Way to unlock more frequency bands?

So I was looking at getting the Ulefone Power 5 but I noticed on US carriers it is only compatible with x1 4G & x2 2G bands with no compatibility for 3G on Verizon. Other carriers were simular or worse. Are more than one band in a generation class necessary for good cell phone reception and fast download speeds? I.E. With the 4G/2G compatible bands stated above would I notice missing other bands? This leads me to my next question. Has anyone unlocked a phones radio bands through hardware or software modification? Or since this may or May not be legal in your country, theoretically how could it be done?

9 hours ago, Jerrad said:

So I was looking at getting the Ulefone Power 5 but I noticed on US carriers it is only compatible with x1 4G & x2 2G bands with no compatibility for 3G on Verizon. Other carriers were simular or worse. Are more than one band in a generation class necessary for good cell phone reception and fast download speeds? I.E. With the 4G/2G compatible bands stated above would I notice missing other bands? This leads me to my next question. Has anyone unlocked a phones radio bands through hardware or software modification? Or since this may or May not be legal in your country, theoretically how could it be done?

As a general rule, you can't unlock radio bands -- it tends to be locked in hardware.  I was double-checking and couldn't find software solutions.

I'm not fond of getting phones with incomplete frequency support for a given region.  You might have one band of LTE, for example, but that doesn't matter much if it's either unused in some coverage areas or is necessary to keep speeds up.

Personally, I'd go with something like the Moto G7 instead.  Comparable pricing, still quite good... and, of course, fully supported in the US.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:48 AM, Jerrad said:

Bands are based on what radio's are in the phone. So if the phone doesnt support the bands, then your just fucked. ALSO Verizon is planning on shutting down their 3G network soon ish. Those bands will be reallocated to 4G and 5G services. Basically you just have to find a phone that uses as many Verizon bands. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.