6700K or Ryzen 7 1700?

Hey folks. I build a new Ryzen 1700 with the expectation that I would upgrade to the Ryzen 2 when it came out. The only issue is, I think I am getting lesser performance than my old 6700K. I was planning on selling the 6700K now and putting that cash towards the new Ryzen. Do you think I should sell the 6700K or go back to it and use it till the Ryzen 2 comes out? The 1700 is pretty good, but even at 3.9Ghz, it's definitely not as quick as the 6700K in games.

Do you think the price of the 6700 will drop once the Ryzen 2 comes out and I am better off selling it now? It's only a few months. Should I just sell and use the 1700? It's not bad per se, but its definitely going back a step.

What do you think?

If you are talking gaming, yes it was a significant downgrade going to the 1700. 

intel prices are always high, so your resale on the 6700k is going to be much better.

AMD was almost giving away 1700s at the end of 2018 with bundles ($150 cpu/mobo combos) and there is a glut of them, and also especially with people nonsensically upgrading from their 1700s to 2700s and trying to unload their first gen chips.

Sell the 6700k, keep the 1700, and just build a new system with a newer better mobo once Zen 2 comes out.

Use the 1700 for a plex server or something, or add RGB and sell it.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Plutosaurus said:

If you are talking gaming, yes it was a significant downgrade going to the 1700. 

depends on the game...

On more modern Games like Assasin's Creed Odyssey its better.

Also some stutering on some Multiplayer Games with the 6700K

1 hour ago, Xa3phod said:

Do you think I should sell the 6700K or go back to it and use it till the Ryzen 2 comes out? The 1700 is pretty good, but even at 3.9Ghz, it's definitely not as quick as the 6700K in games.

In some games, some others its different. What games do you play and/or are talking about? What framerate?

Anyway, yes sell the 6700K right now. Its worth as much as 150-200€, maybe you even find someone willing to pay more than that.

+ the money you get for the Board.

Do you think the price of the 6700 will drop once the Ryzen 2 comes out and I am better off selling it now?

Nobody knows it.

THe Price of the 6700 should already have dropped but people seem to be afraid of replacing the Motherboard...

It's only a few months. Should I just sell and use the 1700? It's not bad per se, but its definitely going back a step.

What do you think?

Well, I think if you sell the 1700, how do you get the Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS onto the Board...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

depends on the game...

On more modern Games like Assasin's Creed Odyssey its better.

Also some stutering on some Multiplayer Games with the 6700K

In some games, some others its different. What games do you play and/or are talking about? What framerate?

Anyway, yes sell the 6700K right now. Its worth as much as 150-200€, maybe you even find someone willing to pay more than that.

+ the money you get for the Board.

Nobody knows it.

THe Price of the 6700 should already have dropped but people seem to be afraid of replacing the Motherboard...

Well, I think if you sell the 1700, how do you get the Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS onto the Board...

Let's ignore the fact the OP already stated he feels it's a downgrade.

Let's also ignore the fact AC games run like trash on everything. The fact it is such a CPU intensive game hasn't anything to do with the actual game but just piss poor optimizations. You've cherry picked the ONE game where it might when come close, where objectively the 6700k/7700k is much faster in every other meaningful game.

This is AC Origins, and interestingly enough I'm unable to find any major review sites testing AC Odyssey for CPUs. It's the same shit engine with the same shit DRM.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3421-intel-i7-9700k-review-benchmark-vs-8700k-and-more

intel-i7-9700k-aco-1080p.png

Stock 7700k, which is essentially the same as a 6700k, beats every single stock Ryzen 2000 chip, not even counting first gen, and not even counting overclocking.

You've also managed to ignore the important part of my post, which was advice to sell the Intel part and replace with a Zen 2 part, and focus solely on the AMD pandering. It's old, man.

Edited by colonel_mortis

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I appreciate the info. Just so you know, I have a Rog-Strix X470-F Gaming mobo with 16 gigs of G.SKILL Flare X 3200 ram with an RTX2070. I can upgrade the bios before swapping chips.

