BSOD - CPU or GPU to blame?

evo4ever

Hello all

Currently I've got my 8700K downclocked from my usual 5100mhz overclock to 5000mhz to save on temps. Now I've got the vcore set at 1.220v LLC7 and it runs Cinebench repeatedly without any problems or BSODs.

For my GPU I've got an MSI 2080 Gaming X Trio overclocked to 145/1050 (could go higher on the memory, im not finished with it yet).

I've just been playing GTA5 and about 10 mins into a mission I get a BSOD. And im baffled as to whats the blame for it! Dont CPU's BSOD and GPU's freeze/hang when theres too much overclocking going on? I'm getting no artifacts btw while gaming which is making me think my CPU aint getting enough volts for 5000mhz. What do u guys think? Help appreciated!

While Cinebench is good, it's not always the best for stability testing. Try AIDA64/Prime95 and see if things are good there.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

Simple solution, revert the overclock for each individually to find the culprit  *mind blown*

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Blue screens usually include an error code to help identify the source of the error... Go into event viewer (right click windows logo, select event viewer) open windows logs->system it should have an error log and possibly some useful information. Linus mentioned in a video a while back that they use blender to test overclocks because they find it does better than other stress tests to find instabilities

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Maybe I should revert my CPU back to stock speed and test the GPU core and memory one by one. Once stable move over to my CPU, or do it the other way round?

Don't overclock your GPU and run an actual stress test (prime95 or some other long running stress test) on the CPU.   Once you know your CPU is stable, then overclock the GPU.  Generally you want to change one variable at a time.

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

3 minutes ago, bloodthirster said:

Don't overclock your GPU and run an actual stress test (prime95 or some other long running stress test) on the CPU.   Once you know your CPU is stable, then overclock the GPU.  Generally you want to change one variable at a time.

I'm not being funny but I refuse to use Prime95 I think it's too heavy on the CPU. I'll use AIDA64.

9 minutes ago, evo4ever said:

I think it's too heavy on the CPU

26 minutes ago, evo4ever said:

downclocked from my usual 5100mhz overclock to 5000mhz

k then

6 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Just test each part individually. You aren't gonna solve anything by leaving one overclocked while testing the other's stability.

Thanks buddy

9 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Just test each part individually. You aren't gonna solve anything by leaving one overclocked while testing the other's stability.

Forgot to mention, how long should I stress test for? Would an hour suffice?

On 3/13/2019 at 12:36 AM, evo4ever said:

Forgot to mention, how long should I stress test for? Would an hour suffice?

the longer the better,i thin that an hour is enough,check you temp while you are at it

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

tower:antec p8 // psu:antec HCG 650w.

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

psu:antec 550w.

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

tower:antec p110 silent // psu:antec HCG 850w.