10GBase-T switches, which one to choose?

Hi

I'm currently in the process of putting together a shopping list for a newly started video editing/post-production house.

I'm building everything from scratch, and when it comes to networking, I'm not the most experienced.

Our setup needs to serve 4K raw footage to 4 (iMac pro) clients, no proxies.

Furthermore, I'm going to build a transcoding server eventually, which will probably be threadripper based.

I'm going to need at least 12 ports, all at 10GB. 

What can you recommend, I've been looking at the Netgear XS724EM, but it might be too overkill?

Thanks!

check ebay/kijiji/craigslist for used stuff. you can get some steep discounts on enterprise dumping older gear or businesses just trying to minimize loss on stuff they'd otherwise throw away. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

11 minutes ago, joepost said:

Hi

I'm currently in the process of putting together a shopping list for a newly started video editing/post-production house.

I'm building everything from scratch, and when it comes to networking, I'm not the most experienced.

Our setup needs to serve 4K raw footage to 4 (iMac pro) clients, no proxies.

Furthermore, I'm going to build a transcoding server eventually, which will probably be threadripper based.

What can you recommend, I've been looking at the Netgear XS724EM, but it might be too overkill?

Thanks!

How many ports do you need?  That will probably determine what kind of switch to look for.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

18 hours ago, Falconevo said:

How many ports do you need?  That will probably determine what kind of switch to look for.

18 hours ago, joepost said:

There you go

2 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

There you go

Haha, yea i kinda wanted to say do you want to future proof over 12 ports but I was half asleep.

Either way, here are some better options depending on port requirements but i would advise looking at the second hand market as brand new these are big £££/$$$;

In no particular order, here are some 10GBase-T switches that are 36 port and smaller, some have SFP+ capability also and/or combo ports.

Arista 7050T-36 

Cisco SG350XG-2F10

Cisco SG350XG-24T

D-Link DXS-1210-12TC

D-Link DXS-1210-16TC

Netgear XS724EM

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply