please remove the new store thing on the sidebar...

I also happen to strongly dislike this as do some other people who were complaining about it in their status updates.

Edit: I've copied over what I said in @Princess Cadence's Status Update.

I also take issue with the links but not for the same reasons.

1. LTT Merch Link

LTT Merch shipping prices are awful and even the most loyalist diehard LTT fan isn't going to buy an LTT shirt on the LTT Store website if they live in Europe or Asia or really anywhere which isn't the US or Canada. And so putting that link there without fixing the issues with LTT Store I just mentioned is somewhat insulting. Especially since LMG themselves admit a lot of their audience is international.

2. LTT Discord Link

There was already an AD showing on the forum saying to checkout the Official LTT Discord and adding a new one in this place feels a bit desperate. Honestly, if the Discord serves the same purpose as the forum I don't really see the need to advertise it on here.

3. Supporting Floatplane Link

The reason why I dislike this should be fairly obvious, Floatplane is an alpha product and is not ready yet. I wouldn't recommend anybody but diehard fans of a creator on Floatplane purchase a subscription. Perhaps if Floatplane had a free version I would feel differently but Floatplane isn't meant to be free and that's a design decision by LMG.

4. Supporting the Forum Link

I also dislike this but for completely different reasons than above. None of the subscription options provide meaningful value and don't offer enough features to justify buying. Perhaps if they drastically increase file upload size limit or added a lot more in terms of functionality. As it is right now, if somebody wanted to support LMG then I would always pick paying for Floatplane (with the exceptions mentioned above) or buying merch (with the exceptions mentioned above). The biggest downfall of this is that the subscriptions for the forum offer nothing major in value because by design they were meant to not make non-paying people feel excluded.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I don't see any issue with that, and its not really much to complain about because people were complaining about the discord link not being on the front page.

Never known such precious people in my life lmao 

Get over yourselves 

Jesus 

It's a fucking panel

As though you all just look for something to bitch about because you can't find anything else to do

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

Until now, there hasn't been a link to the merch store or to Floatplane on the forum, and this block fixes that.

5 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

...you have a store page. if i want to buy something to support the forum i will go there.

The store page contains just Bronze, Silver and Gold contributor status, not Floatplane or LTT merch. Having moved the link to the sidebar, and made it more descriptive, I had been considering removing it from the nav.

i understand a lot of users have adblock on, but i don't. when i had it i always whitelisted the forum, and now i don't run adblock at all to speed my browser up. 

It was not designed with ad blockers in mind - on the contrary, how the site looks when someone is blocking ads is none of my concern (though it probably looks the same as to Bronze/Silver/Gold contributors, which is considered, and whose feedback I have explicitly requested, but how it looks to regular members is the primary consideration).

but regardless, now on a 1680x1050 screen with my Dock hidden the ad, that new thing and the calendar take up all of the space on the side. i mean all of it. i can't see any recent topics:

Before the block was added, you would have been able to see only the first topic in recent topics. Surely you scrolled anyway to read them?

It was designed primarily with 1080p screens in mind (with considerations for mobile too), on my 13" laptop, but 1680x1050 (-browser chrome and dock) doesn't look much different to me.

again, i understand why you'd want it there, so that the people who run adblock get to see the store instead of an ad, but please get rid of it at least for users like me who don't have adblock/whitelist the forum. 

maybe you could rename "store" to "support the forum", or perhaps you could make the new thing appear in the spot of the ad if a user has adblock on. but as it is now IMO i have to deal with an annoying amount of advertising. 

The purpose of the block is to collect LMG-related links, not to replace the ads.

As you may have seen, it was initially released as just a discord link, because I was tired of the discord topic being perpetually featured. Once that was released and refined, I figured it made sense as a place to put some of the other links that I had been trying to find a place for (especially the merch store - it seemed like a weird omission, and I suspect, without evidence to support it, that people assumed that the store link would take them there, which is bad UX). Having added the merch and floatplane links, it seemed like a logical extension to add the forum contribution link, so that everything was collected in one place.

