CPU doesn't go above base clock in stress tests

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,
17 hours ago, Mr.Genuine said:

I think I can set multiplier to 39 T

That is what needs to be done.  T stands for turbo.  This setting should allow your CPU to use its turbo ratios.  After you do that and put a check mark in the Set Multiplier box, run a TS Bench - 1 Thread test and post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while the CPU is loaded.  You will also need to click on the Turn On button to get ThrottleStop to feed the 39T multiplier to your CPU.

I have an i7 3770 CPU on top of MSI H-61 m P20(G3) Motherboard.

I ran cinebench R15 for single core and multi core performance scores..But in that stress test and even in Prime95 and CPU-z my CPU doesn't go above 3.4 GHz which is its base clock while its max frequency is 3.9 GHz.

What is the possible reason? Is the motherboard incompatible? Do I need a BIOS update? Or do I need to change my cooler(I don't think temperatures are a reason cos it barely touches 60 in stress) I'm on intel stock heatsink btw.

BENCHMARK.png

A budget PC 

CPU - i7 3770 @3.4 Ghz  ; Cooler-  Antec A30 

Mobo - MSI H-61m P20(G3) ; RAM - 12 GB DDR3 ( 1x4 + 1x8 Dual Channel)

PSU - Corsair VS 450(grey label) ; GPU - Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini

Storage - 120 GB SATA SSD for Windows and PUBG; 500 GB HDD for other games

Case - Cheap ATX case

3.9 Ghz is the Turbo Frequency of a single core only, during multi threaded work load the CPU won't clock up this high, and during benchmarks where your hitting all the cores 3.4 Ghz is its all core frequency. T case temp max on that CPU is like 67c @ IHS and 105c T junction @ the Die. So depends on where your reading at If that is IHS temp your close to the limit.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

5 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

3.9 Ghz is the Turbo Frequency of a single core only, during multi threaded work load the CPU won't clock up this high, and during benchmarks where your hitting all the cores 3.4 Ghz is its all core frequency. T case temp max on that CPU is like 67c @ IHS and 105c T junction @ the Die. So depends on where your reading at If that is IHS temp your close to the limit.

That's not IHS I think. Because I assume you're right...And when there was a problem with my thermal place, before replacing the thermal paste I used to reach about 82-83 degrees while playing and I had no thermal throttling..So maybe it's T Junction

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

6 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

So If I do cinebench single core test will I achieve that clock on one core?

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

Most likely its T Junction, Even with good temps that is just the nature of the beast 3.4 Ghz is your all core frequency. With it being a non K sku, your overclocking is limited to increase of base clock which will increase RAM speed affect PCI-E link and chipset. 

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

2 minutes ago, Mr.Genuine said:

So If I do cinebench single core test will I achieve that clock on one core?

Assuming nothing else is hitting the CPU from the background yes you should see 3.9Ghz on 1 core you can use hardware monitor to see it. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

7 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

Assuming nothing else is hitting the CPU from the background yes you should see 3.9Ghz on 1 core you can use hardware monitor to see it. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

yeah i already have it..thanks for ur help mate

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

58 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

by the way is this the clock? I'm not able to find individual clocks..

BENCHMARK.png

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

32 minutes ago, Mr.Genuine said:

by the way is this the clock? I'm not able to find individual clocks..

BENCHMARK.png

If you right click anywhere on the CPU tab page it give you the clock speed for each core.

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

1 hour ago, ddennis002 said:

If you right click anywhere on the CPU tab page it give you the clock speed for each core.

Even in single core test all CPU cores go on 3.4 GHz

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

Check the bios and make sure that Intel Turbo Boost is enabled.  On the non K processors, you also need to enable the C states in the bios (at least C3).   This will allow the CPU to use the highest multiplier.  Use ThrottleStop if you want to check these settings.

5 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Check the bios and make sure that Intel Turbo Boost is enabled.  On the non K processors, you also need to enable the C states in the bios (at least C3).   This will allow the CPU to use the highest multiplier.  Use ThrottleStop if you want to check these settings.

How do you check C state in that app? There is a Disable turbo option which is checked under performance mode. Should I uncheck it?

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

On the main ThrottleStop screen, click on the button to the right of the BCLK button.  That will open up the C States window and show you what C states your CPU is using in real time.  When idle, all of the individual cores should be spending up to 99% of the time in either C3, C6 or C7.

qpuIla3.png

If Disable Turbo is checked, that is the reason your CPU is not reaching maximum speed.  All recent Intel CPUs use turbo boost so clear that box.

I think your non K CPU also supports limited overclocking.  Post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop Turbo Ratio Limits window so I can have a look.  It should say in there if overclocking is supported and how much.  I think +4 bins is typical but this might not be possible on a board with the H series chipset.

