Should I liquid cool or air cool my cpu?

Go to solution Solved by EpiCheeseTime,

Liquid will make it not heat up as much nor as faster than air. Like @Chevy_Monsenhor said, if it fits, it sits.

Day to day use, air cooling will be plenty, but if you want to overclock and get every frame of performance out of your chip, then liquid cool it. You will be able to push more out of the chip, but you can over clock a little using the stock cooler, but not by much. With a client's 2600, I was only able to increase it by maybe 1.5-2 mhz. Where as putting a simple 120mm aio, i was able to get about 4.

Then again, each chip is different and your 2600 may hate being over clocked on air, if you have the money and room to add an AIO, go for it.

I'm making a mitx build with a Ryzen R5 2600 in a silverstone sg13, which of the two is a better option? 

The silverstone tundra TD03-lite is very tempting for sgd$45 and the only low profile air cooler that fits is the noctua nh L9a and it's $69.

My Main System :  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hk4pcY (Silverstone Sugo SG13W) 

My Home Gaming Pc : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hk4pcY (Silverstone RVZ03) 

O

If you can make the AIO fit in the SG13, go for it.

If you don't plan on overclocking the 2600 i think even the stock Wraith Spire cooler would do for you, if it fits, of course.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Liquid will make it not heat up as much nor as faster than air. Like @Chevy_Monsenhor said, if it fits, it sits.

Day to day use, air cooling will be plenty, but if you want to overclock and get every frame of performance out of your chip, then liquid cool it. You will be able to push more out of the chip, but you can over clock a little using the stock cooler, but not by much. With a client's 2600, I was only able to increase it by maybe 1.5-2 mhz. Where as putting a simple 120mm aio, i was able to get about 4.

Then again, each chip is different and your 2600 may hate being over clocked on air, if you have the money and room to add an AIO, go for it.

6 minutes ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

It's a video editing build, so yes I'll be overclocking. 

O

Video editing as a MITX, I would love to see that.

But then I would personally watercool it. It will protect your investment and keep things quieter/cooler in the long run.

Watercooler, cool way better and diferent from air you probably wont notice any diference if the day is hot

Stock cooler?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Nevermind, mini itx

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, EpiCheeseTime said:

120mm aio’s are in general useless. Need that 240mm rad for cooling properly 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Unless you have one of the eight core CPUs, I would recommend you to upgrade to those FIRST, than upgrading to a liquid cooler, because you get bigger gains with a 33% increase in core count (from 6 to 8), rather than from 3.9 GHz to 4.1 GHz, that means, you could get a Ryzen 7 2700 and stock cooler, which will yield more computing power, than Ryzen 5 2600 and liquid cooled to 4.1 GHz. That is assuming your Ryzen CPU can hit that safely. Max safe voltage for Ryzen is ~1.35V. You would get more performance by going with the 2700 and overclocking it to 3.8 GHz, compared to 4.1 GHz 2600.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I read your statement that this is for video editing, and that is why I suggest going with an 8 core 2700 rather than a 6 core 2600.

Edited by Berfs1
added reasoning for suggestion

8 hours ago, Berfs1 said:

Unless you have one of the eight core CPUs, I would recommend you to upgrade to those FIRST, than upgrading to a liquid cooler, because you get bigger gains with a 33% increase in core count (from 6 to 8), rather than from 3.9 GHz to 4.1 GHz, that means, you could get a Ryzen 7 2700 and stock cooler, which will yield more computing power, than Ryzen 5 2600 and liquid cooled to 4.1 GHz. That is assuming your Ryzen CPU can hit that safely. Max safe voltage for Ryzen is ~1.35V. You would get more performance by going with the 2700 and overclocking it to 3.8 GHz, compared to 4.1 GHz 2600.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I read your statement that this is for video editing, and that is why I suggest going with an 8 core 2700 rather than a 6 core 2600.

Thank you, I'll get a 8 core then. 

O

On 3/14/2019 at 8:37 PM, SGTechGamer said:

Thank you, I'll get a 8 core then. 

So, essentially, a higher core count chip will have a higher life expectancy rate compared to a lower core count (6 cores in this case) overclocked to match the computing performance of the eight core. However, IF YOU ARE GAMING, the Ryzen 5 2600X and a liquid cooler is your best bet if you are gaming, but a 2700 and stock cooler will match the computing performance of that combination, while taking less energy, thus lasting longer.