I do genuinely believe that once you get used to it, as with many changes, you will forget that it was ever an issue. I am open to tweaking it in response to specific feedback, but so far I'm struggling to find any specific changes that I could make that would improve the issue, short of removing it entirely.

For those using ad blockers, I'm not going to stop anyone from using an ad blocker to remove the block, but I also make no guarantees that future changes won't screw up any ad blocking rules that are in place - not deliberately, but I won't be actively trying to keep your rules working.

HTTP/2 203

Eh, it's fine. You can just disable it with an ad blocker. 

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Before the block was added, you would have been able to see only the first topic in recent topics. Surely you scrolled anyway to read them?

This is the part im not understanding about the complaining.. even before it was there, on that display, theres no way you would have been able to see more than the first 2-3 topics at most, and would have to scroll to see more anyways.  literally one click of the scroll bar is enough to see everything.  this is just bitching because people are scared of change.

i like the new block addition. it looks good, gives all the options for supporting the company in one spot(although i think the discord link should be first or last, not in the middle since its the only one that isnt about giving LTT money and it seems out of place in that spot).  its not really intrusive and i dont even notice it anymore unless im looking.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Edit: I've copied over what I said in @Princess Cadence's Status Update.

I also take issue with the links but not for the same reasons.

1. LTT Merch Link

LTT Merch shipping prices are awful and even the most loyalist diehard LTT fan isn't going to buy an LTT shirt on the LTT Store website if they live in Europe or Asia or really anywhere which isn't the US or Canada. And so putting that link there without fixing the issues with LTT Store I just mentioned is somewhat insulting. Especially since LMG themselves admit a lot of their audience is international.

I agree that the international shipping prices are awful, but that doesn't mean the link shouldn't be added for the nearly half of site visitors that are in North America.

2. LTT Discord Link

There was already an AD showing on the forum saying to checkout the Official LTT Discord and adding a new one in this place feels a bit desperate. Honestly, if the Discord serves the same purpose as the forum I don't really see the need to advertise it on here.

The new link just replaces the old link, because a featured topic wasn't a good long term solution for it.

People had been requesting a chat for a while before the discord server was launched, and it's complementary to the forum. While they overlap in some aspects, the forum is certainly better for some things, and Discord for others.

3. Supporting Floatplane Link

The reason why I dislike this should be fairly obvious, Floatplane is an alpha product and is not ready yet. I wouldn't recommend anybody but diehard fans of a creator on Floatplane purchase a subscription. Perhaps if Floatplane had a free version I would feel differently but Floatplane isn't meant to be free and that's a design decision by LMG.

The link is primarily there for people who know what Floatplane is and come to the forum to find it. Like it or not, there are people who do want to support LMG on Floatplane, and the link is there to facilitate it.

4. Supporting the Forum Link

I also dislike this but for completely different reasons than above. None of the subscription options provide meaningful value and don't offer enough features to justify buying. Perhaps if they drastically increase file upload size limit or added a lot more in terms of functionality. As it is right now, if somebody wanted to support LMG then I would always pick paying for Floatplane (with the exceptions mentioned above) or buying merch (with the exceptions mentioned above). The biggest downfall of this is that the subscriptions for the forum offer nothing major in value because by design they were meant to not make non-paying people feel excluded.

The entire point of the contributor tiers is that they are a donation to keep up the forum, not a good value proposition. They aren't meant to justify buying, they are just meant to allow people to help support the non-negligible costs of running this site, if that's something that they'd like to do.

HTTP/2 203

Personally I dont want ANYTHING on the side, not the block, not the videos recommendations, not an AD, not the random topics suggestions, not the status updates and not the "Upcoming Events" which is usually just wan show, maybe LTX?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Personally I dont want ANYTHING on the side, not the block, not the videos recommendations, not an AD, not the random topics suggestions, not the status updates and not the "Upcoming Events" which is usually just wan show, maybe LTX?

You can disable all that with uBlock Origin for example.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

You can disable all that with uBlock Origin for example.

I use ublock origin but I'd rather not have to do all that to just have a clean and more readable site experience

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

I use ublock origin but I'd rather not have to do all that to just have a clean and more readable site experience

Well, you do you, just wanted to make sure you know about it.

