Still need help with RAID card

i modded the case to fit larger graphic cads since i wanted to try gaming on this Server for laughs

7 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

it came with a Perc 6 controller but cant use it as it wont do anything past 2tb in RAID and i dont know what you mean but hotswap backplane just a standard plug and play 

Ah interesting so you have internal drives only? Well believe it or not that makes things pretty easy... all you would need is either a RAID controller with the SFF-8087 to SATA breakout cables or just plug them into the onboard ports on the motherboard. Sorry I pretty much assume everyone has hot swap backplanes with these old servers...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Razor Blade said:

Ah interesting so you have internal drives only? Well believe it or not that makes things pretty easy... all you would need is either a RAID controller with the SFF-8087 to SATA breakout cables or just plug them into the onboard ports on the motherboard.

if i was to use FreeNas someone mention a VM for windows 10, that would be another topic for another day, but i assume i can set aside 250gb for that VM and i plan to upgrade the Server to two CPU i think the 6c/12th i dont remeber the exact CPU and 32gb of ECC RAM, so i would give the Windows 10 VM 4c/8t and 8gb ram, would running Freenas off a USB affect the Windows 10 VM performance

Dang - I've never seen a T410 in that configuration before.

Are those "bays" just connected to loose cables that feed back to the PERC Card?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Dang - I've never seen a T410 in that configuration before.

Are those "bays" just connected to loose cables that feed back to the PERC Card?

the cable in the bays came from other PCs i took apart, they are just really long Sata power and data cables plugged into the MB

right now im just using it as regular windows 10 pc until i can get my RAID Server set up this August

1 minute ago, tjrose91 said:

if i was to use FreeNas someone mention a VM for windows 10, that would be another topic for another day, but i assume i can set aside 250gb for that VM and i plan to upgrade the Server to two CPU i think the 6c/12th i dont remeber the exact CPU and 32gb of ECC RAM, so i would give the Windows 10 VM 4c/8t and 8gb ram, would running Freenas off a USB affect the Windows 10 VM performance

I would opt for 48GB (6x 8GB) instead, since you'll get Triple Channel RAM (the optimal config for this server). Also, be careful with which RAM Sticks you buy. I had compatibility issues, and ended up buying refurb official Dell PN RAM.

This RAM here:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-8GB-Memory-DDR3-PC3L-10600R-SNPP9RN2C-8G-PowerEdge-T610-T710-T620-R720/202412025356?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here's the official Dell PN:

SNPP9RN2C/8G

Search eBay for that, and you'll get loads of results.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i was planning to use a 8x4gb config and need to double check with Crucial and use their  free scan tool

Just now, tjrose91 said:

i was planning to use a 8x4gb config and need to double check with Crucial and use their  free scan tool

You can do that - but if you want to add more RAM later, you'll have to remove some of the 4GB sticks (and either store them, or try and sell them).

By using 8GB sticks, you can get the same (or more) RAM and still have 2 or more slots open for expansion. The max the server supports is 64GB (8x 8GB).

if you get 4x 8GB, you'll have the same 32GB of RAM, but will have 4 open slots to use later. You'll also get Dual Channel, which is still good.

IMO go for the highest density RAM you can afford. Less power consumption and room to expand if you do decide to go with FreeNAS (which benefits from more memory)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would opt for 48GB (6x 8GB) instead, since you'll get Triple Channel RAM (the optimal config for this server).

*snip*

Doesn't the T410s have 8 DIMM slots?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Just now, Razor Blade said:

Don't the T410s have 8 DIMM slots?

IMO go for the highest density RAM you can afford. Less power consumption and room to expand if you do decide to go with FreeNAS (which benefits from more memory)

They do, but they're still only a Triple Channel memory controller. It's quite clear about it in the Datasheet.

believe if you max out all 8, it still runs in Triple Channel, but 4 slots share the same channel, but I'm not certain - it might actually drop down to Dual Channel instead.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

You can do that - but if you want to add more RAM later, you'll have to remove some of the 4GB sticks (and either store them, or try and sell them).

