Should I buy a 140 - 120mm adapter?

austin2118ace

I bought a Corsair H90 water cooler. I am using the default fan that is shipped with it. And since Corsair is kind enough not to make their Static Pressure in 140mm, and Noctua fans are uglier than Medusa, should I scrounge around for a Pressure optimized 140mm fan or should I buy a 120 - 140 fan adapter?

If I should look for 140 mm fans what are some good pressure optimized ones for radiator mounting? NOT NOCTUAS. :)

Thanks,

Austin 

CPU- i5 4670K CPU Cooler- Corsair H90 MB- MSI Z87 GD-45 RAM- 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws Case- NZXT Phantom 530

PSU- Corsair CX750M Cooler- Corsair H90 Boot Drive- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Storage-WD 1TB Blue Storage- Seagate 2TB

Cougar Turbine fans are not bad imo for radiator fans. I would just get 140mm fans to save the trouble of buying adapters.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I bought a Corsair H90 water cooler. I am using the default fan that is shipped with it. And since Corsair is kind enough not to make their Static Pressure in 140mm, and Noctua fans are uglier than Medusa, should I scrounge around for a Pressure optimized 140mm fan or should I buy a 120 - 140 fan adapter?

If I should look for 140 mm fans what are some good pressure optimized ones for radiator mounting? NOT NOCTUAS. :)

Thanks,

Austin 

Don't get an adapter so you can use mediocre fans. Just look out there and find one you like, and considering the 140mm radiator support is just growing my guess is that you won't find much anyways. I used Bitfenix spectre pro's on my last build and unless you get PWM they are loud as fuck, which is why I relpaced them with silverstone air penetrators which DO NOT work well when aligned horizontally (the motor broke in about 4 months)

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Getting a 140mm fan is preferable.  I personally use Noctua because I would rather have my system perform as well as possible rather than just look nice.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Getting a 140mm fan is preferable.  I personally use Noctua because I would rather have my system perform as well as possible rather than just look nice.

Why wouldnt you use Delta fans then?

Im using 2 of their 190CFM models which I  have undervolted to 7v. They are quiet enough for me, but still move a lot more air than any other fan I have used. They are also cheaper than the Noctua fans.

Okay thanks, in your opinions, what is the best pressure optimized 140mm fan? That are not Noctua fans.

CPU- i5 4670K CPU Cooler- Corsair H90 MB- MSI Z87 GD-45 RAM- 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws Case- NZXT Phantom 530

PSU- Corsair CX750M Cooler- Corsair H90 Boot Drive- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Storage-WD 1TB Blue Storage- Seagate 2TB

Why wouldnt you use Delta fans then?

Im using 2 of their 190CFM models which I  have undervolted to 7v. They are quiet enough for me, but still move a lot more air than any other fan I have used. They are also cheaper than the Noctua fans.

Specifically, which fans are they?  I'm curious.

Specifically, which fans are they?  I'm curious.

Delta FFB1212EHE

They are £15 each, where as the Noctua fans are £15 - £20

Delta FFB1212EHE

They are £15 each, where as the Noctua fans are £15 - £20

Thanks.

The performance vs noise is more important to me than cost as I have to listen to it far longer than I have pay for it.