43 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

On the main ThrottleStop screen, click on the button to the right of the BCLK button.  That will open up the C States window and show you what C states your CPU is using in real time.  When idle, all of the individual cores should be spending up to 99% of the time in either C3, C6 or C7.

qpuIla3.png

If Disable Turbo is checked, that is the reason your CPU is not reaching maximum speed.  All recent Intel CPUs use turbo boost so clear that box.

I think your non K CPU also supports limited overclocking.  Post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop Turbo Ratio Limits window so I can have a look.  It should say in there if overclocking is supported and how much.  I think +4 bins is typical but this might not be possible on a board with the H series chipset.

I don't want to do any additional overclocking, that's why I didn't buy a K CPU. I just want it to go upto its turbo boost speeds
http://prntscr.com/myxpw3

Do you think I can change anything else here? - http://prntscr.com/myxqqf

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

43 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

qpuIla3.png

I think I can set multiplier to 39 T and enable it...What's your take?

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

17 hours ago, Mr.Genuine said:

I think I can set multiplier to 39 T

That is what needs to be done.  T stands for turbo.  This setting should allow your CPU to use its turbo ratios.  After you do that and put a check mark in the Set Multiplier box, run a TS Bench - 1 Thread test and post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while the CPU is loaded.  You will also need to click on the Turn On button to get ThrottleStop to feed the 39T multiplier to your CPU.

7 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Yes bro! It worked out. Thanks for your help. CPU reaches 3.9 now..

Screenshot_4.png

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

17 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Do I have to do the same process for other modes like game internet and battery? What's battery btw? O.o

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

I only use a single ThrottleStop profile on my computers.  If you decide to use more than one profile, you will have to set up each profile individually.

On 3/18/2019 at 8:26 AM, Mr.Genuine said:

What's battery btw?

ThrottleStop is most popular in the laptop community.  Some users like to setup a slower CPU profile when they are running on battery power.  I guess that one does not apply to your desktop computer.

9 hours ago, unclewebb said:

I only use a single ThrottleStop profile on my computers.  If you decide to use more than one profile, you will have to set up each profile individually.

Na one profile is fine..But even now in single thread tests like cinebench clocks don't go above 3.4 for some reason..while only in the test of throttlestop they go upto 3.9. 

I have a doubt that I've done something wrong. Whenever I open throttlestop the clocks easily go above 3.4 and upto 3.9. But as soon as I close it, they lock at 3.4 in any other stress test.

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

9 hours ago, unclewebb said:

ThrottleStop is most popular in the laptop community.  Some users like to setup a slower CPU profile when they are running on battery power.  I guess that one does not apply to your desktop computer.

PS - I just realized that Windows was on Balanced Power mode. If I change it to High performance, will it make a difference?

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case

On 3/19/2019 at 9:12 PM, Mr.Genuine said:

If I change it to High performance, will it make a difference?

Why not give it a try and find out.

If ThrottleStop is closed, what program are you using to monitor your CPU speed?  Most popular monitoring apps are not very accurate when running single thread tests.

Here are the specs for a Core i7-3770 from CPU World

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-3770.html

3900 MHz (1 or 2 cores)
3800 MHz (3 cores)
3700 MHz (4 cores)

As more cores become active, the maximum multiplier decreases.

Post a screenshot of Cinebench while it is performing a single thread test.  Include ThrottleStop in your screenshot.  You should definitely be seeing more than 3.4 GHz during this test.  See what ThrottleStop reports first.  If you want to know what your CPU is really doing, do not waste your time with other monitoring apps.  The competition does not follow the Intel recommended monitoring method and some of them are too heavy of a load so they interfere with your CPU running at its maximum single core speed.

13 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Why not give it a try and find out.

If ThrottleStop is closed, what program are you using to monitor your CPU speed?  Most popular monitoring apps are not very accurate when running single thread tests.

Here are the specs for a Core i7-3770 from CPU World

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-3770.html

As more cores become active, the maximum multiplier decreases.

Post a screenshot of Cinebench while it is performing a single thread test.  Include ThrottleStop in your screenshot.  You should definitely be seeing more than 3.4 GHz during this test.  See what ThrottleStop reports first.  If you want to know what your CPU is really doing, do not waste your time with other monitoring apps.  The competition does not follow the Intel recommended monitoring method and some of them are too heavy of a load so they interfere with your CPU running at its maximum single core speed.

When Throttlestop is open, The Cpu reaches 3.9. When it's off, it doesn't cross 3.4 in Cinebench singlethread..Btw I use MSI afterburner, Cam and CPU z. afterburner doesn't work in cinebench prime etc..So I use CPUZ and all clocks are at 3393 MHz. But they cross 3.6 (all of em) when I have ThrottleStop open in the same testing apps

A budget PC 

Case - Cheap ATX case