Download speed is slower than Upload

Fesoj
Go to solution Solved by Falconevo,
1 hour ago, Fesoj said:

Hey all, I recently picked up a cheap Gigabit PCIe LAN card to try and reach my connections full potential but its not quite there yet.

I was wondering if there were any typical causes of slow speeds caused by a PC's Network settings other than the classic "people in your neighborhood are all online doing stuff" kind of deal.

The ethernet port(intel I218-V Gigabit LAN) on my motherboard had a driver update and i saw a change from like 300down to around 500down. After installing the PCIe card i am seeing numbers in the range of 700down. Pics related.

1.png

2.png

Run the test again with your task manager open, see if you are hitting 100% CPU while performing the download portion of the test.  This will skew your result and make it look worse than it is.  1G on SpeedTest.Net is quite CPU intensive due to them creating a large number of threads for download using TCP port 8080.

Hey all, I recently picked up a cheap Gigabit PCIe LAN card to try and reach my connections full potential but its not quite there yet.

I was wondering if there were any typical causes of slow speeds caused by a PC's Network settings other than the classic "people in your neighborhood are all online doing stuff" kind of deal.

The ethernet port(intel I218-V Gigabit LAN) on my motherboard had a driver update and i saw a change from like 300down to around 500down. After installing the PCIe card i am seeing numbers in the range of 700down. Pics related.

1.png

2.png

Honestly, I wouldn't be complaining about those kinds of speeds. Sure, there is the potential that people in your neighbourhood are also using it at the same time but you can't know until you try at various times of the day etc. 

However, most peoples download and uploads are not equal, I wouldn't worry about it. 

I mean heck, I only get 6.5mbps down and 0.8mbps up, I'd love your speeds. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 hour ago, Fesoj said:

1.png

2.png

Run the test again with your task manager open, see if you are hitting 100% CPU while performing the download portion of the test.  This will skew your result and make it look worse than it is.  1G on SpeedTest.Net is quite CPU intensive due to them creating a large number of threads for download using TCP port 8080.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply