[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
5 minutes ago, Wahaab said:

future proof psu.

because you're going for a 9900k and 2080 ti sli next year? otherwise 0 need for an 850w

the dpp11 is a custom be quiet design, it's well built and comparable to something like corsair's hxi

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because you're going for a 9900k and 2080 ti sli next year? otherwise 0 need for an 850w

the dpp11 is a custom be quiet design, it's well built and comparable to something like corsair's hxi

Probably not that high and defintely not an intel cpu for sure! (needs motherboard change with every iteration)

But I am looking for a modular psu (so I don't need to wrap around extra wires in the case) and a gold and above efficiency rating (maybe even 80 + is enough?) my options start from :-

750W CoolerMaster 750W G750M (80 + Bronze) Modular
850W Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 80+ Gold Modular

850W Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 Modular 80+ Platinum

And also, I want to buy a PSU for the next 10 years :P

13 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

There is an EVGA GP??

G+ uses the model numbers GP-<wattage>. Probably that.

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-0750-X1
P/N: 120-GP-0750-X1

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@Wahaab dark power and straight power are both excellent units. But why would You buy such a huge wattage?  Any option for smaller units?  Same BQ PSUs in 650w? 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Building PC for a friend soon with TR 1900x and 2080Ti, but he wants to add another 2080Ti in a few months, how much wattage you recommend?
He won't OC anything, but he will be using graphic cards for rendering, not gaming, that's why he goes with TR4 platform for PCIe lanes.

I'm split between 850 and 1000W,
850W you can get pretty much anything for a fair price, and 1000W only old V1000 from Cooler Master is a lot under 250 euros and everything else is around that price here, I mean he can spend 250 euros on PSU if needed, but why not save 100 euros if 850W is enough

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

hm... what else is available at the price? RM isn't the best imo, it's good, but almost falls behind a txm

Now that you opened the can of worms, you have to tell the good people how it "falls behind".

Because, if he can get a "good deal" and it's actually less than a TX-M, then why talk him out of it?

26 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Because, if he can get a "good deal" and it's actually less than a TX-M, then why talk him out of it?

because i was thinking there would be something better for the price

but i see norwegian market is a bit weird, and i'd take the rm over those evga units, so my opinion there is less of a factor

can closed

21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Now that you opened the can of worms, you have to tell the good people how it "falls behind".

For context, the RM650 is 849 NOK including shipping. TX550M is 898, TX650M is 997, CX450M is 679, PP11 CM 400W is 801, MWE Gold 650W is 748 (current sale). Conversion is pretty much 10:1 to Euro. 

Imo, the RM and MWE are the most sensible options, but the RM only has 6 SATA connectors (ofc you can also buy an additional cable to use instead of molex).

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

hm... have a couple more

What a great way to waste everyone's time. They have already told you where they are from, so why even bother with US prices? Just stop being so lazy, and look at Norwegian pricing and availability. 

6 hours ago, tennbrikket said:

Which power supply would fit my choice?

From above. MWE Gold 650W. Though you should note that you can get the RM650 and a SATA cable in order to have 8 in total. 

It would have been a good idea to tell everyone where you're buying from when asking what you should buy. The pricing and availability varies depending on the country. 

:)

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

look at Norwegian pricing and availability

if i had those that is...

1 hour ago, Vejnemojnen said:

@Wahaab dark power and straight power are both excellent units. But why would You buy such a huge wattage?  Any option for smaller units?  Same BQ PSUs in 650w? 

I have options for 650 Watts, it will be in straight power 11 series (GOLD), in the dark power the option starts from 850W (building a computer on IbuyPower).  I used the calculator provided in be quite and saw that if I use something like rtx 2080 ti in future and ryzen 7 series, then it actually recommends 850 Watts psu (assuming 73 percent load).. with offcourse the intended build of ryzen 5 3600 and rtx 2070 a 650 W.. 

Normally, is there a recommended load percentage for the PSU ? concerning it's life/temperature etc.

1 hour ago, Wahaab said:

I used the calculator provided

oof, PSU calc. Steer clear or expect overestimation. Power supply vendors have a vested interest in selling more expensive (aka higher wattage) units you know

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Why is Seasonic Focus placed in High-End tier (and S12II/M12II in Prebuilt Replacement tier) instead of garbage tier when there are warnings for not buying about them at the end of the list?

6 minutes ago, kuthulhu said:

Why is Seasonic Focus placed in High-End tier (and S12II/M12II in Prebuilt Replacement tier) instead of garbage tier when there are warnings for not buying about them at the end of the list?

Welcome to the forums!

That warning doesn't mean that they're garbage PSUs. In fact if you stay within a certain power consumption on your computer, they're great.

The problem they have is that the over-power protection is set up wrong. So if you have a system that's powerful and might have peak draws above the rated wattage of a FOCUS power supply, it will either shut off (2017 models) or cause dangerous amounts of ripple (essentially microsecond level variations in voltage that can kill hardware if it's exposed for long).

