[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
4 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

They probably forgot 1 decinam point...

No, he's right, they really measured 471mV ripple according to them. You can see it on the screenshot of their scope.

They also call it "only" 471mV, and also say "these voltage fluxuations are far from dangerous and will not interfere with internal components". Hilarious!

Yet another funny thing is they didn't even read the results correctly. They said it has 471mV ripple, but according to their screenshot, that's only the amplitude. The peak to peak change (how the ripple is supposed to be measured) is 627mV on that screenshot.

Now figuring out how they got so high results, and if they even setup their equipment properly, is another mystery.

@LienusLateTips

I apologize if it has been discussed already or irrelevant to the thread but... In which tier would you place PSUs found in branded workstations from Dell, HP and Lenovo etc?

To be specific, I'm thinking about picking-up a cheap Dell Precision T3500 workstation (X58) that comes with a 525W PSU as standard with triple 12v rails each rated at 18 ampere and was wondering if it'll be able to handle a 140W GPU (RX470) and a 130W hexa-core CPU (Xeon X5680) with 2 hard disk drives? The PSU in the T3500 is ATX compliant so I can easily swap it, but the budget is a bit tight at the moment so... You know!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Man said:

Precision T3500

those generally use server level PSUs from delta, flextronics, liteon or something along those lines

they're on a whole other level

23 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

@fasyrt Üdv a fedélzeten. PHn mintha láttam volna a neved.. 

I would recommend the Whisper M 550watt version. Though there are better units, but those generally cost more. 

To my knowledge, Whisper series are the cheapest full modular tier A+ PSUs. Though no shop or retailer provides the full seven years manufacturer warranty. 

When you're open for other options, corsair RMX or even TXM series PSUs are with full length manufacturers warranty time and free shipping from alza.hu .

I still believe, the whisper is a great choice. Generally, BF PSUs have best prices on Oazis

550 watts should be enough. Though custom 5700xt cards and 3700x with PBO can be hungry hardwares. 

Btw, please forget the 3800x. Total waste of money. Same / marginally better performance comparable to 3700x . But higher power consumption and way overpriced. Get 3700x and a good cooler, ie Alpenfohn Brocken3 or Scythe Mugen5.

World is obviously too small. Indeed, I am on prohardver.hu too. ;)

Well, this means I have to stick to 550W.

Corsair TXM is out as semi-modular.

I am going to buy my PSU in Germany, possibly at mindfactory.de.

I am between these units:

BitFenix Whisper M 550W (88€)
be quiet! Straight Power 11 550W (90€) (most silent)
Corsair RM550x (91€) (extra warranty)

And thanks for reply! ?

3 minutes ago, fasyrt said:

there's not really a major technical difference between them

heck, the whisper and rmx are even from the same oem

I'd just get whatever you prefer here

10 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

No, he's right, they really measured 471mV ripple according to them. You can see it on the screenshot of their scope.

They also call it "only" 471mV, and also say "these voltage fluxuations are far from dangerous and will not interfere with internal components". Hilarious!

Yet another funny thing is they didn't even read the results correctly. They said it has 471mV ripple, but according to their screenshot, that's only the amplitude. The peak to peak change (how the ripple is supposed to be measured) is 627mV on that screenshot.

Now figuring out how they got so high results, and if they even setup their equipment properly, is another mystery.

overclockers.com is more reputable than that other site though, right?

9 minutes ago, rockybulwinkle said:

I mean, based on what you've said I'd say they don't really know what they're (Edit: 'they' referring to gnd-tech) doing. I may do a few measurements of my own at work before I plug it into my computer.

Edited by rockybulwinkle
clarifying unclear pronoun reference

55 minutes ago, rockybulwinkle said:

It probably is, but again that guy reports the wrong ripple value. He says the ripple is "also very good at 13.4 mV RMS on 12 V", when you're supposed to look at ripple peak to peak value, not ripple root mean square. He claims to be an electrical engineer and to have 17 years of experience, yet he got such basic thing wrong.

To me, the ripple seems to be about 45mV on 12V on the oscilloscope screenshot. Unfortunately we don't know at what load, but I assume it's at full load. He should have measured ripple under other loads too.

He doesn't list his test equipment or procedure at all, which is absolutely essential when you do research, and I consider professional reviews a form or research. We should know what he uses as a load and what equipment to measure voltages and power.

Even then, the review only tests voltage regulation and ripple, and that's an absolute minimum, and not at all enough to evaluate a power supply's performance and quality.

The author also calls Elite an "off-brand", which is simply wrong. He's also so quick to judge them as "so cheap" and so off-brand, yet didn't bother to check their capacitance ratings, voltage, temperature or series.

48 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

It probably is, but again that guy reports the wrong ripple value. He says the ripple is "also very good at 13.4 mV RMS on 12 V", when you're supposed to look at ripple peak to peak value, not ripple root mean square. He claims to be an electrical engineer and to have 17 years of experience, yet he got such basic thing wrong.

To me, the ripple seems to be about 45mV on 12V on the oscilloscope screenshot. Unfortunately we don't know at what load, but I assume it's at full load. He should have measured ripple under other loads too.

He doesn't list his test equipment or procedure at all, which is absolutely essential when you do research, and I consider professional reviews a form or research. We should know what he uses as a load and what equipment to measure voltages and power.

Even then, the review only tests voltage regulation and ripple, and that's an absolute minimum, and not at all enough to evaluate a power supply's performance and quality.

The author also calls Elite an "off-brand", which is simply wrong. He's also so quick to judge them as "so cheap" and so off-brand, yet didn't bother to check their capacitance ratings, voltage, temperature or series.

