[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
Just now, OrionFOTL said:

Thanks! Indeed they did.

So what's the chances of the platform, I am betting its not going to be a custom design with EVGAs history. And judging by the current FSP platforms quality doesnt look spectacular.

1 minute ago, Matsozetex said:

So what's the chances of the platform, I am betting its not going to be a custom design with EVGAs history. And judging by the current FSP platforms quality doesnt look spectacular.

It's not the platform from Hydro G Pro.

Nor the platform from Hydro G.

Nor the platform from Hydro X.

Nor the ACRF Raider II (used in old GD, Pure Power 11, EVGA GQ)

Nor the double forward Raider II (Hydro GE).

Which platform it is then? Idk!

Just now, OrionFOTL said:

Which platform it is then? Idk!

that platform they used in the g5?

Looking through the back, I'd say something close to FSP Hexa 85+/Raider II low wattage models/Hydro GE.

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, -The_Mask- said:

Looking through the back, I'd say something close to FSP Hexa 85+/Raider II low wattage models/Hydro GE.

spacer.png

It has bridge rectifiers and one choke in a different place, but it probably is the low Raider II/GE in the end... it fits very well as a very cheap 80+ Gold platform for those PSUs.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:54 PM, komi1997 said:

I'd get Straight Power 11 550W if you have quiet fans in your case, if you got crappy fans it won't make a difference, go for RM550x for longer warranty
i got Pure Power 11 with same exact(silent wings 3) fan, and it's inaudible even at max rpm as max rpm is set rly low, it's as quiet as my Noctua 120mm fans on 950-1000rpm

Thanks for replying.

I will use a Fractal Define case, sound dampened and get a silent CPU cooler. As far as I know the powercolor red devil 5700xt has a semi-passive mode, so it will be quiet too.

On 9/5/2019 at 1:19 AM, Results45 said:

What country do you live in? Cuz if you're going for a quiet build (based on your models you're already looking at), I would also recommend looking at a Corsair RMi/RMx, Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum/Titanium, Be Quiet Straight Power 11, or Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum:

650/660W PSU Picks:

600W PSU Picks:

550/560W PSU Picks:

500W PSU Picks:

Corsair RMi, RMx,& TMx Reviews:

Bitfenix Whisper Reviews:

Be Quiet! Straight & Pure Power Reviews:

Fractal Design Ion+ Review:

As for wattage I would go for a 550W (or even 600/650W if you find a good deal at the same price as a 500/550W model). You'll get not only better rated efficiency but more wattage headroom if you decide a few years from now to upgrade to a more power-hungry CPU or higher-end/second graphics card. ;)

It should be the same general design and similar parts; higher wattage probably means the components can take that same 110V+ @ <1A input and convert it to a higher watt DC output. 

Another MWE Gold 750W review:

https://pcper.com/2019/01/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750w-full-modular-power-supply-review/5/#ftoc-heading-6

Thanks for replying too.

I live in Germany, will buy there everything.

No way for sli/cf, and I don't expect more than 8 core in the next 5 years.

Edited by fasyrt
Spelling

EVGA W2 500W, 600W

230V only (and Asia only maybe?), by Andyson

https://asia.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-W2-0500-K3

Review https://quasarzone.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=qc_qsz&wr_id=276153

More pics https://quasarzone.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=qc_qsz&wr_id=276154

spacer.png

Pretty fan grille!

spacer.png

It's probably a bad idea to post speculation on this forum, but anyway...

I found more hints to EVGA GD 500/600/700 using the "double forward Raider II / Hydro GE" platform on chinese store page: http://www.genb2b.com/prohtml/28c/288a4567.html?0004000500020002

spacer.png

Familiar primary side layout (not specific exactly to "double forward Raider II / Hydro GE", but used in all of the similar designs)

spacer.png

One of the secondary side VRM coils parallel to the sides and heatsinks, which is the case in the "double forward Raider II / Hydro GE" platform.

The silver thing next to it is most likely the polymer capacitor that exists in that platform's VRM too.

The input stage is different in EVGA and FSP, but this part is usually pretty variable.

Input stage on FSP in sequence: bridge rectifiers, X cap, CM choke, X cap, CM choke, heatsink

on EVGA: X cap, CM choke, Y caps, bridge rectifiers, X cap, CM choke, heatsink

Of course FSP could have just as well used that same primary heatsink and VRM board in a different platform, or a new design, so please don't go blabbing "new EVGA GD is totally the double forward Raider / Hydro GE platform!!" just yet.

Hey guys, so I know the old Seasonic X is an A-tier platform, but would you have any concern or apprehension about buying "new" old stock of a 560w Seasonic X?

Is it a group regulated unit?

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-x-series-x-560-560w/p/N82E16817151098

I ask simply because I found a good deal on these.

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I ask simply because I found a good deal on these.

You do realize the best advice comes when you tell us the whole story.  Maybe if you list what price you consider "a good deal on these" someone who knows the market well can tell you if it's a rip-off for something that old and if something more modern is in fact, a better buy.  That way we're comparing apples to apples and not just assuming the unit is $20 and only judging it based on how well the design has aged some 7-10 years later.

