External RTX 2080 for old Pentium 2020m laptop

Go to solution Solved by 3 Lions,
Just now, LinusFan21 said:

If I pay 20$ to bump up 6gb RAM to 8gb, Pay 80$ for a quad core CPU, and then 60$ for the external GPU adapter that will cost me around 160$

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3630QM/3892vs626

That CPU is similar to the popular Pentium G4560 and I've seen people play games on them.

So even for 160$ you think it's just not worth it?

It's not worth wasting money on that laptop, you'll just have to live with what you've got. 

Hi everyone,

Recently I had my gaming PC confiscated :(

But I have an old laptop with an intel pentium 2020m, 6gb (1x2 1x4) DDR3 RAM, 500gb SSD (I upgraded it) Toshiba satellite C55-a.

Is it possible to remove my RTX 2080 and PSU out of my gaming PC and hook it up with my laptop using that thing Linus used in his external GPU for old laptops video?

I can remove my wifi thing and use a usb internet dongle.

If it is possible what kind of games will I be able to play? (I do understand it is a crazy bottleneck)

Anyways love you guys!

No that won't be possible with that laptop I'm afraid. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Thanks or the reply!

Why would it not be possible?

Thanks or the reply!

Why would it not be possible?

It's just not worth it, the bottleneck will be so extreme that games will be unplayable. Why was your gaming PC confiscated? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

15 minutes ago, LinusFan21 said:

If it is possible what kind of games will I be able to play?

Honestly, very few. Even then it would be a horrible bottleneck and the games would be almost unplayable. It just isn't worth it.

I'm afraid you'll just have to wait until you get the PC back. 

Thanks for the replies!

My My PC was confiscated because of bad grades, I used to have top grades until depression hit me.

Anyways I is it possible to upgrade my CPU laptop to maybe a quad core i5 or something?

6 minutes ago, LinusFan21 said:

Anyways I is it possible to upgrade my CPU laptop to maybe a quad core i5 or something?

To be honest I wouldn't waste any money on this laptop, you'll just not have to play games at the moment I'm afraid. 

زندگی از چراغ

If I pay 20$ to bump up 6gb RAM to 8gb, Pay 80$ for a quad core CPU, and then 60$ for the external GPU adapter that will cost me around 160$

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3630QM/3892vs626

That CPU is similar to the popular Pentium G4560 and I've seen people play games on them.

It's not worth wasting money on that laptop, you'll just have to live with what you've got. 

زندگی از چراغ

Ok then, looks like I will have to live with my potatoes.

Anyways thanks for helping me make a decision. Always appreciate you guys :)

If you really want to get in trouble then you find a way around the confiscation. Rather take the hit, then make a point of using it less and working a bit more. If you prove you can handle responsibility you'll (probably) get a lot more freedom from your parents. 

I know depression sucks, and sometimes you just van handle it anymore. But please realise that escaping into video games makes it worse. Maybe start cycling or something for an alternative dopamine hit. I can give more info if you need 

That's an F in the profile pic

Thanks for that reply!

In about a week I will need to do to the doctor to see what type of special pills I will need.

Apparently they are supposed to reduce the depression and get my concentration back.

I don't really know what to expect.

2 hours ago, LinusFan21 said:

Thanks for that reply!

In about a week I will need to do to the doctor to see what type of special pills I will need.

Apparently they are supposed to reduce the depression and get my concentration back.

I don't really know what to expect.

Be careful of the meds. Things like prozac can be quite addicting. You get better meds, but they're harder to get and quite expensive. 

Depression usually doesn't come from nowhere (hormone imbalances etc. can cause it) but it's worth trying to find the actual problem before you get put on meds.

Try and remember that most things in your life won't have real lasting consequences. If you flop a test, or mess up a social interaction, or an of a thousand little things, don't stress - learn from it and move on. 

I will also reiterate exercise. If I don't really exercise for a while my concentration goes out the window and I get frustrated quickly. Everyone is different though

That's an F in the profile pic

Thanks for the info!
I'll try to do some research on that subject before making any type of decisions.

I appreciate people like you.