I mainly play Planetside 2. I average 75FPS on max everything (1440p). I do believe I did better with the 6700K (OC to 4.6) with my old gpu (Vega 56). I feel the fps should never drop below 60, and when it does I find it annoying as hell. I considered getting the 2080, but I think the 2070 should do it and its the cpu that is holding me back. I figured I could manage with the 1700 til the 3000 series chip comes out and that is still my plan. The 1700 becomes unstable at 4.0Ghz, even when I throw a low of voltage at it. Also, even when its stable at 4.0Ghz, I find that the performance tapers off. 

So, my last question was, do you think the price of the 6700K will drop considerably between now and the summer when the 3000 series comes out? If now, I could reinstall it and use it til the 3000 comes out and sell it. Just won't want the price to drop like my Vega did. I took a bath on that damned GPU. Lost almost $80 on it. I'm sure you see my point.

i7's always seem to hold their value so I doubt it will lose any for quite some time. Ryzen 2 isn't going to be better than intel, it will just be matched performance at a much better price. 

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

3 hours ago, Brent744 said:

i7's always seem to hold their value so I doubt it will lose any for quite some time. Ryzen 2 isn't going to be better than intel, it will just be matched performance at a much better price. 

I heard it was going to match the 9900K, that is pretty good in my book. You think the Ryzen 2 is going to be heads and tails faster than a 6700K though, right?

28 minutes ago, Xa3phod said:

I heard it was going to match the 9900K, that is pretty good in my book. You think the Ryzen 2 is going to be heads and tails faster than a 6700K though, right?

Depends. If the application supports heavy parallelization, then yes. Also if you are heavily multitasking, you'll notice increases.

If not, then at equal clocks a 6700k isn't going to be slower than the 9900k or AMD equivalent (if indeed Zen 2 matches the 9900k in single core performance).

Realistically, in single threaded applications or lightly threaded applications, an overclocked 6700k is only slightly behind the 9900k because your average OC is going to be a few hundred mhz lower than the 9900k. Somewhere around 4.7ghz vs 5.0ghz.

An example is that most functions in Solidworks are only single threaded, and games like WoW only care about up to at most 4 threads. Performance (barring background tasks) won't be much different.

12 and 16 cores sound amazing, and for a slim portion of users it is, but for the vast majority of users, it's pointless performance.

I agree with Pluto here. An overclocked 6th gen is probably not far behind a stock speed 9th gen chip.

12 and 16 cores is overkill for almost everyone. 8 Cores is the sweet spot if you're gaming and into content creation. At times more cores may render slightly lower performance. The reason being now it has to share all that information with so many other cores. I am a systems engineer by trade and maintain a flight simulation. We have actually disabled all hyperthreading in every server because the simulation environment runs better on less cores.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

Thanks, guys. I put in my 6700K back in. Using it to type this. I'll run some games and see how it goes, but I know it will run faster.

I think if you were primarily using the rig to game, it was an overall downgrade. However, the 1700 will pull ahead obviously with it's 8 cores and 16 threads in heavy multitasking scenarios. The 6700K is still a very competent gaming cpu, better than any current Ryzen offering if you're just gaming due to it's comparatively high clock speeds once overclocked and it having just enough threads for most modern game engines. If it was the i5 6600K for instance, it'd be a different story, as a pure quad core is significantly slower than one with hyperhreading in intense multiplayer games such as Battlefield 1/5 and probably even Planetside 2. Honestly if gaming performance is where your major concern is, the 6700K is just the overall better chip.

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

Suck it up and stick with the 1700 for now as the Ryzen 3000 series is just around the corner, then upgrade the CPU when it arrives.  I think you can handle 10 less FPS for a few months. 

Only reason to keep the 6700K is if you have a good OC'ing chip.

19 hours ago, Gerr said:

Suck it up and stick with the 1700 for now as the Ryzen 3000 series is just around the corner, then upgrade the CPU when it arrives.  I think you can handle 10 less FPS for a few months. 

Only reason to keep the 6700K is if you have a good OC'ing chip.

Well, in Planetside it's literally an average of 75FPS for the 1700 and 115FPS for the 6700K. I'll keep the X470 mobo on the shelf and when the new Ryzens come out I'll see if its worth buying :)