What Happens When Windows 7 DIES?

Idk why this wasn't mentioned in the video when discussing Windows 8.1 but AMD graphics cards past RX series do NOT have driver support for Windows 8.1, which is the reason why I myself had to 'upgrade' from 8.1 to Windows 10

I'm just going to leave these here (with the rest of the fire)... and back away slowly.

index.png

index2.png

Bought a virtual warranty for my virtual machine. Cost me virtually nothing!

And this one...

INDEX3.png

4 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

OFF TOPIC: Just want to double check, does the sound in this video sound muffled or something?

No, it sounded a little off (hollow) to me as well.

Win 10's latest update is buggy (again). MS is recommending to not install it and remove it if it has already installed. they are supposedly working on a fix.

https://www.techspot.com/news/79110-latest-windows-10-update-causing-issues-gaming-performance.html

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 minutes ago, Nebari said:

No, it sounded a little off (hollow) to me as well.

Looks like they got a new editor, so I'll give them a pass. Give them some time to get better.

20 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Win 10's latest update is buggy (again). MS is recommending to not install it and remove it if it has already installed. they are supposedly working on a fix.

It's almost like Microsoft is using its user-base for beta-testing and quality control. <cue X-Files theme>

I can't wait for mandatory file scanning to be a thing

"Windows must check your files for any illegal material before it can proceed , press ok to continue"

and then for all you windows 10 lovers to be like 

"if you're not doing anything illegal then you have nothing to hide"

Windows 10 with minimum processes so i can make a low end Pentium II run like a Pentium GXXXXXX Extreme edition.

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

11 minutes ago, BetterThanLife said:

Windows 10 with minimum processes so i can make a low end Pentium II run like a Pentium GXXXXXX Extreme edition.

windows 10 doesn't support the pentium 2 or 3 anymore

windows 7 does

7 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

What's an enthusiast to do!?

What most of us already did: stop buying into sensationalism and either move on to 10 or keep using 7.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I have a solution

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

How are people still getting the free Win10 upgrade? ?

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

2 hours ago, Nebari said:

It's almost like Microsoft is using its user-base for beta-testing and quality control. <cue X-Files theme>

Actually, that is exactly what they are doing. MS has admitted to it. Home users get to try the updates first, then business users get the vetted updates later.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Actually, that is exactly what they are doing. MS has admitted to it. Home users get to try the updates first, then business users get the vetted updates later.

<nods> without a doubt.

It makes a degree of sense to utilize a largely hostage captive audience to test the product for you-- as long as Microsoft keeps providing the bread and circuses to their audience and their PR department can keep everything within an acceptable level of tolerances, most people won't do very much about the cost that are extracted in return.

It's a lot easier for millions of users/nodes with millions of configurations to find the bugs for you and report back instead of having to do it yourself. Cuts costs, faster releases, enables the OS as a Service model... which is all well and good if you had millions of users with dev environments but not so good for millions of users with their production machines at risk...

But this is why we have macOS and Linux and subreddits dedicated to self-hosting.

... If your ram smells there's something wrong with it...

✨FNIGE✨

Three things have kept me on Windows 7 from moving up to Windows 8/8.1 or even Windows 10:

1. User Interface. It's boring, bland and BUTT UGLY. Microsoft's bullshit PR spin to make Windows cross-platform was a huge flop. I'm a fan of Aero, transparency, desktop widgets and everything else MS stripped out of 10. Worse, their use of metro apps for settings now meant you had to hunt for stuff because it couldn't be found where it would usually be located, like in control panel. That learning curve to use gets particularly stressful when trying to troubleshoot problems with hardware, system settings etc...

2. Forced driver updates and data collection. The latter pisses me off, but the forced driver updates thing can pretty much turn a working system useless if those drivers DON'T WORK. Broken PC + learning curve mentioned earlier = WASTED TIME AND USER EFFORT The choice to update drivers should be mine, and purely optional, especially if hardware is working fine and nothing is broken.

