Need help choosing the right Motherboard!

Hi, peace,

This will be my first build ever, for the cpu, I will be using i9-9900k, after searching, learning & planning for more then two weeks, I couldn't decide on choosing among these mobos:

GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE

GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER 

or

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code 

Using purposes will be, watching 4k & 1080p content mainly, web surfing & gaming. I want to be served for at least 5 years, in other words I don't plan to upgrade my mobo for at least 5 years. I am leaning more towards "Gigabyte Designare or Master" rather than "Asus" because of the vrm issues, bad cm & not many good reviews lately, but, I am willing to change my opinion after hearing your suggestions & experience using both companies mobos.

I also want to know the difference between "Aorus Master & Designare", for example: what does "aorus master" has that "designare" hasn't (other then TB3, dual Gbe lan & DP) & vice versa. Does "Aorus Master" has more oc ability over "Designare"? I searched but couldn't find any comparisons between the two.I like the "designare" because of TB3, in the future, I may buy an external TB3 compatible ssd, other then that I don't know of any good usage of it for me, at least for now. So, based on that, I am waiting for your suggestions.

One more thing I want to know about is I have read buyers reviews on Amazon & Newegg, some of them mentioned they got DOA mobos, I am really worried about that, I want to know how many of you got your mobos DOA & how many times with mentioning the brand name?

Thank you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) | GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX 5700 XT | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Storage: Silicon Power 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Monitor: BenQ EX2780Q | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Given the information you're coming here with (awesome that you've done your research!), it's largely subjective input that you're looking for.

Theoretically it looks at though the Aorus Master has a very slightly higher overclock potential, but it's not something that's going to make or break a reasonable stable clock.
Of these two, the designated has a more comprehensive IO

For my subjective input, i'm going to direct you here, as to why I don't recommend Asus.

When it comes to DOA motherboards, I've had two first-hand in my years of experience, one with Gigabyte, one with ASRock. if I extend that to non-first hand experiences, I've seen dozens on this forum, and i've helped a friend diagnose his issues, and they span across all major manufacturers. It's an unavoidable fact of manufacturing, things aren't done quite right every single time. Any reputable brand will have a warranty, as to if they'll honor it without having to be a show pony, is another circumstance.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

3 hours ago, Semper said:

Given the information you're coming here with (awesome that you've done your research!), it's largely subjective input that you're looking for.

Theoretically it looks at though the Aorus Master has a very slightly higher overclock potential, but it's not something that's going to make or break a reasonable stable clock.
Of these two, the designated has a more comprehensive IO

For my subjective input, i'm going to direct you here, as to why I don't recommend Asus.

When it comes to DOA motherboards, I've had two first-hand in my years of experience, one with Gigabyte, one with ASRock. if I extend that to non-first hand experiences, I've seen dozens on this forum, and i've helped a friend diagnose his issues, and they span across all major manufacturers. It's an unavoidable fact of manufacturing, things aren't done quite right every single time. Any reputable brand will have a warranty, as to if they'll honor it without having to be a show pony, is another circumstance.

Thanks for the reply & sharing the link, I have read the whole post, what an horrible experience! 

That's why I am really worried, I live in KSA & finding the parts I want here are super difficult & lets say if I found the desired parts, they're extremely expensive!

I have some more questions to ask you, I hope you don't mind. :) Please bear with me as this is my first time shopping online for such an expensive parts!

Let's say if you're building a PC for yourself with the same specs I mentioned above (mobo+cpu) & for the same using purposes as me, which mobo will you choose, Gigabyte master or designare? If not gigabyte then Msi or Asrock or any other brand?

Will you advice to purchase from Amazon or Newegg? if the mobo I get is DOA, will I have to pay the return shipping for RMA?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) | GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX 5700 XT | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Storage: Silicon Power 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Monitor: BenQ EX2780Q | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

39 minutes ago, Detective said:

Thanks for the reply & sharing the link, I have read the whole post, what an horrible experience! 

That's why I am really worried, I live in KSA & finding the parts I want here are super difficult & lets say if I found the desired parts, they're extremely expensive!

I have some more questions to ask you, I hope you don't mind. :) Please bear with me as this is my first time shopping online for such an expensive parts!

Let's say if you're building a PC for yourself with the same specs I mentioned above (mobo+cpu) & for the same using purposes as me, which mobo will you choose, Gigabyte master or designare? If not gigabyte then Msi or Asrock or any other brand?

Will you advice to purchase from Amazon or Newegg? if the mobo I get is DOA, will I have to pay the return shipping for RMA?

Ultimately, my choice for the majority of my components goes to EVGA. They have the best customer support in the industry as far as I'm concerned. I've never had an issue they weren't ready and willing to solve. They stand behind their products because they build quality products. They've also got a solid UEFI as well, though even I will admit that I believe that Asus has the best of them all.

