What to look for in a projector.

thybarbam

Hey i dont know if this is the right place to post this, but i trust this forum the most.

Im looking for a projector and a projector screen. My budet is 1000-1500$. Also im aiming for a 100-120 inch Electric screen

Anyway What is important when bying a projector and a projector screen. Is it Worth buying a 4k projector with my budet or should i go for a quality HD projector.

Also i live in Europe Norway.

Projectors in that price range are not real 4K anyway so buy a decent full HD instead. BenQ has good prices in Sweden on NetOnNet. I think they sell in Norway as well?

Check this one out. Only heard good things about it. https://www.netonnet.se/art/ljud-och-bild/projektor/projektor/benq-w2000/223099.9120/

Also they sell a screen at 108" electric that is really cheap and surprisingly good for that price to be honest. A few drawbacks though. It has an awful smell that will last a few weeks before you get rid of it and the instructions are wrong on how to make the screen stop where you want it to stop. If you go down that route just pm me and I can help you with that part. Oh and it does not roof mount out of the box like it says in the description. Easy fix though.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:53 PM, thybarbam said:

Hey i dont know if this is the right place to post this, but i trust this forum the most.

Im looking for a projector and a projector screen. My budet is 1000-1500$. Also im aiming for a 100-120 inch Electric screen

Anyway What is important when bying a projector and a projector screen. Is it Worth buying a 4k projector with my budet or should i go for a quality HD projector.

Also i live in Europe Norway.

Try to look for recogised brands (sony, toshiba, insignia etc.) and also a decent brightness level and contrast ratio

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

So as a live event AV tech look at these branda NEC, BenQ, panasonic, sony, or sanyo. 

In terms of features to look for at your price piint there are no 4k projectors worth getting.  You will want to get at least a 3k lumens projector, this is the most important.  The reason is that the brighter the projector the more light the room can have and still see dark colors on screen along with the fact that the peak lumens rating on any projector in this price range will only work for the first 10-20 hours of use and will then start degrading quickly.

Next I would look for DLP specificly Texas Instruments DLP this will get you the best color accuracy avalable in this price range.

After these two features you start geting in to things like if it needs air filters and if the air filters are replaceable, and throw distance of lenses.

Throw distance of lenses is good to think about and works off of a multaplyer factor of the screen.   Short throw lenses so lenses that run 0.6-0.25 of your screen size require a rigid/hard screen to get the best results from.

If you have not bought a projector yet then here’s my advice (for you or anyone that reads this at a later date.)

Get DLP or LCOS (Sony calls this SXRD). I’d avoid LCD/LED projectors if you can, they just aren’t as good. I agree that you wouldn’t want to try for a 4k in that price range, the pixel shift technology is not as good as true 4K.

I got a barely used Sony HW30ES on eBay a few years ago for $600. Really nice 1080p full HD projector. I put it in my parents house in a completely dark room. They have a 92” screen. If you look on eBay I’m sure you can find something good too.

Brands I would recommend for home theater projectors

-SONY

-JVC

-Panasonic

-Marantz (though, I don’t think they make them anymore)

Brands I wouldn’t recommend

BenQ

Optoma

Optavision (this company is actually a scam)

Philips

Infocus

LG

brands I probably wouldn’t use for home theater but I like.

NEC

Christie

Barco

Sanyo

Epson kind of falls in the middle for me. They are not my preference but they’re also not terrible.

What are you looking to do on the projector? Movies? TV? Games?

You are likely looking for at least 3000 ANSI lumens, full hd, and DLP or SXRD (if sony)

Keep in mind any mounting hardware you may need as well.