By using 8GB sticks, you can get the same (or more) RAM and still have 2 or more slots open for expansion. The max the server supports is 64GB (8x 8GB).

if you get 4x 8GB, you'll have the same 32GB of RAM, but will have 4 open slots to use later. You'll also get Dual Channel, which is still good.

i dont plan to go past 32GB of ram since its going a long long time before i fill up 20tb of hard drive space and is it 1gb per tb of space even if its in raid 5, i mean like i plan to use 4x6tb hdds so would that mean i need 24gb ram or 20gb ram

Just now, tjrose91 said:

i dont plan to go past 32GB of ram since its going a long long time before i fill up 20tb of hard drive space and is it 1gb per tb of space even if its in raid 5, i mean like i plan to use 4x6tb hdds so would that mean i need 24gb ram or 20gb ram

the 1gb per tb is complete bs, ram really depends on the usage, and more is always better, but for a home nas, you can get away with a lot less.

1 minute ago, tjrose91 said:

That 1GB per TB has been proven over and over to be an.....

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

the 1gb per tb is complete bs, ram really depends on the usage, and more is always better, but for a home nas, you can get away with a lot less.

well... you beat me to it lol

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Just now, tjrose91 said:

Wait, the reason you're adding 32GB of RAM is because "1GB per 1TB of space"?

That's a completely false myth.

ZFS does not require 1GB of RAM per 1TB of space. ONLY Deduplication requires that, and Dedupe on ZFS isn't great to begin with, so don't use Dedupe.

If you're not doing anything crazy, a single 8GB stick will do you just fine. Go with 2x 8GB (16GB total) if you want extra RAM. 

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

ZFS does not require 1GB of RAM per 1TB of space. ONLY Deduplication requires that, and Dedupe on ZFS isn't great to begin with, so don't use Dedupe.

Isn't dedup really around 5gb per TB of space, but depends on a few others. But really don't use dedup for most uses.

i was just going off the Video Linus did in the link i provided on the top of the Page regarding RAM and FreeNAS plus it seems like i can do a VM for windows 10 too

2 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

i was just going off the Video Linus did in the link i provided on the top of the Page regarding RAM and FreeNAS plus it seems like i can do a VM for windows 10 too

If you want to run vms aswell you probably don't want to use freenas, id look into proxmox(has the same zfs filesystem) or anouther hypervisor

Also since you want zfs, you don't want a raid card, you want a hba. Look for a dell h200. I think that was a option in those dells, so they will work fine, and you need sff8087 cables aswell.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Isn't dedup really around 5gb per TB of space, but depends on a few others. But really don't use dedup for most uses.

The old spec given by the devs was 1GB per TB of space - that's where the "myth" originated from. People didn't read the fine print, somebody stuck it in some "Recommended specs" guide, etc, and suddenly the world thinks ZFS needs 1GB per TB.

In terms of whether that's still standard practice? I have no idea - it very well might be 5GB per 1TB now. I do know that even with the old recommendation, "More RAM = Better" was always true for dedupe, so the 1GB per TB was, I think, more of the "minimum requirement for decent performance".

6 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

Linus is (occasionally) wrong, and notoriously doesn't know pretty much anything about Servers.

As @Electronics Wizardy mentions, if you want to use VM's, I'd stay away from FreeNAS. It can, but not well.

I have the same T410 server (mind you, a bit different config), and I use ESXi (There's a free version) that works really well. I then have FreeNAS setup in a VM.

Proxmox, as Wizardy suggested, is another fantastic choice - it supports ZFS right out of the box, so you don't even need FreeNAS for a Proxmox setup.

T410 can use a H200 RAID Controller which can be flashed to IT mode for use with any ZFS based appliance such as FreeNAS etc.  The H200 supports disks over 3TB and supports SATA3 speeds per port (H200 has 8 internal 6Gbit/s ports)

You can pick up a H200 that is pre-flashed from places like eBay, below URL is an example;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-H200-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-LSI-9210-8i-9211-8i-P20-IT-Mode-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/163142320696

You will need to have SAS 8087 to SATA breakout cables, each SAS port will support up to 4 SATA devices.  You have the T410 with the inside bays rather than front loader hot-plug.  The drives can still be hot-plug but you have to take the chassis side panel off.
Cable needed looks like this and are cheap as from eBay.  The cable is a Mini-SAS 8087 to 4i SATA breakout cable.
image.png.316fad71c2d15c37847718f17b544565.png

With the above, you will get IT (HBA) mode with disks which work fine for ZFS, hot-plug capability and sufficient bandwidth for all disks and future expansion if needed.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply