Hello all,

I decided to make the switch to Linux on my laptop yesterday as I was getting bored of Windows 10 and decided to change things up a bit.

The install went fine but I am not getting any wifi, not as in no signal but Ubuntu isn't detecting the wireless adapter. I've tried everything a Linux illiterate person like me could possibly try but it either doesn't work or there's an error and I don't know how to deal with it.

The wireless adapter as given by the "lspci" command in the terminal is:

03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

Any help whatsoever would be amazing as I've put too many hours of troubleshooting into this to give up now and I'd prefer not to fall back to Windows 10.

1 minute ago, campy said:

Reinstall windows 10.

I did the same thing, my audio stopped working and there was no fix available, my wifi kept randomly dropping out, I got a fatal error message that did nothing every startup, screen tearing galore because Compton is fuckin useless, getting a functional wm required me to install gnustep and its when I realized I was literally using nextstep from 1989 30 years after its introduction just to get rid of screen tearing that I uninstalled it and put windows 10 on here instead

Fuck, fair enough. This is just a laptop I use for browsing and YouTube so I guess it isn't worth the hassle.

have you tried turning secure boot in bios off?

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

If your wifi is connected and not getting full speed then follow this article:

https://itsfoss.com/speed-up-slow-wifi-connection-ubuntu/ 

Sorry for not replying, I ended up installing Linux Mint 19.1 and got the wifi working and all is good and it's heaps better than Windows 10. Thanks for even remotely trying to help my stupid ass.

Have a good day.

Glad its resolved ?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)