Canada ISP - Montreal

migeo

I was wondering which ISPs are Montrealers using. I have bell giga fibe at my parents' house as my media server is there and it's the only one that has an upload speed higher than 50mbit/s. I know some you might argue that 50mbit upload is more than enough for streaming files on plex but most of my files are blurays that I ripped and kept at their highest settings so the bitrate is really big. Plus, we often are three or more using plex at the same time so a high upload speed is necessary. The only options I found are jumping from 50 Mbits/s upload to 750 with bell giga. Is there any alternative? My dad was hoping on not paying 86 + tax for internet. All others that I found have a slower upload rate:

- Videotron 400 down, 50 up

- Bell jumps from 50 up/down to 1 giga

- TekSavvy, Primus and all those smaller isp don't offer anything close to the upload speed required (and they are usually more expensive than the big names)

What's the best option? stick with the expensive giga fibe or try and see how a 50mbit/s upload speed works with us?

Thanks!

If you need more than 50Mbps, I'm afraid Bell is the only customer choice that fits this requirement. Soon, bell is supposed to open up their fiber network to TPIAs which might help bring the cost of the service down, but nothing certain.

Just now, AJJaxNet said:

If you need more than 50Mbps, I'm afraid Bell is the only customer choice that fits this requirement. Soon, bell is supposed to open up their fiber network to TPIAs which might help bring the cost of the service down, but nothing certain.

That's what I thought. It sucks that they are the only ones offering higher than 50mbps upload

2 hours ago, migeo said:

I was wondering which ISPs are Montrealers using. I have bell giga fibe at my parents' house as my media server is there and it's the only one that has an upload speed higher than 50mbit/s. I know some you might argue that 50mbit upload is more than enough for streaming files on plex but most of my files are blurays that I ripped and kept at their highest settings so the bitrate is really big. Plus, we often are three or more using plex at the same time so a high upload speed is necessary. The only options I found are jumping from 50 Mbits/s upload to 750 with bell giga. Is there any alternative? My dad was hoping on not paying 86 + tax for internet. All others that I found have a slower upload rate:

- Videotron 400 down, 50 up

- Bell jumps from 50 up/down to 1 giga

- TekSavvy, Primus and all those smaller isp don't offer anything close to the upload speed required (and they are usually more expensive than the big names)

What's the best option? stick with the expensive giga fibe or try and see how a 50mbit/s upload speed works with us?

Thanks!

Depends on what you upload. If you plan to have contentious upload rates without throttle or issue with the ISP, including the right to host a service (say, website), get a static IP, you'll need to get a business internet service. Those are all contract base.

As for Bell vs Videotron, or more: telephone line vs coaxial.

It depends where you are. If you live in a old home with old lines, then based on what you have the quality of service will be affected.

Please note that BOTH service are actually hybrid connections, where everything is fiber, until the "last mile" (your neighborhood block or building)

However, Bell offer an actual fiber line coming to your home.

Bell Home has tendency, with some customers, not all, to have a buggy billing service, that tends to, every now and then, to cause billing errors in their favors, which you need to call, wait forever on the line in the hope you give up, and fight with them on the agreement that was initially set. Bell business model is on people not paying attention to their bills, or don't have time to look into it. Videotron tend to warn you about increases in advance. Videotron tend to be more expensive than Bell, however. In both cases, your service is not automatically upgraded to a new faster plan even though it is cheaper or the same price. You need to be on top of things with both companies.

Bell likes to scare you about getting their insurance in the case telephone wire magically combust or break in your wall, and scares about some high fee for fixing if you don't have it. Don't fall for it.

As for any "protection" service that is included, skip it. They just give you a license with some anti-virus.

Videotron tend to not include a router, unless you need one (extra charge will apply as you are renting the router).. it's not a fancy one.. it is a very basic one with shitty router software from a Chinese company. Get your own. It will be better.

Bell tend to give you a modem + router combo unit. It is more of a jack-of-all trades master of none... you may want to get your own in any case.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Depends on what you upload. If you plan to have contentious upload rates without throttle or issue with the ISP, including the right to host a service (say, website), get a static IP, you'll need to get a business internet service. Those are all contract base.

As for Bell vs Videotron, or more: telephone line vs coaxial.

It depends where you are. If you live in a old home with old lines, then based on what you have the quality of service will be affected.

Please note that BOTH service are actually hybrid connections, where everything is fiber, until the "last mile" (your neighborhood block or building)

However, Bell offer an actual fiber line coming to your home.

Bell Home has tendency, with some customers, not all, to have a buggy billing service, that tends to, about each month or so, to cause billing errors in their favors, which you need to call, wait forever on the line in the hope you give up, and fight with them on the agreement that was initially set. Bell business model is on people not paying attention to their bills, or don't have time to look into it. Videotron tend to warn you about increases in advance, if any. In both cases, your service is not automatically upgraded to a new faster plan even though it is cheaper or the same price. You need to be on top of things with both companies.

Yeah we have experienced in the past problems with Bell's billing service and an increase without warning us in advance. Furthermore, we get a fiber line straight inside my home (in the garage which then connects to their shitty router. The good thing about bell is that you get the advertised speed or even above at any time of the day. I had previously Bell 300 up/down and I often had 330 or even 400 up/down but never under 300. When we were previously with videotron, we almost never had the advertised speed. Obviously all the tests were done with ethernet (cat6 since I have a lot of it in bulk). 

As for the static IP, I don't think I need one as I'm using a dns alias in order to remote desktop outside of home and I'm not uploading constantly, just when someone is using plex to watch a movie/tv show but all of this is taken care of.

14 minutes ago, migeo said:

Yeah we have experienced in the past problems with Bell's billing service and an increase without warning us in advance. Furthermore, we get a fiber line straight inside my home (in the garage which then connects to their shitty router. The good thing about bell is that you get the advertised speed or even above at any time of the day. I had previously Bell 300 up/down and I often had 330 or even 400 up/down but never under 300. When we were previously with videotron, we almost never had the advertised speed. Obviously all the tests were done with ethernet (cat6 since I have a lot of it in bulk).  

Yea, that really depends on where you are.

For example, where I am, it is the reverse. I live in a building, and the phone lines are old, so there is a lot of problems there in terms of connection reliability and speed with Bell. Videotron used to have similar problems... but Videotron made arrangement with the building, and install new lines. Since the new lines, I am getting, even during peek hours, a bit (1-5Mbps) above the speed advertised in both uploads and downloads. A smart move for Videotron, as now, nearly all the building is with them, and in a way, stuck with them.