Smart Home of the Future Networking Problems

I was inspired by this (https://www.howtogeek.com/406022/if-you-plan-on-installing-a-ton-of-smarthome-devices-skip-wi-fi/) article that in the future, all wifi smart home devices could be a mess for the home network. So, I was thinking about some possibilities except from standard hubs.

1. I don't know if this would work or is even possible in a home network, but, subnets can route traffic more directly. If that can work, is it just as simple as adding an separate access point to manage all the devices and somehow managing them?

2. Would it be possible to connect a router with a completely separate network to the main network as a normal devices and connecting all the smart home devices to the 'sub' network. This could allow the 'sub' network to work as a hub. I think that this should work for devices that communicate through their company servers to the other devices like phones, but I am not sure. Also, can devices that communicate locally still work?

Are there any other innovative ways (or simple ones that I overlooked) to solve this problem? And, do offices and schools use the subnetting approach?

im pretty sure that hubs are a glorified version of your #2. idk how come they didnt mention that in the HTG article (they usually recommend things like this). from my knowledge and limited experience with networking, #2 is the best solution to the problem. 

15 minutes ago, Saksham said:

im pretty sure that hubs are a glorified version of your #2. idk how come they didnt mention that in the HTG article (they usually recommend things like this). from my knowledge and limited experience with networking, #2 is the best solution to the problem. 

Yes, hubs are, but I intend to find a solution that can replicate a hub + is on WiFi + is completely in the admin's control.

4 minutes ago, karmanyaahm said:

Yes, hubs are, but I intend to find a solution that can replicate a hub + is on WiFi + is completely in the admin's control.

asus routers can act in repeater mode. basically making it a wifi connected range extender (or wifi connected switch). use something like that as they have the best admin control imo. try get something with ddwrt support if you want even more control. 

if we're being practical, most of the smart home features we think about now will be hard wired or at least on a wall/ceiling

Security systems, whole house sound, lighting, etc.

these kind of hings can simply be hardwired into the network to avoid extra wifi components. Some other components like smart scales and fridges and coffee makers can be controlled through bluetooth connecting to a hub or phone. 

So for the most part, the number of wifi hogging devices really shouldn't be increasing much. The networking complexity in a modern house will be increasing but most of it will be on the hardware and ethernet side

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

A Wi-Fi router can theoretically support up to 255 connected client devices. But, even though it’s possible to connect 255 devices to your router

you might end up getting very close to hitting that 255 number

I am triggered.