HDMI 1.4 vs 2.0 in gaming

webguy

I am looking for a monitor to buy for gaming and I want as top of the line as I can do within my price range.  I was looking at possibly getting the asus PG258Q but then I just saw that it is hdmi 1.4 not 2.0.  I was planning to probably do a 240hz monitor to get a really high refresh rate for competitive fps games like apex legends or pubg.  Does the hdmi 1.4 vs 2.0 make a big difference?  Would it be better to only look at monitors using hdmi 2.0?  I will be gaming from an xbox one x and a gaming pc.  Thanks!

Apparently 240HZ isnt that much better than 144HZ, And what GPU are you using, Its very difficult to get a locked 144 with a 2080ti at 1080p max,on Apex, never mind 240, So take that into consideration. 

How does 120hz work on an xbox then if the xbox one x only has hdmi outputs?  The one x supports up to 120hz from what I have read.

Thank you.  For now I will be playing apex using the xbox one x but I am planning to build a gaming pc with a 2080 gpu and i9 processor in the next month or two and want the monitor to work great with that as well.

6 minutes ago, webguy said:

How does 120hz work on an xbox then if the xbox one x only has hdmi outputs?  The one x supports up to 120hz from what I have read.

HDMI can support 120 Hz just fine, but G-Sync monitors are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI.

Would that also be true if I use a hdmi to dp adapter from the xbox to the monitor?  I do not know much about monitors and gsync.  I just wanted to buy the best setup I can in my budget and thought gsync was the best.  

What games can you run over 60fps on an xbox? Lucky to hit 60 on multiplayer games.

Ok so 60fps matches the hz of the monitor?  Then if I had a 144hz monitor and the xbox only put out 60fps then the monitor would only do 60hz?  Is that how that works?  Plus keep in mind that this monitor is also going to be used with a powerful gaming pc in the near future.  My friends play on xbox which is why I want to still play on it as well.

10 minutes ago, webguy said:

Would that also be true if I use a hdmi to dp adapter from the xbox to the monitor?  I do not know much about monitors and gsync.  I just wanted to buy the best setup I can in my budget and thought gsync was the best.  

You can use HDMI to DisplayPort adapters up to 1080p at 120 Hz but the more adapters you add the less reliable things will be, it is much better to simply get a monitor that supports 120+ Hz over HDMI. Also be careful not to mix up HDMI to DP adapters with DP to HDMI adapters, they are not bi-directional.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

You can use HDMI to DisplayPort adapters up to 1080p at 120 Hz but the more adapters you add the less reliable things will be, it is much better to simply get a monitor that supports 120+ Hz over HDMI. Also be careful not to mix up HDMI to DP adapters with DP to HDMI adapters, they are not bi-directional.

Ok thank you.  Then would it be a better option to do a freesync monitor due to xbox one x supporting freesync?  Does that make a difference in competitive advantage in fps games?

1 hour ago, webguy said:

Ok thank you.  Then would it be a better option to do a freesync monitor due to xbox one x supporting freesync?  Does that make a difference in competitive advantage in fps games?

Yes, use a FreeSync monitor. There's no reason to get a dedicated G-Sync monitor anymore, especially since NVIDIA supports FreeSync now.