Intel Comet Lake Packs Up to 10 Cores (Updated)

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Anyone who has followed tech long enough should know that two years is  enough time for motherboard feature support to change causing CPU only upgrades to become questionable in terms of value.

I might have agreed 10 years ago, I would definitely have agreed 15+ years ago, but I'm not so sure that's true anymore.  Features aren't being added or updated at the same pace that they used to be, at least not to the point where it's near mandatory to upgrade both in order to achieve full compatibility.  As the chart I showed before revealed, there was literally one feature change from Z270 to Z370 (which makes sense, given that Z370 was simply a modified Z270).  The change from Z170 to Z270 was even less impressive, with the mere addition of 4 more PCIe 3.0 lanes.  Useful, but not critical.  And given that CPU designs take years to get from drawing board to production, there's sufficient time to plan ahead and make the motherboards more future proof.

I would argue that Intel is using an old business model that they've just never bothered to update because it still works for them.

19 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I might have agreed 10 years ago, I would definitely have agreed 15+ years ago, but I'm not so sure that's true anymore.  Features aren't being added or updated at the same pace that they used to be, at least not to the point where it's near mandatory to upgrade both in order to achieve full compatibility.  As the chart I showed before revealed, there was literally one feature change from Z270 to Z370 (which makes sense, given that Z370 was simply a modified Z270).  The change from Z170 to Z270 was even less impressive, with the mere addition of 4 more PCIe 3.0 lanes.  Useful, but not critical.  And given that CPU designs take years to get from drawing board to production, there's sufficient time to plan ahead and make the motherboards more future proof.

I would argue that Intel is using an old business model that they've just never bothered to update because it still works for them.

Only time will tell how relevant it is going forward.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/17/2019 at 6:20 PM, Blademaster91 said:

I mean AMD really should have, bulldozer was their own fault

No, only partly because they didn't have the money to make both, a new Northbridge and a CPU Design.

So they did the CPU design, but not the I/O Design, kept that from Phenom 2 - wich was somewhat OKish/adequat for the Phenom but was a real Problem and bottleneck for Bulldozer...

If they had the money for "real R&D", they could have done better and made a good Bulldozer!
The design wasn't bad, it just had too many Problems that tanked the Performance.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, only partly because they didn't have the money to make both, a new Northbridge and a CPU Design.

If they had the money for "real R&D", they could have done better and made a good Bulldozer!

"Not enough money" (whether it's for R&D, marketing, or whatever else) is by definition, a company problem with only themselves to blame for it.

They made their business decisions to develop and bring-to-market a set of products based upon the tools, IP, and budget available to them, based upon their perception of (current and future) market competition, and their perception of (current and future) market demand.

The results speak for themselves, and the rest is history. Ditto for the products created by Intel, Nvidia, and every other company on the planet.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:04 AM, Stefan Payne said:

So they did the CPU design, but not the I/O Design, kept that from Phenom 2 - wich was somewhat OKish/adequat for the Phenom but was a real Problem and bottleneck for Bulldozer...

The design wasn't bad, it just had too many Problems that tanked the Performance.

They had all the money they ever needed to develop it, but they spent it all on ATI just before they started the R+D on bulldozer.  Then a year after releasing bulldozer they spent another $334M on SeaMicro.

They had the money and have no one to blame for it's lackluster existence but themselves.

EDIT: and just to add to this, their R+D budget for the 4 years prior to bulldozer was on average $400M a year while their R+D budget in the 4 years prior to Ryzen was about $280M.  So  R+D has effectively nothing to do with it anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

For those interested, I updated the OP with the following information that was released today:

untitled-1.png

A roadmap from Mitac (an embedded systems manufacturer) shows Comet Lake - the successor to Coffee Lake-R - is expected in Q2 2020, that's the second quarter of next year. Comet Lake will still be a generation that is fabbed at 14 nm. Rumors suggest that the top model for the desktop will be a chip with ten cores and twenty threads.

The roadmap also mentions Elkhart Lake on the slide. This is the successor to Gemini Lake (Atom procs) and should appear on the market in the first quarter of 2020. They are ultra low power socs that are based on Ice Lake and will also be manufactured at 10 nm. In addition, these chips would get the Gen11 graphics.

This year more Coffee Lake refresh CPUs will be released this month, in April. The new R0 stepping , which Intel currently launches for Coffee Lake Refresh , could already be the basis for Comet Lake, (since they continue to use the same 14-nm production). Various steppings are used and mix some predecessors with successors under almost the same name, Intel also offers CPUs in the same series even with thermal grease and alternatively with soldered heatspreader.

Source: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-processors-comet-lake-and-elkhart-lake-in-2020-(roadmap).html