what processor do you recommend for 1440p ultrawide?

nivra552

Hi guys im building a new pc when the ncase m1 arrives... I want to know which processor should I get now? Im planning to also buy a x34p monitor. My gpu is the 1080 and contemplating on selling it and getting a 2080 or 1080ti?

It's hard not to recommend the Ryzen 5 2600. If the goal is 1440p 60Hz, the 2080ti is excessive.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

It's hard not to recommend the Ryzen 5 2600. If the goal is 1440p 60Hz, the 2080ti is excessive.

is it good for 3440x1440 gaming at 120fps?

Just now, nivra552 said:

is it good for 3440x1440 gaming at 120fps?

Yes, the 2080 ti is good for that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Yes, the 2080 ti is good for that.

how about the processor? Ryzen 5 2600 is what you recommend?

Just now, nivra552 said:

how about the processor? Ryzen 5 2600 is what you recommend?

Ryzen is a very capable CPU for high refresh rate gaming, but Intel offers a superior experience. If you don't care about saving, an i7 8700k would offer more performance, but at quite a price premium, or an i7 9700k for increased overclocking capacity. The i9 9900k is technically better, but I can't recommend it for a gaming only build.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Ryzen is a very capable CPU for high refresh rate gaming, but Intel offers a superior experience. If you don't care about saving, an i7 8700k would offer more performance, but at quite a price premium, or an i7 9700k for increased overclocking capacity. The i9 9900k is technically better, but I can't recommend it for a gaming only build.

THanks! if you were me which would you go for?

1 minute ago, nivra552 said:

THanks! if you were me which would you go for?

the 8700k has the best value for intel that I mentioned, but the 2600 at only around $160 USD is a more compelling buy, with the AM4 socket offering much more upgradeability. An Intel CPU on sale is what I'd look for though.

Edited by fasauceome

Primary PC:

I think your system goes more and more GPU bound as you go higher in resolution. So maybe the GPU is kinda more important than the CPU. Not by much, but slightly. I think an i5 9600k wouldn't be a bad choice, and yeah people say R5 2600. I agree. If you are a bit less on budget or if you have an AM4 socket mobo lying around, go ahead with 2600 or 2600x or any higher..But I am usually kinda close to Intel because of its single core performance which is key in gaming..That's why I recommended 9600k..Choice is yours buddy. All I'd suggest is at least go for a quad core hyper threaded one..AT LEAST

A budget PC 

CPU - i7 3770 @3.4 Ghz  ; Cooler-  Antec A30 

Mobo - MSI H-61m P20(G3) ; RAM - 12 GB DDR3 ( 1x4 + 1x8 Dual Channel)

PSU - Corsair VS 450(grey label) ; GPU - Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini

Storage - 120 GB SATA SSD for Windows and PUBG; 500 GB HDD for other games

Case - Cheap ATX case