Ryzen 3 2200G Overclocking Questions

Hello all,

I am running a Ryzen 3 2200G in my build and have applied (well I thought so at least) an overclock about 3 months ago when I built the system using AMD's Ryzen Master software. I am new to overclocking for the most part and am realizing that there is more to it than I may have thought.

This CPU runs a stock max clock of 3.5GHz, but I wanted to milk it just a bit from each core. I upped the core voltage just a bit and then upped each core incrementally to 3.75 GHz and was pleased with this... Until today - after helping a buddy build a Ryzen 7 machine, I went back to view my application of overclocking my CPU to maybe assist in overclocking his. This is when I realized my overclock was not how I remember leaving it. It seemed to surpass the stock 3.5 at times, but the core voltage was set back to stock so I was unsure how it had been running the few months prior. As a result, I tried overclocking it again, which I found some success in doing to 3.75GHz again, but then found that all 4 cores would stick at 3.75GHz all the time, no matter what I was doing. I reset all settings and restarted my machine. 

So this brings me to my question: 

How do I overclock this thing without having all cores lock to the max speed that I am overclocking to? I would prefer not to roast my CPU - even when just doing homework or browsing the forums. I have watched some tutorials but am not really getting anywhere.

Thanks in advance for helping a noob... But I am loving this stuff and learning as I go!

[Desktop]  [Ryzen 5 3600 6c/12t Stock]  [2x8gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz]  [RTX 3070 Ti FE Stock]  [Oculus Rift S]

[Laptop]  [i5-10300h 4c/8c @ up to 4.5GHz]  [2x8gb DDR4 @ 2933MHz]  [1660ti Max-Q]  [Oculus Rift S]

I use my motherboards software, ai suite. It has a feature called power saver or something, it basically just down clocks the cpu until it has a load, at which point it gets onto the profile set. 

I didn't use ryzen master as I found it a bit shit. 

There should be an option in the bios to be able to set the same kind of power saving feature. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

37 minutes ago, Oll_Greg said:

Your CPU is still going to be at idle power levels if it's not under load.

So it doesn't really matter if your voltage is always at 1.375V, 1.4V is about the daily max you want to run, and 1.2V for the SoC or iGPU Voltage. You can do pstate overclocking if it's really a concern so that it's at a lower voltage under less load.

The best thing you can do for performance is overclock and tune your memory.

Your CPU should be able to hit 4ghz at around 1.375V, maybe a bit higher clock, or maybe a bit less voltage.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Your CPU is still going to be at idle power levels if it's not under load.

So it doesn't really matter if your voltage is always at 1.375V, 1.4V is about the daily max you want to run, and 1.2V for the SoC or iGPU Voltage. You can do pstate overclocking if it's really a concern so that it's at a lower voltage under less load.

The best thing you can do for performance is overclock and tune your memory.

Your CPU should be able to hit 4ghz at around 1.375V, maybe a bit higher clock, or maybe a bit less voltage.

Hmm, interesting. when monitoring the CPU using afterburner and CPUID, it showed a constant 3.75GHz clock. 

I will have to check that video out tonight, finishing up some hw right now. 

Thank you for the quick response.

[Desktop]  [Ryzen 5 3600 6c/12t Stock]  [2x8gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz]  [RTX 3070 Ti FE Stock]  [Oculus Rift S]

[Laptop]  [i5-10300h 4c/8c @ up to 4.5GHz]  [2x8gb DDR4 @ 2933MHz]  [1660ti Max-Q]  [Oculus Rift S]

26 minutes ago, Oll_Greg said:

Hmm, interesting. when monitoring the CPU using afterburner and CPUID, it showed a constant 3.75GHz clock. 

I will have to check that video out tonight, finishing up some hw right now. 

Thank you for the quick response.

It'll stay at a constant clock with basic overclocking, but that doesn't matter for it's longevity or stress on the motherboard because it's still not doing work. .

You can also throw a fan over your VRM to make sure it stays cool, but the Pro 4 should be fine on it's own.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Did anyone tried just overclocking the GPU and not the CPU, I see few have done both 3.85 GHz and 1600+ MHz but I think overclocking only the GPU gives a bit more comfortable temps. And can this be done on Ryzen master because whenever i try to change anything in RYZEN master the CPU voltage is getting altered