Jump to content

wireless internet sucks? bad wifi?

Vance44

ok so i've called my cable internet company and they are saying i have to contact netgear because i own my out router through them and not the internet company well my router is past 90 days so netgear wont help me without me paying them bs!

 

anyways trouble shooting with the internet company and texting directly through the Ethernet cable the modem speeds are fine  but the router is not allowing the higher speeds  ....

so here is the thing .. i forgot to pay may bill do they throttled my service ... well when i paid it they turned it back on  and before  testing the wireless speeds they were average abouyt 175 when i'm paying for 200

now all the sudden i'm only getting about 50... they are telling me its in my router and i have to contact the manufacture... ok fine whatever .. but netgear wont work with me till i pay them to do it ... i dont need that!! 

i'm logged into my router but dont know what to do or to change to get my wireless speeds back up? 

 

i've tried just changed the channel and that's all i've done .. i dont want to mess with much else unless someone can walk me through it?! 

 

so what do i do? 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

ok so i've called my cable internet company and they are saying i have to contact netgear because i own my out router through them and not the internet company well my router is past 90 days so netgear wont help me without me paying them bs!

 

anyways trouble shooting with the internet company and texting directly through the Ethernet cable the modem speeds are fine  but the router is not allowing the higher speeds  ....

so here is the thing .. i forgot to pay may bill do they throttled my service ... well when i paid it they turned it back on  and before  testing the wireless speeds they were average abouyt 175 when i'm paying for 200

now all the sudden i'm only getting about 50... they are telling me its in my router and i have to contact the manufacture... ok fine whatever .. but netgear wont work with me till i pay them to do it ... i dont need that!! 

i'm logged into my router but dont know what to do or to change to get my wireless speeds back up? 

 

i've tried just changed the channel and that's all i've done .. i dont want to mess with much else unless someone can walk me through it?! 

 

so what do i do? 

  

Depending on the model of Netgear, power cycle it & turn off QoS in the router's settings, then test again. Keep in mind WiFi is unreliable due to the way it works.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | [REDACTED] - 50GB US + CAN Data $34/month
Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 7i (16") 82UF0015US (i7-12700H, 16GB/2TB RAM/SSD, A370M GPU) Tablet: Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's actually not a whole lot you can change here in terms of settings. Sometimes power cycling it can help though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Depending on the model of Netgear, power cycle it & turn off QoS in the router's settings, then test again. Keep in mind WiFi is unreliable due to the way it works.

like i said it worked fine untill the messed with it .. but i will try that to see what happens 

its a netgear  night hawk x4s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

There's actually not a whole lot you can change here in terms of settings. Sometimes power cycling it can help though.

yea i've tried that a few times .. its just weird that it works fine then all the cuddle the dick with it and its not getting half of what it was before  lol 

with that being say my router cant be bad .. and it was like a $400 router may not be now but it was at the time i bought it 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok i think i got it right? lol 

i turned off qos and rebooted that didnt seem to help 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

yea i've tried that a few times .. its just weird that it works fine then all the cuddle the dick with it and its not getting half of what it was before  lol 

with that being say my router cant be bad .. and it was like a $400 router may not be now but it was at the time i bought it 

 

Assuming no alterations were made to the router between the time you saw the speed you're paying for and now then the only possibilities are:

 

1. The router is failing in some manor (if a restart didn't help, and the cable connections are good).

2. The router is not at fault.

 

Something may have changed on the ISP end such as out on the street or by the nearest node.

It's also possible if you run a speedtest at different times of day and see drastic shifts or a pattern that your neighbors are to blame (having the same ISP using available bandwidth).

If the issue is specifically wireless only then interference could be a factor. You could try switching between 2.4GHz channels (1, 6, & 11 being common)  & 5GHz. This would be an issue if there are many other peoples access points around you.

 

If the router really is at fault in some way you could try resetting it. If you own the router you may have to call the ISP in order to regain internet. If this fixes the issue then something did go wrong inside the router. If not we should be able to rule out the router.

 

I would also ask the ISP if they can perform a test to verify that you're getting the bandwidth. Even if it's not their router they should be able to perform such a test. To be honest though I don't know for sure that they can but an educated guess says they should.

 

Then if all else fails you can try replacing the router. I don't think it's necessary but it's a last option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

yea i stick with 5 ghz if i can its faster i can test on 2.4 just to see what i guess i guess .. so i replied settings and this time it went up but i'll try on 2.5 to see what i  get 

 

its just frustrating it was always in the 170-175 range now all the sudden its in the 50-80

yea i dont know if they can or not .. i know that they told me if you texted the speed with direct connection and its fine but slow on wireless its the router 

that wont tell me anything else .. but like i said i find that hard to before first thing this morning it was tested at 172 then they suspended it and when i realized i forgot to pay i paid it right away to get it back and when they turned it back on its been shit sense lol grrr!! 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

i can say its a little better now .. its about 83 instead of 55 lol 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×