Gigabit ethernet doesn't work when installing a wall socket

raulmoran

Hello,

Yesterday I ran a gigabit cable from my router in the basement, to my office in the third floor. I plugged it directly to my computer and it showed that the connection was 1 gigabit. However, I didn't want to have a hole in my wall as I thought it was a bit sloppy, and therefore bought a wall socket. The problem comes after wiring the RJ45 cable in the wall socket., when my computer displayed that the connection was 100Mbs. I tried wiring it again, and nothing happened. What can I do?

BTW both the cable and thhe wall socket are cat 6.

Thanks

Get a cable tester to check if any of the (google says it's "cable wheels") in your ethernet cables are shorting out. This will reduce your bandwidth from 1Gb/s to 100Mb/s.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

My only guess is either the color pairs were incorrect or the twisted pairs were untwisted too much?

Just now, myselfolli said:

Get a cable tester to check if any of the (google says it's "cable wheels") in your ethernet cables are shorting out. This will reduce your bandwidth from 1Gb/s to 100Mb/s.

Shouldn't this be necessary only if I had never had 1Gb/s??

1 minute ago, Zagna said:

My only guess is either the color pairs were incorrect or the twisted pairs were untwisted too much?

What do you mean by twisted pairs?? As for the color pairs, I've checked them and they're good.

Just now, raulmoran said:

Shouldn't this be necessary only if I had never had 1Gb/s??

Well it depends on how you connected to your wall socket. It may just be the wall socket itself for all I know, my magic crystal won't tell me

So is the rest probably

Just now, raulmoran said:

What do you mean by twisted pairs?? As for the color pairs, I've checked them and they're good.

ethernet cables consist of 4 paris of twisted cable cores, which is neccessary to get the desired bandwith. If the pairs have been untwisted too much or if the isolation is removed too far, you will experience bandwith issues, like you are now.

So is the rest probably

15 hours ago, myselfolli said:

ethernet cables consist of 4 paris of twisted cable cores, which is neccessary to get the desired bandwith. If the pairs have been untwisted too much or if the isolation is removed too far, you will experience bandwith issues, like you are now.

Did what you told me and it worked!! Thank you!!