Between the ones you have listed, my personal vote would go to the Designare, it's got more features and IO that are most appealing to my use, on a more shallow level, I also prefer the way it looks (I'm very much not a fan of the Aorus eagle/logo)

Unfortunately, I can't speak as to which one would be better for you personally. I've had good experiences with both, but it's also not difficult to find others who hate one or the other (or both).
Amazon generelly has very solid return policies here in the United States, but again, I can't speak as to your situation.
Newegg's global return policy doesn't clearly define if you will or will not have a return shipping fee.
Unfortunately, i also don't know the warranty/RMA laws that you have, should it arrive DOA, you may have options to return it to the manufacturer for replacement and/or repair (I.E. Gigabyte)

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

16 hours ago, Semper said:

Ultimately, my choice for the majority of my components goes to EVGA. They have the best customer support in the industry as far as I'm concerned. I've never had an issue they weren't ready and willing to solve. They stand behind their products because they build quality products. They've also got a solid UEFI as well, though even I will admit that I believe that Asus has the best of them all.

Between the ones you have listed, my personal vote would go to the Designare, it's got more features and IO that are most appealing to my use, on a more shallow level, I also prefer the way it looks (I'm very much not a fan of the Aorus eagle/logo)

Unfortunately, I can't speak as to which one would be better for you personally. I've had good experiences with both, but it's also not difficult to find others who hate one or the other (or both).
Amazon generelly has very solid return policies here in the United States, but again, I can't speak as to your situation.
Newegg's global return policy doesn't clearly define if you will or will not have a return shipping fee.
Unfortunately, i also don't know the warranty/RMA laws that you have, should it arrive DOA, you may have options to return it to the manufacturer for replacement and/or repair (I.E. Gigabyte)

Once again thank you so much for replying & sharing your thoughts. 

I also was leaning towards Designare, but, today when I was looking at both Designare & Master specs on Newegg I came across this:

Other Connectors:

Arous Master:

1 x CPU fan header
1 x water cooling CPU fan header
4 x system fan headers
2 x system fan/water cooling pump headers
2 x Addressable LED strip headers
2 x Addressable LED strip power select jumpers
2 x RGB LED strip headers
1 x front panel header
1 x front panel audio header
1 x S/PDIF Out header
1 x Thunderbolt add-in card connector
1 x Trusted Platform Module (TPM) header (2x6-pin, for the GC-TPM2.0_S module only)
1 x OC button
1 x reset button
2 x temperature sensor headers
2 x BIOS switches
1 x Clear CMOS jumper
Voltage Measurement Points

Designare:

1 x PEG power connector
1 x CPU fan header
1 x water cooling CPU fan header
2 x system fan headers
1 x system fan/water cooling pump header
1 x RGB LED strip header
1 x front panel header
1 x front panel audio header
1 x S/PDIF Out header
1 x Clear CMOS jumper

Again I don't even know some of the mentioned specs functionality but, I think more is better!, especially give the lifespan of the mobos I am targeting for, I think.

One dumb question if you will allow me, I was battling in my mind as to ask this or not, but, then I said to myself if I feel embarrassed & don't ask, my knowledge about things will remain the same (downgraded :p ). you mentioned that "you don't know the warranty/RMA laws we have here" but since I am going to buy from Amazon or newegg, shouldn't they be responsible for DOA & RMA? I mean what's the link between our laws & RMA via Newegg or Amazon? Can you please shed some light on that? 

Also I found this article in Newegg's KB: Refunds, partial refunds and restocking fees in which it is mentioned that "Defective items (no fault of customer)" will get free shipping label, but, haven't heard many good reviews on their returning policy. I am thinking about buying mobo from Amazon as I have also heard good things about their CS, while considering buying the remaining parts from Newegg.

9 hours ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

Asus: 

Gigabyte:

So do you want a bad VRMs or BIOS?... Between the two Id say go Gigabyte despite how much I dislike using their stuff, but out of curiosity any reason you're set on one of these two companies?

Thanks for replying & sharing the links, I have already watched Buildzoid other video about Gigabyte z390 mobos, that's why I am thinking of going with Gigabyte even though I am already aware of their bois having bad reputation.

As for asus, I wanted to hear from those who are using those particular models & the good reputation about their bois, but after hearing about their horrible CS, I am thinking of avoiding them!

But I am open to any recommendation that offers same or even better options, oc availability & longevity as I prefer quality over brand. Please do recommend any other mobos you think can handle my demands with mentioning the model name. :)

19 hours ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

Costs less and has more dimm slots :https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188197

Makes my legs weak: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188198

Gig's pricing doesn't look super crazy so I'd still say they're an option too

Also bear in mind I'm not Buildzoid by any means but this looks pretty okay https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACVB8S95865&Description=z390&cm_re=z390-_-13-144-210-_-Product

Thanks for reply & the links, First option (EVGA FTW) is a 8 phase mobo & thus doesn't look appealing to me.

The other two options are worth looking into, especially the second one (EVGA z390 Dark), read some good reviews of its other version (x299 Dark) on Amazon, currently looking into it (EVGA z390 Dark). The only downside of this mobo for me for now is, it doesn't support 64GB RAM & only support 5.1 channels.

18 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra would be my suggestion. Saves you about $50 over the Master. Has a solid VRM.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n6gzK8/gigabyte-z390-aorus-ultra-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-aorus-ultra

Thanks for replying & sharing your thoughts.

It doesn't look very much different from the Master, will consider it if in the end I went with the Gigabyte.