Jump to content

Building a Home Server NAS/Media-Server/Game Server

CASyHD

Hey Guys i want to build s small Home Server for all my needs.

I Want it to be a Media Server for In-Home Media Streaming but also a Backup and Data Server for our Windows Pc´s, and I would also like to let it run Game Servers from time to time (like Minecraft or CS:GO), So my Question is how can I realize that?

I thought about a Ryzen 2200G/2400G or Maybe the Upcoming Ryzen 3XXXG, a Windows Server distributuion for the ease of Running Windows Apps and stuff. The thing is I also wanna Upgrade my main rig when Ryzen 3 comes out so I would have an I5 4460 with mobo, ram and a power Supply lying around the thing with that would be idk how media Encoding would be on the I-gpu and its not as Power efficient as a new CPU, so yeah what would you do and would it be actually possible to build a server like this for my needs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering that what you want also requires a hard drive capable of supporting a large workload, I will paste the link to the Seagate IronWolf specifications in case you wonder, it was designed for NAS servers: https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf/

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Obligatory Unraid tag here.  I also would look at a high core count chip since you're looking for multiple items.  8+ cores would probably be suitable, and I think 1st gen Ryzen or if you're comfy on ebay an older xeon would work just fine, and probably cap out at less than $200 with the mobo.

Then you run into not having a GPU but since you're not really doing anything actually GPU-intensive your GPU budget can go straight to <$50 or even less.   

HDD-wise @seagate_surfer's recommendation isn't too bad.  Earlier today I actually got an email about discounted drives on newegg.  Not sure how much storage you need, that'll be your decision based on the media.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, thenonsense said:

Obligatory Unraid tag here.  I also would look at a high core count chip since you're looking for multiple items.  8+ cores would probably be suitable, and I think 1st gen Ryzen or if you're comfy on ebay an older xeon would work just fine, and probably cap out at less than $200 with the mobo.

Then you run into not having a GPU but since you're not really doing anything actually GPU-intensive your GPU budget can go straight to <$50 or even less.   

HDD-wise @seagate_surfer's recommendation isn't too bad.  Earlier today I actually got an email about discounted drives on newegg.  Not sure how much storage you need, that'll be your decision based on the media.  

isnt the media Streaming GPU encoded and what about the newer Codecs with an old Xeon or Ryzen 1st Gen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CASyHD said:

isnt the media Streaming GPU encoded and what about the newer Codecs with an old Xeon or Ryzen 1st Gen?

I'm pretty sure you can go software-encoded for media streaming.  What's you media streaming tool of choice?  On that topic, what GPU were you considering, if anything besides an iGPU.
Regarding the CPU, Xeon will be cheap, but Ryzen still has its timeline to not deprecate the chipset till 2020.  Hence I would go Ryzen.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, thenonsense said:

I'm pretty sure you can go software-encoded for media streaming.  What's you media streaming tool of choice?  On that topic, what GPU were you considering, if anything besides an iGPU.
Regarding the CPU, Xeon will be cheap, but Ryzen still has its timeline to not deprecate the chipset till 2020.  Hence I would go Ryzen.  

actually no GPU and I wanted to know which Media Stream Service would suit best for my case

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, CASyHD said:

Hey Guys i want to build s small Home Server for all my needs.

I Want it to be a Media Server for In-Home Media Streaming but also a Backup and Data Server for our Windows Pc´s, and I would also like to let it run Game Servers from time to time (like Minecraft or CS:GO), So my Question is how can I realize that?

I thought about a Ryzen 2200G/2400G or Maybe the Upcoming Ryzen 3XXXG, a Windows Server distributuion for the ease of Running Windows Apps and stuff. The thing is I also wanna Upgrade my main rig when Ryzen 3 comes out so I would have an I5 4460 with mobo, ram and a power Supply lying around the thing with that would be idk how media Encoding would be on the I-gpu and its not as Power efficient as a new CPU, so yeah what would you do and would it be actually possible to build a server like this for my needs?

Any idea what OS you're wanting to run? Figure out exactly what you want to do. Start with hardware you have. Build something that works and get used to it first. Then you can start an upgrade path without dumping unnecessary amounts of money in.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

 

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

ESXI

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Any idea what OS you're wanting to run? Figure out exactly what you want to do. Start with hardware you have. Build something that works and get used to it first. Then you can start an upgrade path without dumping unnecessary amounts of money in.

I agree with this.  Let's talk architecture.

I'm still voting Unraid for your base.  It's pretty lightweight and has a very healthy community.  It's also relatively inexpensive.  

Plex would be a have decent media server.  

Create VMs for your game servers (I think minecraft servers can function in a docker on Unraid just fine).  Personally I prefer VMs over dockers because they're a bit more contained, but they do incur overhead and necessitate stronger hardware.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pay for OS options such as the ones Lime tech (Unraid) and Microsoft (Windows Server) offers have trials. I highly recommend taking advantage of those before committing to purchase. Don't rule out the free options... there are many completely free Linux choices as well.

 

First starting out, Download several and start playing around with them. Many will even run on regular cheap $5 flash drives (not Windows Server though)...So you could pick up a couple 16GB drives off Amazon if you want to just play around with it. One thing to note... if you go with Unraid, IIRC you MUST use a flash drive. So if that is your OS of choice, invest in a good thumb drive...while you could probably transfer the license, it is best to leave that as an "only if necessary" recovery option.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

 

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

ESXI

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×