Ssd upgrade options and better thermal solution

Laptop:Acer Predator Triton 500(PT515-51-70NC)

I heard that this model is running Two 256GB of  ssd in raid 0 mode by default(Correct me if I’m wrong.)Because I don’t think 512GB of storage will last me throughout my projects as I do video editing,coding and maya etc.I know External/cloud storage can resolve this issue but I still prefer to have 1tb of ssd on my laptop.Is the Samsung Evo 970 m.2 nvme viable?I would appreciate other recommendations as well.And If so,How do i transfer my Windows from the existing ssd to the new ssd,as in software/hardware method?Pardon me as I am new to this.Also,I did like to undervolt my cpu(i7 8750h)But I am not sure how to undervolt it properly as in which software should I use?Should I reapply thermal paste on both the cpu and the gpu as well to get slightly better temperatures after undervolt ?

Lastly,Just to confirm that this computer uses a ddr4 2666mhz of ram?Because My model only came with 8Gbs of ram and I am consider to further expand the memory dimm

My total Budget for the thermal paste,ssd and another 8GB would be around 300$ SGD.Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Bqtacke222 said:

Also,I did like to undervolt my cpu(i7 8750h)But I am not sure how to undervolt it properly as in which software should I use?

It's very easy to undervolt a laptop CPU. Download Intel XTU and AIDA64, and restart your laptop once they're both installed. Turn on your laptop and open up Intel XTU. Click "Advanced Tuning" in the top left and move the "Core Voltage Offset" slider to the left by around 25mV. Open up AIDA64 and run a CPU stress test for around 10 minutes. If your computer freezes or crashes, then move the "Core Voltage Offset" to the right slightly (give your CPU more voltage). If your computer doesn't freeze or crash, continue to undervolt your CPU more (by ~25mV at a time).

To give you some context, my 4700HQ's temperatures dropped by over 10°C under load after undervolting it by ~100mV.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

5 hours ago, Bqtacke222 said:

Is the Samsung Evo 970 m.2 nvme viable?

Too expensive imo, there are other cheaper yet decent SSD. Also, most users will be fine with a good SATA SSD

But I am not sure how to undervolt it properly as in which software should I use?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Lower-Temperatures-Stop-Throttling-and-Increase-Battery-Life-The-ThrottleStop-Guide-2017.213140.0.html

I would always choose Throttlestop over XTU

Should I reapply thermal paste on both the cpu and the gpu as well to get slightly better temperatures after undervolt ?

If you know how to do it including the difficult disassembly, then yes

this computer uses a ddr4 2666mhz of ram?

Check with CPU-Z first

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Too expensive imo, there are other cheaper yet decent SSD. Also, most users will be fine with a good SATA SSD

https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Lower-Temperatures-Stop-Throttling-and-Increase-Battery-Life-The-ThrottleStop-Guide-2017.213140.0.html

I would always choose Throttlestop over XTU

Check with CPU-Z first

Any recommendations for a cheaper and reliable ssd Brands you know of?thank you!

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

which brand of thermal paste would be efficient as in terms of reliability?

10 hours ago, Geography said:

It's very easy to undervolt a laptop CPU. Download Intel XTU and AIDA64, and restart your laptop once they're both installed. Turn on your laptop and open up Intel XTU. Click "Advanced Tuning" in the top left and move the "Core Voltage Offset" slider to the left by around 25mV. Open up AIDA64 and run a CPU stress test for around 10 minutes. If your computer freezes or crashes, then move the "Core Voltage Offset" to the right slightly (give your CPU more voltage). If your computer doesn't freeze or crash, continue to undervolt your CPU more (by ~25mV at a time).

To give you some context, my 4700HQ's temperatures dropped by over 10°C under load after undervolting it by ~100mV.

Thank you,I would give it a try.I appreciate the solution given by you to me.

5 minutes ago, Bqtacke222 said:

Any recommendations for a cheaper and reliable ssd Brands you know of?thank you!

Could you provide some links of online stores so that I can pick the good ones for you? Also, budget for SSD?

1 minute ago, Bqtacke222 said:

which brand of thermal paste would be efficient as in terms of reliability?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/which-thermal-paste-to-buy-and-apply-traditional-and-liquid-metal.806840/

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Could you provide some links of online stores so that I can pick the good ones for you? Also, budget for SSD?

Amazon,Newegg are some sites I woulf prefer but to be honest,I am a newbie at online tech shopping.My budget woulf be around 150-165SGD.Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bqtacke222 said:

Amazon,Newegg

So you're in Singapore? Any links of LOCAL online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

links of LOCAL online stores?

I suppose it would only be lazada because I dont think there are any more local E commerce sites.Thank you

https://www.lazada.sg

On 3/12/2019 at 7:13 AM, Bqtacke222 said:

1tb of ssd

Looks like you won't get 1TB SSD whit 165 SGD. Fine with 480-512GB?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 5:15 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Looks like you won't get 1TB SSD whit 165 SGD. Fine with 480-512GB

Yes I am actually fine with it.(Sorry for the late reply)

On 3/22/2019 at 10:13 PM, Bqtacke222 said:

Yes I am actually fine with it.(Sorry for the late reply)

Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe

Kingston A1000 480GB NVMe

Samsing 860 EVO 500GB

Crucial MX500 500GB

WD Blue 3D 500GB

Adata SU800 512GB

Transcend MTS830S 512GB

All in M.2 form factor

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...