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

This is the part im not understanding about the complaining.. even before it was there, on that display, theres no way you would have been able to see more than the first 2-3 topics at most, and would have to scroll to see more anyways. 

my issue was more about seeing my entire right side of the screen filled with essentially advertising. the scroling thing is still annoying but that bothered me more. 

4 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

The purpose of the block is to collect LMG-related links, not to replace the ads.

perhaps, but for me it's now: 

ad

link to donate to the forum (i already run ads so...)

link to floatplane (why)

link to discord (i already joined it)

link to merch (i don't want to buy merch)

end of display

i wish i could just say "i'm not interested" or something similar. just be able to click it away. it's an annoying amount of advertising. 

4 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

but so far I'm struggling to find any specific changes that I could make that would improve the issue, short of removing it entirely.

it could all be relocated to the top bar. example: 

edit.png.c94a9671f98d44fc6117c33bdfa830ea.png

this is a quick edit, but still. i left out LTT merch because there is already a "Store". 

the top bar is there to house links, and to otherwise stay out of the way. 

She/Her

21 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

my issue was more about seeing my entire right side of the screen filled with essentially advertising. the scroling thing is still annoying but that bothered me more. 

entire right side?  its a 2 inch box thats almost entirely ignorable.. it doesnt even follow you when you scroll like a lot of ads do on other websites.

i think you're stressing way too much about something that doesnt matter 

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

entire right side? 

yes. the normal ad, the box, and the calendar (essentially an ad for WAN show)

She/Her

After much thinking on the subject, I'd say that uBlock Origin really is the way to go if you don't appreciate it, it's a super/easy client side fix that should leave 'every one happy'.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I got like 15 posts into this thread...I have to know the ending - is this guy just unwilling to change anything and everything is the sites fault?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I got like 15 posts into this thread...I have to know the ending - is this guy just unwilling to change anything and everything is the sites fault?

this guy has a name. 

and i'm not unwilling to change anything. i'm just giving feedback about something i don't like. if you read all of it or just scroll up a little bit, i made a suggestion about how this could be implemented elsewhere. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

this guy has a name. 

and i'm not unwilling to change anything. i'm just giving feedback about something i don't like. if you read all of it or just scroll up a little bit, i made a suggestion about how this could be implemented elsewhere. 

@firelighter487 tbh your first "quite a few" rebuttals were based on websites setup not meeting your hardware specifications and your oddly seemed very unwilling to change anything (distance from screen, scaling, blockers, etc).

I queried this post because I couldn't spend another 10 minutes finding out if you had a change of heart.  I also made the post I did because I found your responses quite....childish so I wanted to poke and jab a little.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I queried this post because I couldn't spend another 10 minutes finding out if you had a change of heart.

next time before you make fun of someone make sure you read all of it. 

making fun of something, then being proven wrong and having to hide behind 'i didn't read all of it' makes you look like a bit of a loser. 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

next time before you make fun of someone make sure you read all of it. 

making fun of something, then being proven wrong and having to hide behind 'i didn't read all of it' makes you look like a bit of a loser. 

Awwwww do you feel better and bigger now for typing that up?

Make FUN of someone?  What did I call you?  How did you get made FUN of broseph.

Making fun of something, because that something is hilarious is something I will always do - and I don't hide nor shrink.  Ill gladly waste some time with ya.

27 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

this guy has a name. 

Top nav, right? Imo thats worse. Its fine now when it only takes up space from Recent topic on main site, and covers maybe area of first post in threads. Having all that, even under menu, on top bar is too much. I don't need to see it all the time, and I look at top bar more often than sidebar. Why don't you give it month or two? Change takes time to get used to.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i got a stupid, yet solving suggestion: make it editable

make the ads locked into place, but give us the opportunity to drag the links, topics and everything

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

i got a stupid, yet solving suggestion: make it editable

make the ads locked into place, but give us the opportunity to drag the links, topics and everything

so... a ton of work?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Or just make it look like mobile and place the sidebar at the bottom of the page where nobody will see it and thus we eliminate the issue while the links are still technically there.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),