[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,

I see, i thought the gx-s seems on a good value for a 750w gold though I really eyeing on mwe 650 gold since its more affordable

18 minutes ago, emhelmark said:

I see, i thought the gx-s seems on a good value for a 750w gold though I really eyeing on mwe 650 gold since its more affordable

i mean... it's about the same level I'd say

and i don't think you're planning on a 3700x and a 2080 ti sli any time soon?

nope, 6-core user only here since I won't be upgrading resolution anyway. Maybe 1080p240hz in time but not higher than that, current is 1080p144hz

And no to expensive GPUs, I barely can't save for 5700/5700xt but its seems they'll do me good for long so I'm starting to save for it.

So anyway,, go with mwe gold despite the coil whining as other person said? I believe the tier lost on page one more btw.

14 minutes ago, emhelmark said:

So anyway,, go with mwe gold despite the coil whining as other person said?

the mwe isn't a double forward, so it's not THAT likely for you to happen anyways

The EVGA BV has never been on the tier list, I know the B series has a lot of variation, such as the B3 vs the Bt/BQ. Would love to know if it's any good.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

53 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

@OrionFOTL what info do you have on the mwe v2 PSUs?

The first time I saw them was in @-The_Mask-'s thread here, so here it is: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16714-Cooler-Master-MWE-V2-and-MWE-Bronze-V2-LLC-SR-DC-DC

As you can see (or read if you can't see), it's half bridge LLC with DC-DC converters and synchro rectification manufactured by Gospell, and there are a couple tests already done at Cybenetics.

9 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

As you can see (or read if you can't see), it's half bridge LLC with DC-DC converters and synchro rectification manufactured by Gospell, and there are a couple tests already done at Cybenetics.

that is... impressive

i'll keep that in mind for sure

What aspects put the RM650 (2019) significantly above the TX650M (2017), or rather why it's considered an ultra high-end item? I'm aware of the fully vs semi-modular difference, but the omissions being ATX and CPU I don't really see it mattering, as well as the extra 3 yrs warrenty for the RM 2019.

The couple of reviews floating about seemed to imply the RM 2019 used inferior components to the RMx that was significant enough to emphasise the differences, while it felt like the TXM 2017 compared to the RMx was really about having less features and not so much build/component quality. I'm also aware that the TXM praise is mostly based on the TX750M, but afaik the TX650M is supposed to be "close enough" and "more or less applicable".

20 minutes ago, Delicious Cake said:

What aspects put the RM650 (2019) significantly above the TX650M (2017),

Hello there!

TXM(2017) is arguably a superior product than the RM (2019) if you don't mind the semi-modular and a bit louder operation noise... the tier list is undergoing major changes soon to be released to the public and this is part of what's coming to change.

Thank you for your reply and stay tuned for the upcoming changes!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

14 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Hello there!

TXM(2017) is arguably a superior product than the RM (2019) if you don't mind the semi-modular and a bit louder operation noise... the tier list is undergoing major changes soon to be released to the public and this is part of what's coming to change.

Thank you for your reply and stay tuned for the upcoming changes!

I saw that list already, but it actually has a lot of the mistakes. Way to much focus on just one or two things that are made way to important. If you focus on just one or two downsides and don't look at the other downsides or upsides you just get a bad list. So I'll say it again, don't focus on one or two things but look at everything.

Some years ago people only focused on Japanese capacitors and didn't care about the rest of the PSU. Now people here trying to start the next "just focus on one thing" hype.

39 minutes ago, -The_Mask- said:

I saw that list already, but it actually has a lot of the mistakes. Way to much focus on just one or two things that are made way to important.

i mean... feel free to suggest things, but if you start to tier on everything in a psu (noise, performance, protections and so on) you get a hard subjective touch to it, which was the point to rule out

if you have anything, feel free to pm or leave it here or there

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and looking to upgrade my pre-build PC with a GTX 1660 ti and so need to also upgrade the PSU. Currently I have an i5-4670k and a gtx 660 and a no brand 580w PSU. I was looking at the Tier List but just wanted to ask also because I'm stuck between choosing a PSU. My 2 choices are corsair tx550m and seasonic m12ii 620w. Which one do you guys recommend more.

1 minute ago, TomiCroatia said:

My 2 choices are corsair tx550m and seasonic m12ii 620w

without any doubt a tx550m

the m12ii lacks undervoltage protection, regulates 5v and 12v together and doesn't meet c6 crossloads, while the tx550m is better built, has uvp, regulates everything separately and does meet the crossloads

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and looking to upgrade my pre-build PC with a GTX 1660 ti and so need to also upgrade the PSU. Currently I have an i5-4670k and a gtx 660 and a no brand 580w PSU. I was looking at the Tier List but just wanted to ask also because I'm stuck between choosing a PSU. My 2 choices are corsair tx550m and seasonic m12ii 620w. Which one do you guys recommend more.

If you truly looked at the tier list, you would not even ask such a question :) 

TX550M is your pick! BTW, 400w would be enough for that rig. Any chance for 450w bitfenix whisper?

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

Thanks for the fast reply! Don't want to bother you to much but you think 550w is enough for any future upgrades aswell?

Just now, TomiCroatia said:

Thanks for the fast reply! Don't want to bother you to much but you think 550w is enough for any future upgrades aswell?

that 1660 ti? no problem

yes. 550w will handle a 9900k with AMD RX5700XT or RTX2070Super finely. 550w is plenty for the majority of single GPU systems.

1 minute ago, Vejnemojnen said:

yes. 550w will handle a 9900k with AMD RX5700XT or RTX2070Super finely. 550w is plenty for the majority of single GPU systems.

that would be quite borderline... but yeah, it technically would

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you know... you should look into the enermax revolution d.f one day?

Hmm ~ below 100 Euros, 650W gold, looks fine. 

The 550W was just a guess. Techspot uses an overclocked i9 9900k (5.0ghz all-core) with 3400Mhz RAM-s on their GPU testing rig, and here are some numbers measured while gaming:

"For testing we’ve used our usual gaming rig comprised of an Intel Core i9-9900K clocked at 5 GHz with 32GB of DDR4-3400 memory."

Power2.png