changing brand new laptop's thermal paste

hi everyone , i bought a Lenovo idea pad 330s ( ryzen 5 2500u version) about a month ago and i want it to be as quiet as possible so i thought about changing the termal paste.

i already opened it to add 4 gigs of ram so there's no problem for that part.

the thermal paste i'll be using is the Cooler Master IC Essential E1 (i have it laying around) .

is it worth it , what temp temp decrease should i expect and is liquid metal (and coating) worth the extra cost ?

Lenovo usually uses really high quality thermal paste so the temperature difference may be within margin of error. Bob of All Trades on YouTube made a good video about a Lenovo laptop's thermal paste and performance, and I'd assume they probably use the same paste on all their laptops. Do NOT use liquid metal. If you're careful its fine for benchmarking, but please do not use it on a regular every day machine. You'd have to replace it every so often (probably twice a year or so but don't quote me) and thats assuming it doesn't leak out over time an kill your laptop completely. Also, welcome to the forum!

Space is pretty awesome.

11 hours ago, NewHopeTech said:

Lenovo usually uses really high quality thermal paste

Not really

11 hours ago, NewHopeTech said:

Bob of All Trades on YouTube made a good video about a Lenovo laptop's thermal paste and performance

That is only applicable for Legion Y740

On 3/8/2019 at 5:02 AM, thib.g said:

Cooler Master IC Essential E1

I suggest using a higher quality paste, but this will be better than stock too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

ok thanks you for the answer guys :)

On 3/8/2019 at 10:43 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Not really

That is only applicable for Legion Y740

I suggest using a higher quality paste, but this will be better than stock too

Well, I got the "don't use liquid metal" part right. 1/3 ain't bad.

Space is pretty awesome.

16 minutes ago, NewHopeTech said:

Well, I got the "don't use liquid metal" part right. 1/3 ain't bad.

That's true. Liquid metal is nasty stuff. It still reacts with copper albeit at a much slower pace. It is fun to use to melt metal items, but I wont ever put it on electronics that I plan to keep. 

It doesnt need to be replaced as often as you said though. A good application should hold up for 1-2 years. Honestly better than most performance non conductive pastes. The major caveat being it eventually will ruin everything it touches.

On 3/11/2019 at 12:20 AM, markr54632 said:

That's true. Liquid metal is nasty stuff. It still reacts with copper albeit at a much slower pace. It is fun to use to melt metal items, but I wont ever put it on electronics that I plan to keep.  

It doesnt need to be replaced as often as you said though. A good application should hold up for 1-2 years. Honestly better than most performance non conductive pastes. The major caveat being it eventually will ruin everything it touches.

Quite the caveat

Space is pretty awesome.