[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
10 minutes ago, grmaster said:

just to add coolermaster masterwatt is the cheapest 0rpm mode in my country at least. Dont know thought how well it works (probably not very well).

it's rather loud after it sets out of that mode

3 hours ago, Quickshot Gaming said:

Looks good but it's expensive, over $100 for the 500w version.

Hmmm, that is high, friend bought 600W one for $80 when you convert it from Euros(from Hungary with 27% VAT) to replace his 2nd MWE Gold 550W Fully Modular that had coilwhine, first one he got replacement when he RMA'd it, now he doesn't want to get another one with coil-whine so he bough Pure Power 11 instead, he'd be fine with less W, he only got R7 1700 OC and RX580 but it was 2-3 euros difference compared to 500W, so no big deal

Going to build TR 1900x(for PCIe lanes) and 2080Ti system soon for a friend, he will put another 2080Ti in it later, how much W do he need, 850 or 1000 for everything stock?

So, I've been away from the PSU world for just over a year.

What's new?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

47 minutes ago, Energycore said:

What's new?

Focus is bad now.

EVGA has released about a million new units (G5 coming soon!)

That's about everything major.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

What's new?

we got this list now, g3 is bad, focus is bad, the s12iii is still not worth your money, bitfenix can make decent PSUs, ax1600i is still the best around, seasonic is still on single rail, i started working in this subforum and spotty became mod in it

so... the usual

11 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

focus

Did you have a response for my questions about why the reviews of the most recent Focus units don't show ripple issues?  I just want to understand why the belief is held so strong that even the newer Focus units that don't have issues with GPUs are considered horrible (when the only link in your thread about the focus is not in English and deals with an edge-case and not just standard GPU use).  Also @LienusLateTips

I simply don't get it; based on major review sites the units look just fine (not failing major tests like the EVGA G3 issues that I do see the reasoning for).  I feel like it's wrong to malign a PSU that other reviewers seem to show is fine.

May 2019 Review - https://www.anandtech.com/show/14338/the-seasonic-focus-plus-gold-750fx-750w-psu-review
July 2018 Review (no ripple flaws noted) - https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/07/24/seasonic_focus_plus_gold_650w_power_supply_review/8

1 minute ago, LogicWeasel said:

Did you have a response for my questions about why the reviews of the most recent Focus units don't show ripple issues?

well... i don't know

but seasonic has had enough reason to make a new one, and they did

we just can't buy it yet

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well... i don't know

but seasonic has had enough reason to make a new one, and they did

we just can't buy it yet

Ok, well then I suggest it's not quite fair to malign a whole product stack based on sins of the past.  I'm all for warning fellow forum members away from older, bad PSUs, but if the newer Focus Plus Golds are good perhaps it's not fair to keep saying: "every focus is bad, get a (random example:) cooler master MWE bronze instead even if same price"

edit:

"we just can't buy it yet"  - The reviews are out for the product?  They said it's not trash, quite the opposite really.  What are "we" waiting on?

Edited by LogicWeasel

Ok, well then I suggest it's not quite fair to malign a whole product stack based on sins of the past.  I'm all for warning fellow forum members away from older, bad PSUs, but if the newer Focus Plus Golds are good perhaps it's not fair to keep saying: "every focus is bad, get a (random example:) cooler master MWE bronze instead even if same price" 

i would never say that, but i would recommend a whisper for example over it all day

and like... mwe isn't even dc-dc

but yeah, we'll see how the new focus goes, the sfx-l doesn't seem to have had any problems so far

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i would never say that, but i would recommend a whisper for example over it all day

That's fine, and for the fan alone I can see why.  But if the whisper is more expensive or not available, or if the consumer wants it modular and affordable, there are a few reasons that lean the other way.  I just point this thing out because you said quote: "focus is bad" and not something like "previous focus model were bad"

I just point this thing out because you said quote: "focus is bad" and not something like "previous focus model were bad"

because the "previous" models haven't been officially replaced yet, so they still count as current models

then again, i want to see reviews before i change my claims

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

then again, i want to see reviews before i change my claims

I suspect that with no change in branding it's very easy to not know which version a unit is.  This review unit that Oklahoma Wolf reviewed (link below) is suspected to be the version 1 that had issues shutting off with certain GPUs yes?  Which is what wasn't seen by the otherwise spotless review from Aug 2017?

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2017/08/21/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-power-supply/6/

2 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

I suspect that with no change in branding it's very easy to not know which version a unit is.  This review unit that Oklahoma Wolf reviewed (link below) is suspected to be the version 1 that had issues shutting off with certain GPUs yes?  Which is what wasn't seen by the otherwise spotless review from Aug 2017?

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2017/08/21/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-power-supply/6/

jonnyguru/wolf,s tests are quite outdated in modern times.. back in the days when ripple/voltage regulation was absymal on low end units , nowadays even the low end EVgas or seasonic etc will show decent voltage reg (provdied all the rails have a load , which wolf is doing here) and ripple. usually where the manufacturer cheaps out is on noise (since most psu reviewers dont test noise) , protections , transients reponse , and just build quality in general. 

That being said Wolf only put the psu under 550w max on 12v which it was rated for , while the pceva article stated that at 120% load above the psu rate d wattage (900W put on the 750w rated unit) the Psu had 268Mv of ripple.

4 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

the pceva article stated that at 120% load above the psu rate d wattage (900W put on the 750w rated unit) the Psu had 268Mv of ripple.

Noted.  My question then is: how likely is that to matter to the consumer who buys the PSU and runs a 650W Focus Plus gold with their RTX 2080 graphics card?  How often does the avg gaming computer try to draw 120% of the load of a decent (550-750W) PSU?

Just now, LogicWeasel said:

Noted.  My question then is: how likely is that to matter to the consumer who buys the PSU and runs a 650W Focus Plus gold with their RTX 2080 graphics card?  How often does the avg gaming computer try to draw 120% of the load of a decent PSU?

the focus,s ripple problem mainly applies to GPUs with high transient peaks , aka x80ti/vega cards... rtx 2080 should run completely fine on a 2080 

How often does the avg gaming computer try to draw 120% of the load of a decent PSU?

for the notice, 2080 isn't as high peak power, so I'll take a vega 64 in my example here

the old psu would shut down at loads that cause high ripple now, so wouldn't that be a problem? and like, average joe doesn't notices it, so it's better that we warn him. i don't see anything wrong with that

Sorry if this is slightly offtopic but does anyone know why PSU stock seems short/prices seem higher than normal?  At least that seems to be the case in the US.  Maybe those trade tariffs are kicking in?

6 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

At least that seems to be the case in the US.  Maybe those trade tariffs are kicking in?

I've heard a while back that they were about to

I'll just mention @jonnyGURU to check here

44 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I've heard a while back that they were about to

I'll just mention @jonnyGURU to check here

They kicked in for computer parts a while ago.

The Focus will not be elevated until I have seen a review with full protections testing of the new units. Final decision.

With the Focus the main issue is that there are always similar or better units for the same price

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

22 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

The Focus will not be elevated until I have seen a review with full protections testing of the new units. Final decision.

I am unsure if the focus was downgraded when the issues started getting reported.  I see that as of now, the Focus Plus Gold series is sitting in Tier A.  Did it move?