Should I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

bws2007

So I have been considering getting a i9-9980XE of a Threadripper 3 when it releases but from what I was reading windows 10 pro does not support certain amounts of cores and threads. I was wondering if it is worth and do I need it and will it run games right and what is the NVDIMM-N would it give me better performance idk I haven't seen any videos on Windows 10 Pro for workstations that Linus has done and with his higher core computers he always was using Windows Server.

WIndows 10 pro will support your hardware fine. Windows 10 pro for workstations is make for much higherend hardware, with things like quad socket support, and super fast( > 10gbe) networking improvements.

Performance will be the same if you don't need the featus, just a few limits have been removed in for workstations.

it will work even if  threadripper 3990wx has 64c/128t like what was leaked and just bought a 10gbe and switch the other day

I believe OP might be referencing the Scheduler bug that's currently affecting Windows when ran on high core count CPUs?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

consumer hardware really wont need the workstation version of 10

Just now, Master Disaster said:

I believe OP might be referencing the Scheduler bug that's currently affecting Windows when ran on high core count CPUs?

I don't think it will make a difference. the scheduler is pretty simmilar on all versions of windows.

Just now, bws2007 said:

it will work even if  threadripper 3990wx has 64c/128t like what was leaked

Still won't help, still single socket, no super fast networking.

THere is no core limit on windows 10, its all socket based, and those are all single socket cpus.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't think it will make a difference. the scheduler is pretty simmilar on all versions of windows.

It does, the video covers TR but the bug also affects some Intel CPUs as well...

Edit

Hang on, I think I misunderstood you. You're saying upgrading to WFW won't make a difference. Yes you're probably correct.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

also would be duel socket support if I went with threadripper 3990wx the are also spec on the leaked stuff showed "Dual socket support only exist for Ryzen Threadripper series"ryzen-9-and-threadripper-3990wx.jpg?resi

Just now, Master Disaster said:

t does, the video covers TR but the bug also affects some Intel CPUs as well...

This was about the numa bug on windows, its present on windows 10 and windows server. The fig was a third parts program that stopped numa jumping. The edition of windows didin't matter

Look here https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-server-2990wx&num=2

Performance between windows server and windows desktop is pretty simmilar, there isn't big gains going to server.

2 minutes ago, bws2007 said:

also would be duel socket support if I went with threadripper 3990wx the are also spec on the leaked stuff showed "Dual socket support only exist for Ryzen Threadripper series"

I don't think there making a dual socket threadripper, but even if they did, windows 10 pro support dual socket, windows 10 pro for workstationsi s only needed for quad socket and above.

ok good because I guess I was misreading the websites or they where not showing the full story

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This was about the numa bug on windows, its present on windows 10 and windows server. The fig was a third parts program that stopped numa jumping. The edition of windows didin't matter

Look here https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-server-2990wx&num=2

Performance between windows server and windows desktop is pretty simmilar, there isn't big gains going to server.

I don't think there making a dual socket threadripper, but even if they did, windows 10 pro support dual socket, windows 10 pro for workstationsi s only needed for quad socket and above.

Yeah, see my edit, I totally misunderstood your post. My bad :)