nope. Mantle is currently overhyped. Wait until in-game benchmarks by real reviewers (Anandtech, Linus) come out. If you want to upgrade your GPU now, get a 770 or 780.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Nope. Mantle is currently overhyped. Wait until in-game benchmarks by real reviewers (Anandtech, Linus) come out. If you want to upgrade your GPU now, get a 770 or 780.

Why only recommend those two? For god sakes people when giving recommendations you need to qualify what you say so that the original poster has the full picture, not just a model number and your word. Give him/her facts, figures, features and the justification of your belief in the product.