Hello! Can someone tell me what's wrong with CHIEFTEC NAVITAS series? I have a couple of such PSU. Absolutely no problems with them. I don't understand why there is no any CHIEFTEC PSU here...

3 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

You do realize the best advice comes when you tell us the whole story.  Maybe if you list what price you consider "a good deal on these" someone who knows the market well can tell you if it's a rip-off for something that old and if something more modern is in fact, a better buy.  That way we're comparing apples to apples and not just assuming the unit is $20 and only judging it based on how well the design has aged some 7-10 years later.

Sure, I can't share the link (rules against ebay iirc so I kinda stayed vague for that reason), but it's $45 after shipping I believe.  It's "new" in the sense that it was never opened/used, but I know it's an old platform.

6 minutes ago, kamaroff said:

Hello! Can someone tell me what's wrong with CHIEFTEC NAVITAS series? I have a couple of such PSU. Absolutely no problems with them. I don't understand why there is no any CHIEFTEC PSU here...

because chieftec has never had anything worthy of a decent psu in my eyes

except if you have data that proves otherwise... and don't say personal experience, that's not a thing in this world

19 minutes ago, kamaroff said:

There are some PSU brands exclusive to certain regions that may not show up in the list.  Or there just aren't any reviews of that platform.

But iirc Chieftec generally isn't good.  You may just get by with it depending on use case/luck.

19 minutes ago, kamaroff said:

Hello!

All models in the NAVITAS series were very good when they were released, and all of them used the best technology their respective manufacturers had to offer at their time. All of them were high end.

As for why they're not listed here, or why you may hear there's something wrong with them... that I don't know.

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

that I don't know

do you have any info on them then? i haven't really checked on chieftec, and I'm more than willing to add them with some info

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Hello!

All models in the NAVITAS series were very good when they were released, and all of them used the best technology their respective manufacturers had to offer at their time. All of them were high end.

As for why they're not listed here, or why you may hear there's something wrong with them... that I don't know.

Well there you go, I succumb to the "judge by brand" syndrome. 

24 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because chieftec has never had anything worthy of a decent psu in my eyes

except if you have data that proves otherwise... and don't say personal experience, that's not a thing in this world

- The high-voltage circuit capacitor (680 μF x 400 V)  manufactured by the Japanese company Panasonic and belongs to the high-temperature series (up to 105 ° C).

- semi-bridge resonant converter (pair of field effect transistors G30N60E with separate radiator) 

- The ICE2HS01G chip is responsible for the correct operation of the main converter, and ICE3PCS01 is responsible for the APFC.

- The voltage of the main line + 12V is generated by a synchronous rectifier, made on six field effect transistors IRFH7004PBF.

- The power part consists of four SM3117N transistors (three for each channel), which are controlled by the APW7159 PWM controller.

- Noise filtering is performed using solid state capacitors - Enesol and Fujitsu.

- A lot of capacitors made by United Chemi-Con

- OVP / UVP / OPP / SCP / OCP / OTP

- Yate Loon D14BH-12 140mm low noize high efficency fan (rolling bearing)

- circuit design is quite good overall 

So i think Chieftec NAVITAS  PSU can be at list in "B" category

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

do you have any info on them then? i haven't really checked on chieftec, and I'm more than willing to add them with some info

Of course.

Navitas GPM-450S, GPM-550S and GPM-650S use the High Power Astro Lite (HPM) platform, like in first generation Rosewill Photon 550-750, or SilentiumPC Supremo M1.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9cbc1140d3d1318f4a56a3cea1252ba3.png

Navitas GPM-650C, GPM-750C, GPM-850C use CWT PUQ-G, used in things like old Corsair HX750.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d28cef60a606bfdecd0361b3a64abbd9.png

Navitas GPM-1000C uses CWT CSH V-G, which is also the "father" of the later platforms used in Corsair's RM1000 and upcoming (then) RMx/i and HXi series.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8151a3d31f0f12cebe16dc42297d8300.png

Navitas GPM-1250C, PPS-1350FC and PPS-1450FC were beasts which used CWT PUO, the highest CWT had to offer at the time, with full bridge topology with an LLC resonant converter and interleaved PFC.

Spoiler

image.png.e40313819f1103e2d87122f08eb5109c.png

Edit:

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important thing - those were the times where CWT still used the famous Green Tape technology, which enhanced performance for low cost by leveraging the tape's pigment particles' different resonating frequency to counter-balance the ripple induced in the LLC transformer by the Pulse-Frequency Modulation converter. Even in the non-LLC PUQ-G.

3 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Edit:

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important thing - those were the times where CWT still used the famous Green Tape technology, which enhanced performance for low cost by leveraging the tape's pigment particles' different resonating frequency to counter-balance the ripple induced in the LLC transformer by the Pulse-Frequency Modulation converter. Even in the non-LLC PUQ-G.

True story, not many people know this. 

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

do you have any info on them then?

Not sure how valid the review site is, but google threw this at me when I was just searching on "chiftec navitas": https://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/publisher/item.php?itemid=3982

Note:  Google Chrome did complain that the site isn't secure, they just have a 20 days expired security certificate, I forced in anyway since it's not like I'm giving them any info, no big deal.