2007-2008 Desktop upgrade

Hello,

Up to this day my parents are still using my old rig from 2007-2008, which I built, when I was living together.
Now I want to make their experience atleast a little bit better. They are using it only for browsing and movies and no demanding software or games.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 running at 2.8Ghz
Cooler: stock

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800Mhz

GPU: NVidia 8600 gts

MBO: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3

HDD: 500GB 5400RPM

PSU: 300W unknown manufacturer from China
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 1280x1024 (I believe it is 19 inches)

What would you suggest to upgrade? Or just throw everything away and build a new machine? Maybe it is worth salvaging some parts?

Currently I'm thinking about replacing peripherals, monitor, and adding the SSD.
And after saving some money building a small micro ATX ryzen 3 machine and move the SSD to the new one.

Any advices? Opinions?

Sorry to say but throw everything away. Usually you can reuse PSU/Case and HDD but i wouldn't trust a 11 Year old yank China PSU, a 5400 rpm HDD is slow af and the case is probably bad.

At first an SSD might be an Improvement but I don't know if those old SATA controllers might have a problem using an SSD. After a short google search it appears to have AHCI but sometimes it fails to recognize the SSD.

Get a Athlon 200GE/220GE or a 240 GE plus a A320 Chipset Motherboard (might need a BIOS update). A Ryzen 3 seems a bit over kill if you only browse and watch movies. Get 8 GB of dual Channel RAM a nice 240 GB SSD and a decent 300 Watt PSU and you have a nice build for 350 isch $.

You can build new, yes, but you might get better value by going with a used Office PC, like the Dell Optiplex 3010, 3020, 9010 or 9020 or HP Prodesk 400G1/G2. They are all easy to upgrade and can be had for $100-150 depending on the market. That'll net you anything from a Pentium to an i5, 4-8GB of RAM. Just add a SSD and you're set.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

just replacing the boot drive with an SSD should help it well enough, maybe an extra 2-4gb of ram if they keep using up what they currently have.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Thank you for advices.
I will definitely need an SSD and I will try to look into the used market.
After a quick glimpse I found some systems with i5-2400 for 70 - 100EUR