3. Hardware compatibility. Windows 7 pretty much covers everything that has ever been released driver-wise, but not so with Windows 8/8.1/10. 4K disc playback and burner support for example may work fine in Windows 7 but be totally broken when you upgrade to 10. Sound card support is another area where it took a very long time for Windows 10 drivers to become available for certain products. For people building $10K+ workstations, using $4K tape drives and other expensive hardware, driver availability is more important than security patches. You don't want to be in a position where you purchase expensive gear that runs fine on your current OS, but ceases to work on a newer operating system.

And no, moving to MAC/Linux may be impossible if the OS doesn't play well with your hardware, offer drivers or support critical software. I use drag and drop LTFS on my tape drive, for example, which doesn't work with MAC because MAC wants to write an invisible file every time I open a folder/directory. I also happen to use StableBit DrivePool for redundancy, which doesn't have a CentOS alternative last time I checked.

I may be the guy that lives on the edge and continues to eat SPAM and use Windows 7 after the expiration date. I am careful online, use a firewall and maintain my anti-virus and anti-malware software. I also run daily system backups and can do a bare-metal restore at any time. Should I be worried? Would browsing in a VM be the preferred method then?

If business users can still purchase PC's TODAY with Windows 7 installed through downgrade licenses and pay for extended support for THREE MORE YEARS then no, I am not worried. Those guys have a LOT MORE to lose from getting hacked and having their systems compromised than your average home enthusiast who is just looking for a problem-free experience and enjoy their computer.

I jumped to Linux Mint 17.3 back when the whole Windows 10 curfuffle started back in 2015. Four years later, I'm running Mint 19.0 and couldn't be happier. I never thought I could be enthusiastic about an OS, but I love Mint.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

There is the possibility that the extended critical updates for $$ will be available on bittorrent and the like for free, who knows. Maybe as convenient hotfix installers, or a tedious install process.

And, despite lack of security updates, using common sense when browsing the web, keeping your browser up to date and using a leading Security Suite can do the job pretty well.  

@Luscious That's why I use Start8 on my 8.1 computer. No UI compromise for me.

If you want to permanently disable windows 10 updates, you have to be running a previous build (1703 or earlier it seems) of it before Windows Updates would re-enable itself after u disable it in Services and do a bunch of other things like block all access to the 'windows10upgrade' or whatever folder when it tries to give you a new build. But it's do-able. Build 1703 will allow Windows Update Service to stay disabled permanently. Newer (not sure which exact build the change occured), Windows will re-enable it on its own.

This is what I blocked with 'process blocker':
c:\windows\updateassistant\windows10upgrade.exe

c:\windows\updateassistantV2\windows10upgrade.exe

C:\Windows\softwaredistribution\download\bigarsewin10upgradeDir\windowsupdatebox.exe

C:\windows10upgrade\windows10upgradeapp.exe

and kill ALL permissions to 'windows10upgrade' folder so nothing can write into it. Success

How about running android on a PC? Not an emulator but an actual android OS?

I'm from the Philippines and work in the food industry (manufacturing and distribution). Our country is in love with their mobile phone and in my line of work the New Samsung Tab S4 with the pogo keyboard is godsend for someone jumping from conference room to conference room. Its light and has a ton of battery. Apps launch quickly, can easily sync on a larger screen making presentations a cinch.

Honestly, there's also a lot of good looking games on android.

So i think a computer running on android is a cool idea to explore.

15 minutes ago, Vainavi said:

How about running android on a PC? Not an emulator but an actual android OS?

It's possible.  Android x86 runs just fine on a lot of PC hardware. 

51 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

There is the possibility that the extended critical updates for $$ will be available on bittorrent and the like for free, who knows. Maybe as convenient hotfix installers, or a tedious install process.

The question is whether or not you can trust those torrented updates.  It would be an easy way for someone to infect lots of machines using an exploit that will never be patched.

14 hours ago, xeks said:

How are people still getting the free Win10 upgrade? ?

I had this happen recently when I built out my brother's PC.  I entered his old windows 7 pro key and it worked for Windows 10 pro

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Time to reluctantly grab 10 to run the new generation CPU's for a new build... An run a copy of my Win7 in a VM for everything else not internet related.

It would be one thing if Win10 was a free product and the telemary crap was the price of it. But no it's fucking paid and they still want more fill it with crap.