I'm still left wondering, then, on what basis that PSU is so high on the tier list. Is there a compilation of reviews and performance data somewhere here?

The reason I'm so interested in that particular PSU is because I ordered it on the suggestion of someone else here. I may return it for a different one that I can find more concrete data on.

Do we have any information on the GD (2019, August). I've seen it pop up recently at a really low price.

5 hours ago, Matsozetex said:

Do we have any information on the GD (2019, August). I've seen it pop up recently at a really low price.

i wish for it... but i literally don't know anything about it as of right now

the old gd was a non-modular GQ

19 hours ago, fasyrt said:

I'd get Straight Power 11 550W if you have quiet fans in your case, if you got crappy fans it won't make a difference, go for RM550x for longer warranty
i got Pure Power 11 with same exact(silent wings 3) fan, and it's inaudible even at max rpm as max rpm is set rly low, it's as quiet as my Noctua 120mm fans on 950-1000rpm

pp11 probably doesn't have sw3...

also rmx is very silent too

5 hours ago, grmaster said:

pp11 probably doesn't have sw3...

also rmx is very silent too

yes, RMx is pretty silent too, but if you got case filled with Noctua/bequiet! fans you can clearly hear it under load over rest of the system

PP11 do got updated SW3, PP10 had SW2, they just got cheaper mounting mechanism or something to get cost down, and it uses 120mm version,
those cheaper bequiet! fans got different fanblade design so it's not one of those

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, fasyrt said:

Gentlemen,

new at this forum, but following the news for a while. I am unable to find a proper answer so registered here and hope you are willing to kindly share your opinions/recommendations. For sure, I am about to puzzle together a new PC?, which mainly will be just for surfing but occasionally go for gaming (I estimate about 10-20:1 ratio - 90...95% / 10...5%). I want to optimize comsumption as far as possible and for sure the standard aspects are also to be considered.

I am gettig torn apart between 450 and 550 Watt units. All reviews show around mid-300W total consumption, so I cannot see any reason to get a 550W unit but it is everywhere recommended to go for that.

Pros for 450W:

• efficiency at idling
  • price

Pros for 550W:

• fan-off PSUs are available (and the fan has every time lower life expectance than the electronics)
  • Platinum efficiency available (although this advantage is 'consumed' through lower utilization)
  • idiot-proof setup
  • bigger market

Anyhow, the PSU would be selected from Tier A+. This means for 450W only two (three) options available:

BitFenix Whisper M / Formula (prefer full modular unit) (GER: 80€)

be quiet! Straight Power 11 (GER: 85€)

Spoiler

550W units from these series start from (GER) 90€, so...

Anyway, up to 130€ it is a free selection - but please argue for your one. ?

Desired configuration:

Ryzen 3700x (minor chance to 3800x) - minor allcore OC to 4 GHz

2x16 GB ram Ballistix 3200 - oc to max up to 1.5V

Radeon 5700XT - no OC - possibly Powercolor red devil

1 nvme ssd

no hdd-odd-expansion cards

3 case fans

This config will stay together for 5+ years.

Thanks for reading me!

What country do you live in? Cuz if you're going for a quiet build (based on your models you're already looking at), I would also recommend looking at a Corsair RMi/RMx, Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum/Titanium, Be Quiet Straight Power 11, or Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum:

650/660W PSU Picks:

600W PSU Picks:

550/560W PSU Picks:

500W PSU Picks:

Corsair RMi, RMx,& TMx Reviews:

Bitfenix Whisper Reviews:

Be Quiet! Straight & Pure Power Reviews:

Fractal Design Ion+ Review:

As for wattage I would go for a 550W (or even 600/650W if you find a good deal at the same price as a 500/550W model). You'll get not only better rated efficiency but more wattage headroom if you decide a few years from now to upgrade to a more power-hungry CPU or higher-end/second graphics card. ;)

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, rockybulwinkle said:

Can someone point me to a review of the "Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply"? I'm having trouble finding an in-depth review of it. The closest I could find was for the 750W version and said it had ripple of >400mV at full load but that doesn't seem right (Edit: Maybe they forgot to turn on bandwidth limiting on their scope?). https://gnd-tech.com/2018/11/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750-power-supply-review/

I also found this one which shows a much more reasonable ripple, but again not for the 550 watt. The test setup in the previous one may be flawed in some way. https://www.overclockers.com/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750-power-supply-review/

Basically I'm trying to understand why it is where it is on the tier list and have found little technical information on that specific model. Is it built on the same platform as the 750 watt version? What OEM is it?

Thanks

It should be the same general design and similar parts; higher wattage probably means the components can take that same 110V+ @ <1A input and convert it to a higher watt DC output. 

Another MWE Gold 750W review:

https://pcper.com/2019/01/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750w-full-modular-power-supply-review/5/#ftoc-heading-6

22 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

i wish for it... but i literally don't know anything about it as of right now

the old gd was a non-modular GQ

So its an FSP unit, and judging by its current price point and existing 80+ Gold FSP platforms it doesn't look great.

8 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

So its an FSP unit,

What makes you conclude it's an FSP unit?

7 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

So its an FSP unit, and judging by its current price point and existing 80+ Gold FSP platforms it doesn't look great.

well... i even know what platform it is even

it's based off the custom platform they made for the bq pure power 11

3 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

What makes you conclude it's an FSP unit?

well... the old one is

the new one, i haven't seen any more than i did last time

12 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

He's talking about the new one.

well... it may be

but we don't know yet afaik