Should i buy a Optane 800P drive for OS, programs and compiling?

NunoLava1998

I don't mind the price, and hey it's fun to get a new storage technology that's currently the best

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

The 905P is currently the best.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The 905P is currently the best.

The 800P is the 905P with the Sequential Q32 speeds (which are mostly irrelevant) cut in half

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

The 800P is the 905P with the Sequential Q32 speeds (which are mostly irrelevant) cut in half

A lot of the other speeds are lower too, you said you wanted the best.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

A lot of the other speeds are lower too, you said you wanted the best.

Which speeds? Wasn't aware of that

I have both (as well as a bunch of other Optane drives).

The 905P is much faster both at the 4KQ1T1 and sequential side of the equation.

If you have the $ to play with cool tech toys (what Optane essentially is) the 905P is pretty amazing, especially when it comes to boot times.

If you have $ to burn you can even use a 905P to cache a huge SATA SSD like the 8TB Micron drive. The combination of speed and capacity would put you at a point far beyond what we will see in 2019 from a single drive solution.

12 hours ago, nosirrahx said:

I have both (as well as a bunch of other Optane drives).

The 905P is much faster both at the 4KQ1T1 and sequential side of the equation.

If you have the $ to play with cool tech toys (what Optane essentially is) the 905P is pretty amazing, especially when it comes to boot times.

If you have $ to burn you can even use a 905P to cache a huge SATA SSD like the 8TB Micron drive. The combination of speed and capacity would put you at a point far beyond what we will see in 2019 from a single drive solution.

Alright. I'll probably buy it, since I don't need the absolute best performance, and the 4KQ1T1 speed is still miles ahead of normal NVMes.

(((rip your wallet tho for buying the 905p, ever)))