So what we can say is that the FOCUS line is good*, with the * meaning that you have to know what you're doing so you don't expose yourself to this scenario.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

8 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

oof, PSU calc. Steer clear or expect overestimation. Power supply vendors have a vested interest in selling more expensive (aka higher wattage) units you know

actually the BQ one is reasonable fine! It does overshoot a bit, but nowhere near other calculators. You can check it in my sig, and play around with different cards, cpu-s.

17 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

actually the BQ one is reasonable fine! It does overshoot a bit, but nowhere near other calculators. You can check it in my sig, and play around with different cards, cpu-s.

It says the rig in my signature draws almost 500 watts, which is an overestimation of 25%, pretty drastic.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Eumel2 said:

@LienusLateTips

Everyone advises against the SeaSonic Focus line (rightly so), how is it still in Tier A?

we're moving it down in a later revision

could even be in the crap tier, as the new focus lines are out

Gentlemen,

new at this forum, but following the news for a while. I am unable to find a proper answer so registered here and hope you are willing to kindly share your opinions/recommendations. For sure, I am about to puzzle together a new PC?, which mainly will be just for surfing but occasionally go for gaming (I estimate about 10-20:1 ratio - 90...95% / 10...5%). I want to optimize comsumption as far as possible and for sure the standard aspects are also to be considered.

I am gettig torn apart between 450 and 550 Watt units. All reviews show around mid-300W total consumption, so I cannot see any reason to get a 550W unit but it is everywhere recommended to go for that.

Pros for 450W:

• efficiency at idling
  • price

Pros for 550W:

• fan-off PSUs are available (and the fan has every time lower life expectance than the electronics)
  • Platinum efficiency available (although this advantage is 'consumed' through lower utilization)
  • idiot-proof setup
  • bigger market

Anyhow, the PSU would be selected from Tier A+. This means for 450W only two (three) options available:

BitFenix Whisper M / Formula (prefer full modular unit) (GER: 80€)

be quiet! Straight Power 11 (GER: 85€)

550W units from these series start from (GER) 90€, so...

Anyway, up to 130€ it is a free selection - but please argue for your one. ?

Desired configuration:

Ryzen 3700x (minor chance to 3800x) - minor allcore OC to 4 GHz

2x16 GB ram Ballistix 3200 - oc to max up to 1.5V

Radeon 5700XT - no OC - possibly Powercolor red devil

1 nvme ssd

no hdd-odd-expansion cards

3 case fans

This config will stay together for 5+ years.

Thanks for reading me!

@fasyrt Üdv a fedélzeten. PHn mintha láttam volna a neved.. 

I would recommend the Whisper M 550watt version. Though there are better units, but those generally cost more. 

To my knowledge, Whisper series are the cheapest full modular tier A+ PSUs. Though no shop or retailer provides the full seven years manufacturer warranty. 

When you're open for other options, corsair RMX or even TXM series PSUs are with full length manufacturers warranty time and free shipping from alza.hu .

I still believe, the whisper is a great choice. Generally, BF PSUs have best prices on Oazis

550 watts should be enough. Though custom 5700xt cards and 3700x with PBO can be hungry hardwares. 

Btw, please forget the 3800x. Total waste of money. Same / marginally better performance comparable to 3700x . But higher power consumption and way overpriced. Get 3700x and a good cooler, ie Alpenfohn Brocken3 or Scythe Mugen5.

Can someone point me to a review of the "Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply"? I'm having trouble finding an in-depth review of it. The closest I could find was for the 750W version and said it had ripple of >400mV at full load but that doesn't seem right (Edit: Maybe they forgot to turn on bandwidth limiting on their scope?). https://gnd-tech.com/2018/11/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750-power-supply-review/

I also found this one which shows a much more reasonable ripple, but again not for the 550 watt. The test setup in the previous one may be flawed in some way. https://www.overclockers.com/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750-power-supply-review/

Basically I'm trying to understand why it is where it is on the tier list and have found little technical information on that specific model. Is it built on the same platform as the 750 watt version? What OEM is it?

Thanks

Edited by rockybulwinkle

11 minutes ago, rockybulwinkle said:

The closest I could find was for the 750W version and said it had ripple of >400mV at full load but that doesn't seem right (Edit: Maybe they forgot to turn on bandwidth limiting on their scope?). https://gnd-tech.com/2018/11/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750-power-supply-review/

They probably forgot 1 decinam point...

15 minutes ago, rockybulwinkle said:

Basically I'm trying to understand why it is where it is on the tier list and have found little technical information on that specific model. Is it built on the same platform as the 750 watt version? What OEM is it?

According to The_Mask the MWE Gold is a little worse build quality than the CX. However none of us knew that before making the current tier list (maybe Stefan, idk :D). It will most likely be in tier B+, same as CX in the upcoming revision.

Also, yes the platforms should be the same, and the OEM is XHY. I don't know anything about XHY so don't ask me :)